Worst non-bodily function related smell?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Paul Padilla, Aug 10, 2005.

1. Paul Padilla

Paul Padilla Supporting Actor

Pouring out some severely aged coffee earlier I had the twisted idea to pose this question.

What is the worst non-bodily function related smell you can think of?

Scorched coffee or burnt popcorn for me.

Also, old 80/90 gear lubricant.

2. DustinLC

DustinLC Supporting Actor

[​IMG]

Those aren't that bad. What about all the different spoiled food! They smell just like "bodily function related smell."

3. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

Hoppes #9 solvent is pretty strong but it does tend to grow on you after a while. Balistol stinks all the time.

Mort

4. mark alan

mark alan Supporting Actor

methyl mercaptain, the odorant they add to natural gas.

We had a tankful leak out at a paper mill I worked at, and the power of the smell was amazing.

5. Blaine Skerry

Blaine Skerry Second Unit

I once forgot a small trout in my dad's old tacklebox. It was there for about three weeks when I remembered it. I had to soak everything in bleach just to get rid of the smell.:b :b

6. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott
    The smell of two dead pigs sealed in an '87 Corvette for two months.

...or a twenty year old (at least) bottle of fish oil that shattered in the garage.

7. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

A couple of years ago I offered to get rid of a chest freezer at the last girlfriends place. It was in a separate building and was NOT plugged in. It was full.
    If you should come upon a similar situation...RUN AWAY!
    For starters, rubber gasket or not, maggots are there in mass.
    Then you have to deal with the tremendous weight of whatever is in there. It's awkward trying to move out into the yard and you don't want it to come open, but it does. While you're retching you wonder if there is a fatal virus invading your lungs.
    It's a real bad odor.

8. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    Well, besides rotting stuff, there are those things that stink to high heaven when fresh, such as the Durian, "King of Fruits."

[​IMG]

9. Todd K

Todd K Second Unit

Melted plastic. I still get naseuous thinking about the few times growing up when a plastic spoon was left too near the burner. In fact, naseous with a serious headache. It traveled to every corner of the house, but fortunately is disspated within an hour or so.

10. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    There's a particular kind of ant poison that comes in a white powder that is painful to smell. It's difficult to describe, but I'm quite sure that it works by forcing the ants living on the mound you sprinkle it on to move to a different state just to get away from the smell.

11. James St

James St Supporting Actor

The fried power supply in the computer used by a co-worker. Daisy chaining a half dozen surge protectors in order to reach the wall socket tends to not be a good idea.

12. Jack Fanning

Jack Fanning Second Unit

Jack Fanning
    Rotten taters and cat shit![​IMG]

13. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Would you consider death a bodily function? Because there was a really old guy in the seat next to me for The Island that stank of rotting human flesh. That ranked up there pretty high.
    Otherwise, it would have to be Resolve. Growing up, my family primarily got it out to spray on the stains where cat puke/crap had just been cleaned up so now there's a mental association in my mind.

14. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

A favorite Chinese dish for many...."Stinky Tofu". Man, you can smell the good ones from a block away. Really.

15. Lynda-Marie

Lynda-Marie Supporting Actor

Asphalt - and just about every square inch of street around my place is being resurfaced!

Pulp mills - Tacoma, Washington, was infamous for the "Aroma of Tacoma." A joke book had the following offering: What did God say after he created Tacoma? "Okay, who farted?"

Renton, Washington, seems to be trying to claim the "aroma" award with their sewage treatment plant, whose methane burner is turned off at nights - and on weekends. I can't imagine what possessed someone to build a "Family Fun Center" right next to it!

Ammonia - it's an effective cleaner, but does it reek.

Fish fertilizer - my nose was about to find a lawyer and sue for divorce.

Sand dollars that have died. I was about 6 or 7 when I picked up some "fuzzy sand dollars" on a trip to the ocean and brought them home, little realizing that "fuzzy" meant "alive." That is a stink in a class ALL by itself.

Burning creosote - on another trip to the ocean, my dad found a great piece of driftwood that he decided to throw in the campfire. Unfortunately, it was a piece of an old telephone pole that had been treated with creosote. He managed to clear out half the campground, however, and the rest of the outing was quite peaceful. Too bad it was smelly as well.

16. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

I can top that with burning strawberries & chicken flambé, both microwave mishaps.

The first: I wasn't quite with it yet and put my instant oatmeal in the microwave sans water. I never ever want to smell burning dried strawberries again. I cannot describe how wretchedly foul it is. Even worse, when I was trying to dispose of the oatmeal, I forgot it was still hot and it burned right through the trash bag. It was just the perfect start to my day. [​IMG]

The second: my mother put frozen chicken breasts in to thaw... except she put it on for 20 minutes instead of 2. Luckily I got to it before it set the smoke alarm off. My parents never did get the smell completely out of their kitchen but thankfully they moved.

17. Chris James

Chris James Stunt Coordinator

The worst I have ever smelled was old cat pee, and the cat was sick. Ugh.

I tend to disdain the smell of burnt hair also.

18. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Question: "What is the smelliest time in history?"

"The middle ages. High noon on bring out your dead day."

"July 4th, 1776. 90 degrees. 50 guys standing around in hot velvet and Ben Franklin asks 'Whose cheese is this'."

Extra credit to those that can name the TV show these quotes came from.

19. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

Although Durian chips are quite good, taste kinda like a very light tater chip. I've also heard that eating the fresh fruit and then drinking beer is fatal...is that true?

Whatever the lubricant you put in differentials/rear ends is, it smells really rough.

20. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Blue-Green algal blooms are awful. I've got a very strong stomach for smells but B-G algae makes you want to [​IMG]