What's new

WORDS OF ADVICE : “If you want the best bass from your sub don’t be lazy” (1 Viewer)

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Not a price I am willing to pay :)

I guess I will stick to polishing, modding and taking her
to shows and weekend cruises...

Anyway, I think we have jacked this thread way too much!
Back to speaker talk :)

Kevin*Harley

Stunt Coordinator
Update:

Floors were finished on Saturday so yesterday I was able to move furniture and set up my HT. The wood does give my room a slightly brighter sound but I found that if I push the speakers closer to the wall I achieve a much better balance than I had before. With carpet, the speakers needed to be 10” further away from the wall (rear ported), which forced me to push the TV out for an even front stage. My system now sounds better than before and my wife’s extremely happy because the speakers aren’t in her opinion, sitting in the middle of the room.
I put small felt pads on the feet on the sub and tested a few tracks. Moving it reminded me how solid the HGS15 is. I don’t think spikes will be necessary but after I watch a few more movies I might feel differently.
My HT is on our second floor and before they put the wood down they put down a couple hundred screws to tighten and fix the squeaks (our place is around 30 years old). Not sure the additional screws or wood floors are a contributing factor (or just in my mind), but I swear my room has a much better sub response.

Ps. Bret, I agree with the open road course over autocross. If you are going to eat a set of rotors, pads and tires every time on the track, I want to be your passenger. That is going to be one hell of a fun day !!!!!! If so, you’d better get a sponsor. Realistically, a day on the track can be accomplished with less $. Changing pads and fluids is simple and inexpensive. If tires are a big concern you don’t have to go with Hoosiers. The Toyo RA1 are a great compromise of performance and wear and aren’t bad on your pocket box (depending on your driving style you might be able to get 10 days on them). Polishing wheels is fun but I’d rather polish my brake dust blacked wheels after 100 miles on the track. It will take you a little longer but that will give you time to reminisce your lines.

Kevinkall

Second Unit
I have carpet in my apartment, should I use spikes on my sub? I have the sony wm40. Also I have my fronts on speaker stands, should I use spikes for the bottom of the stands? Thanks in advance.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
KevinH,

Glad everything is working out for ya! And while I guess
chewing up a set of pads and rotors isn't the most expensive
thing it certainly isn't cheap.. My rotors are $100.00 each
and good pads (Hawk's) run around $90.00 per pair.. Tires
$300+ each.... I will stick to just toolin around I guess! :)

KevinK,

I would spike everything... It helps keep everything planted
and from my ears, spiking a sub does help the bass....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks