What's new

Wonder Woman (2017) (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'm glad they've not made the same mistake they did in that period (yet) with BvS in revealing too much story from the second half of the film.

I'm glad too, but I think this movie is also more spoiler-proof than BvS. Because it's a prequel, there's a bunch of stuff we know before it even starts. We know that Diana can't die. Since the movie takes place about 100 years before BvS, we know that none of the other characters she interacts with need to survive. And in BvS, she mentions that she was so disgusted with humanity that she walked away for a hundred years, so I imagine it will not end well for her -- the bad guys will be defeated (especially because in Man Of Steel and Batman V Superman, everyone acts as if those are the first times anyone has encountered supernatural beings, so not only will the Wonder Woman bad guys be defeated but they'll be lost to history too).

So on one hand, I think there's a lot less to "spoil" and that the bigger reveals might be more in how the story starts. But I am glad that they haven't shown too much of that either.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I think he's referring to the Hotness that is Wonder Woman :)

But yeah that only lasts about 15 minutes. No pun intended. Michael Bay makes gorgeous looking films and often has hotties. But the awful screenplay makes you not care.

here's hoping.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I have to say I'm a bit surprised (taken aback?) by a snippet of a scene I just saw on Youtube. WW is fighting a German soldier and he manages to get her down and take her sword. I've no doubt she ultimately wins, but it is surprising to see someone with superpowers put in such a position. It seems she's nowhere near as strong as the current incarnation in the comics. Or does he have superhuman strength?

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
ww.jpg

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Currently at 97% on rotten tomatoes with 62 reviews. Top critics are at 100%.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've got all kinds of new HT equipment showing up this week so I don't even know I'll have time to see this film this weekend.:(

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Saw Wonder Woman
The First Avenger, World War I Edition
tonight. It's an enjoyable way to spend a couple of hours. I avoided all the reviews going in, but I knew it was getting mostly favorable write-ups. On first impression, I'd probably give it ***/**** or a solid B. I'll be back later to discuss more as people get a chance to check it out.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
A winning comic book origin adaptation that is long, long overdue. The middle act, from the fish-out-of-water humor and Superman '78 homage, through to the No Man's Land and village action sequences, is the true standout section of the movie. In particular the buildng frustration with the politics and bureaucracy that comes to a head with Diana in the trenches - with her determination that she must finally *act* - is the heart and soul of the film. The film's finale, while certainly quite good, is a bit in the shadows by comparison.

The village fight also features sequences that match up favorably to the Smallville fight in Man of Steel, as well as the warehouse fight in Batman v Superman.

As far as classical tellings of superhero origins go, this has the spirit of such films as Superman '78 and Iron Man, and if it doesn't surpass those, it certainly hugs right up next to them; director Jenkins has delivered a similar styled crowd-pleaser, and for Wonder Woman, it's about time.

9/10

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
We saw this last night and the whole family thoroughly enjoyed it. Plenty of action, great well told story,

I too would give it a 9/10.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
My only little beef/letdown was this...

The actor who ended up being Aries was a let down, I just didn't truly buy into seeing this old mustached guy from harry Potter being this super God and seeing him in all that armor was more comical than powerful.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
A winning comic book origin adaptation that is long, long overdue. The middle act, from the fish-out-of-water humor and Superman '78 homage, through to the No Man's Land and village action sequences, is the true standout section of the movie. In particular the buildng frustration with the politics and bureaucracy that comes to a head with Diana in the trenches - with her determination that she must finally *act* - is the heart and soul of the film. The film's finale, while certainly quite good, is a bit in the shadows by comparison.

Brandon, you and I are in absolute agreement on this. This was by far the best part of the movie. I was fully invested during this stretch and really enjoyed it.

My only little beef/letdown was this...

The actor who ended up being Aries was a let down, I just didn't truly buy into seeing this old mustached guy from harry Potter being this super God and seeing him in all that armor was more comical than powerful.

Some of my movie going companions had similar criticisms last night, but looks he's the idea of evil coming from such an innocuous character. More often than not, that's how it is in the real world.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks