What's new

Worst non-bodily function related smell? (1 Viewer)

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
mercaptans (including ethyl mercaptan) are used as odorants for natural gas and propane. Ethyl mercaptan is also one of the constituents of skunk scent.

StephenA

Screenwriter
The smell of cooking Vienna sausages is a pretty vile smell. I dread the times my cousin cooks them.

Another one would be stagnant swamp/marsh water and mud. Disturb that stuff and it's like you're in a sewage treatment plant.

Jeff Gatie: I recognize that conversation, but can't quite pinpoint what show I saw it from.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
The CIA & KGB while trying to figure out a way of leaving notes in dead animals found out that other animals would eat them & the note.
They both found one thing that was so horrible that no animal would even come near....Tabasco!

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Interesting. But I wonder if it was more about the fact that tabasco hurts their sense of smell rather than it being offensive?

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Just thought of another animal smell that is truly repulsive: ever had a garter snake excrete that white substance on your hands as you were holding it? It's a defense mechanism much like a skunk's, but I personally consider the snake's to be an even more potent chemical - you just can't wash it off!

Grant B

Senior HTF Member

That was from a History channel on the cold war and they really didn't get into that side of it. I thought it was interesting that the 2 sides came up with it independantly.....rats and wolves were the hardest to get rid of but Tabasco did the trick.
For a while the US agents would put notes attached to rocks and put them in rocky fields. The KGB started using infared because the rocks in the warm cars would show up easily on their infared detectors and so they would intercept the notes.
You could tell a CIA agents car back then because they all started using coolers (even in the dead of Moscow winters) to 'fix' that problem
The old cat and mouse game

DavidBL

Stunt Coordinator
Chalk up another vote for durian here. It smells so bad it's

banned with signs like this from being taken into public venues like the subway in Singapore.

I also noticed some votes for cat urine. When I was a teenager my friend threw a beanbag chair on my head that his stupid cat had peed in. You think it SMELLS bad...:eek:

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
I've always been curious about durians. My local Wegman's had them on sale, but at $50 per fruit, my curiosity was thwarted.

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
Wow. Some amazingly smelly stuff here. It makes one almost curious to smell it. Sort of like, "Oh come on. How bad can it REALLY smell?"

My humble entry is something that may not be up there with some of the previous entries, but it is a smell I have recently found that I cannot stand.

Mop water.

I HATE that smell. I work in a hospital and cleaning crews are always moving their cleaning carts around. If I see one coming, I head the other way. That skanky, dusty, hideous retched smell. Gah!

StephenA

Screenwriter
Well it's understandable why mop water in hospitals would smell real band, with a lot of the stuff that has to be mopped up there. Mop water can smell pretty bad when a kitchen or bathroom has been mopped up, so add all the things from a hospital and that smell must be multiplied.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps hospitals should have better hygenic standards than a bathroom or kitchen. But they don't. I recall reading a letter in the New Scientist claiming that factories producing processed food products generally have higher standards of cleanliness. The text is reproduced below.

A far cry from The Jungle, perhaps...

Diallo B

Screenwriter
i can't beleive that no one here has mentioned rotten raw chicken or old bananna peels.

these smells are definitely those that are unique unto themselves and a lil' goes a long way.

if i am cooking, anything that is biological goes outside right away. i have never understood how some people could simply throw biological waste into the house garbage and smell that crap for a couple of days or until they take the garbage out. Talk about trifling......

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I don't know Diallo, often I'll light one of my "Rotten Chicken" Yankee Candles and fall asleep to its' intoxicating aroma.

Diallo B

Screenwriter
more power to you mark!

don't ever invite me over to your place for a dinner party or to enjoy your home theater system... lol.

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
I can add a new stink to this list...

Burning capacitor.

My computer decided to fry its power supply, the motherboard AND the processor. :angry:

I was about ready to pray to the porcelain sewer god.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks