What's new

Wondering about speaker upgrades and choices. (1 Viewer)

erew99

Second Unit
Real Name
Guy
Hi
Last year you guys helped me figure out which AVR to get- so I thought this would be a good place to ask about my speaker upgrades.

Current Setup:Pioneer SC-1523-K
Fronts: Polk Monitor 50
Center: Polk CS1
Rears: Polk Monitor 30
Sub: Polk PW505

I'd really like to upgrade the front sound stage, and eventually the sub.

The Current setup has been okay, and pretty decent. I'd say 90% tv/movies 10% music.

I was looking for something with a bit more clarity and something cleaner overall.

Budget is around $1,000, but that will need to include the matching center.

If I stick with the Polk brand I could get the RTi12 for $800 (eBay - new - sold by Polk).

Any other options or suggestions? Real goal would be Paradigms, but the speakers are $800 each, which I can't spend right now.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Do you like the sound of the Polks? I've been told that Axiom sounds similar (I have Axiom but have not heard the Polks other than in a store). They can be described as 'clearer' (some folks describe this as bright - I disagree - I don't like "bright")..

With a sub you can get decent bookshelf speakers and a nice center for about $1000.

http://axiomaudio.com/m22-bookshelf-speakers
http://www.axiomaudio.com/vp100-center-channel-speaker

http://www.axiomaudio.com/factoryoutlet- Save $$$ and get outlet speakers.

You will need stands as well - the ones at Axiom are expensive. There are tons of other ones online that will still allow you to stay close to your budget.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I have that very set that Dave mentions and love them. They are definitely not "bright". They are accurate, so if you have a bad recording, it won't be masked by the speaker - you'll hear it; but a good recording is bliss.

On the other hand, if you already like the Polks, it might be best to just move up in their line. If you can find someplace that has a liberal return policy you should try them out in you room. (I'll add that Axiom has a great 30 day return policy.)

erew99

Second Unit
Real Name
Guy
That's the thing... I want clarity not volume.

I sit like 8' away from the speakers so volume isn't an issue.

I'm most likely going to go with the RTI10/CSI5/RTI6 5.1 setup. This would cost around $830.

The only speaker stores near me (around 1hour drive) that you can audition don't carry Polk.

I guess what I'm really asking is if anyone has personal experience upgrading from Monitors to RTIs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks