What's new

WKRP In Cincinnati: The Complete Series Review (See Posts #218 & 356 for Info) (2 Viewers)

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
AndrewCrossett said:
I assume the season sets are exactly the same as what's in the complete series set?

I was wondering if they might put the other version of "The Contest..." on the season set, which would have annoyed me.

As far as I know, the individual season sets are the same versions of the episodes that are in the complete series set. After spending close to a million (as the rumors are claiming), I don't see Shout spending any more money issuing alternate versions of episodes. The individual season sets seem to be for the sole purpose of generating more sales to cover the music costs. If the million dollars rumor is true, then I can certainly see Shout squeezing the very last cent out of it that they can before it goes out of print.

Hasslein

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
rmw650 said:
Is this set still on sale at Costco for $57.99? I'm not a member of that club but just wondering if it's still in that price range?
I haven't seen it since Christmas.

Hasslein

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
Target has 10% off with cartwheel app this week so you can get season one & two for $13.50 each. I guess another 5% off w Target red card. Better art & a deal if you don't care about the complete series box & so so bonus disc.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Is all the content from the bonus disc pulled from the earlier season 1 release from Fox? Or is there some new material exclusive to here?

Thanks

dietcola

Second Unit
Real Name
les nessman
there's a 2014 reunion, and i think the talk with gary sandy is new. not sure about the rest -- i resold the 2007 set without opening it. the money for the extras should have gone towards more music clearances; i don't see myself watching the bonus disc again.

Real Name
Johnny Fever
Did not see it in Costco - worth buying a membership just for the savings, plus you'll save on gasoline too (that is, if they still had the set).

Hasslein

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
There are sellers on EBAY selling it for $44 dollars shipped, but I've heard some are bootlegs... YMMV, but if you get a bootleg you can file a claim with ebay...

Hasslein

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
Anything to bump this thread :D

I just did two screen grabs because it was mentioned earlier in this thread... Goodbye Johnny opening Fox (1st photo ) vs Shout

Attachments

• wkrp snow 1 (fox).png
    wkrp snow 1 (fox).png
    350.5 KB · Views: 100
  • wkrp snow 1 (shout).png
    wkrp snow 1 (shout).png
    528.8 KB · Views: 88
  • wkrp snow 2 (fox).png
    wkrp snow 2 (fox).png
    466.5 KB · Views: 92
  • wkrp snow 2 shout.png
    wkrp snow 2 shout.png
    560.7 KB · Views: 91

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Why did they darken it here? Generally speaking, I loathe it when color is altered as it's usually done just to satisfy some primitive new (post production) trend.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
HenryDuBrow said:
Why did they darken it here? Generally speaking, I loathe it when color is altered as it's usually done just to satisfy some primitive new (post production) trend.

It may be as simple as the difference between the newer syndication print used for the Fox set vs. the original master tape used for the Shout set.

Real Name
Johnny Fever
Excuse me if I'm repeated a question already asked, but who is the artist doing the music during the closing credits of the Christmas episode when they're having the Christmas office party (instead of the usual closing music)? Is this the only episode with music that was different than the standard closing song?

Hasslein

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
johnnyelectron said:
Excuse me if I'm repeated a question already asked, but who is the artist doing the music during the closing credits of the Christmas episode when they're having the Christmas office party (instead of the usual closing music)? Is this the only episode with music that was different than the standard closing song?
According to song list posted in this thread it is Living Voices:Sleigh Ride. Baseball ended with banjo music over end credits that has yet to be identified...

Doris2k

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Doris
Has anyone here finished the job that Shout! Factory started and assembled episodes with the rest of the original music restored? There was much talk of this in the past.

Hasslein

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
I haven't edited anything, just made sure I had all the clips I needed to begin. I still need the Plastic Ono clip (which I'm not sweating) and better clips of Bah Humbug, (right now using the VHS release as source, won't use antenna tv's bugged version) The clips I couldn't download from Jaime's site that I couldn't find elsewhere, I ran the audio out to a video recorder & recorded that way.... although there is quite a bit of noise in the tracks...

Doris2k

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Doris
Yes, same here. I have assembled some of what I need but haven't edited. It's comforting just to know it's all (mostly) available now.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
There was a response from Shout Factory regarding the episode. I don't remember the exact wording but essentially the gist was that the people who helped Shout put the set together were very knowledgeable on the series and the version on the set is the version that originally aired. The original version was later retooled into the more familiar version and aired during the summer repeats. It has aired that way ever since. There was a link to the Shout Factory response somewhere in this thread.

Found it. Page 36 post #715. There isn't a link but the direct response is quoted.

Heavyearlyanditis

Auditioning
Real Name
sandra
Questions about episode # 73 "Straight from the Heart"

I distinctly remember a scene where a concerned Les, at the theater, makes a telephone call to Andy at the poker game to get help for Herb. Apparently, Bailey is quite the card sharp and has cleaned out all the guys, which is why a depressed Andy was available to answer the phone. This scene was cut out of all the reruns and not put back into the box set. I kind of feel this should have been put back in, because how did the gang know where Herb and Les were, and that their help was needed? It also adds more to the final moments when they are all in jail and Andy is rooting for Bailey to get the high card.

Was there prominent music playing at the poker game, and that's why they cut it out? Or was this just another edit to make time for ads? If it was music, does anybody remember what song? I was in high school at the time I saw the original and the first rerun, and then I never saw it again.

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Brian Himes said:
There was a response from Shout Factory regarding the episode. I don't remember the exact wording but essentially the gist was that the people who helped Shout put the set together were very knowledgeable on the series and the version on the set is the version that originally aired. The original version was later retooled into the more familiar version and aired during the summer repeats. It has aired that way ever since. There was a link to the Shout Factory response somewhere in this thread.

Found it. Page 36 post #715. There isn't a link but the direct response is quoted.
Thanks, Brian! I'm glad that my memory of it first airing that way proved to be correct. That post was made the day after my Dad passed away last December, so I never saw it at the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks