What's new

Without a Trace Season One ? (1 Viewer)

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor
It's probably my favourite show right now but it's also one of the few shows that I've never even heard the slightest rumour of a DVD release about.

I've read that CSI Miami ( :thumbsdown: ) will be coming out in the first quarter of 2004 - that show started at the same time as Without a Trace.

I know that both CSIs are produced by Paramount and that Without a Trace is produced by Warner - but that should be a good thing since IMHO Warner is a lot better with TV stuff than Paramount.

So has anybody heard anything?

Gord? David?

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Nothing has been announced yet, sorry. I've enjoyed Eric Close in the shows he's been in ("Dark Skies," "Now and Again") and, surprisingly, I've never caught an episode of this. I'd love to take a look at it on DVD.

Gord

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
Well, just in case Warner reads this thread.

Without Out a Trace would be a must buy for me if it was released.

I loved this show from the first episode, and have been very pleased at its success.

Anthony L's Golden Globe win should help this along.

Chris

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Heh. Humorously enough, Megan Ward was a guest star on Without A Trace the other night. I think she only had one scene with Close, though (supposedly, the two of them just did not like each other when they were shooting Dark Skies, which is what led to Jeri Ryan becoming such a big part of the show).

Corey_Smith

Stunt Coordinator
I was hoping that this would be asked about during the HTF chat with Warner, but as I've read over the transcript (I work evenings) I didn't see anything. :frowning: I really hope we get an announcement soon, especially seeing how fast other TV show sets have been released (Alias, 24). March 30 CSI season 3 will be out and it will be caught up.

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor
I just want to bump this thread.

The show is a big hit.

It's from Warner.

So why is there no news on it's DVD release?

Is it a syndication issue? That hasn't stopped Warner from releasing Smallville.

Is it a music issue? It does use a lot of songs - but not nearly as many as Smallville.

Do they think it won't sell well? If CSI sells enough boxsets - then Without a Trace will do so too.

So why isn't there even a rumour about Without a Trace while at the same time so many less succesful and/or really crappy shows get released?

:angry:

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Well, don't forget that Smallville doesn't have a third party to mess around with - it's produced by WB for WB's network and the third-run rights have probably been sold to TNT, which is also in the Time Warner family.

Without A Trace, on the other hand, airs on CBS, and is in fact co-produced with CBS Productions, as well as Jerry Bruckheimer Television - and I believe the third-run rights may have been sold to USA. It's not a show where just one company has an interest in the distribution - Viacom and Bruckheimer are going to get a cut, and both Viacom/CBS and Universal/NBC may have interest in Warner not releasing it immediately (with very little in the way of serial elements, it reruns much better than many other shows). Add that the police procedural is not exactly a genre that has proven itself on DVD as thoroughly as sci-fi/superhero stuff has, and it ceases to become an apples-to-apples comparison.

Deb Walsh

Stunt Coordinator
Season 1 of Without a Trace is up for pre-order in Region 2 on a couple of sites, including play.com. Release date is August 30, 2004. Amazon UK doesn't have it up yet, nor does Blackstar. If it follows the same pattern as CSI, it may be as much as a year before it comes out here - then again, CSI debuted in the UK at the beginning of the TV on DVD trend, so previous patterns may not be reliable, especially since we'll have the third series of CSI before the UK. Here's hoping!

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=1631

One small correction - Season one had 24 episodes so the set will have 22 episodes plus the 2-part season finale in an extended version.

Featurettes, deleted scenes, three audio commentaries with cast and crew and an extended version of (IMHO) the best two-part episode any show has done in recent years - they really put a lot of work into this set.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
According to EPGuides.com it was 23 episodes including the 2 part finale. I'm guessing that Warner Bros has this as a single episode which is why they listed 22 episodes.

Gord

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Without a Trace will be released in its "original" 4:3 Aspect Ratio...

;)

I'm buying if Warner does this right in its true "original" AR, same with Everwood. Hope you're listening to your potential customers Warner.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member

No Sale!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What the hell is wrong with Warner Bros??? Unbelievable.

Brooke

Stunt Coordinator
I really, really wanted this show but I'm not buying it in 4x3. I can't believe they are even thinking of putting this show out in 4x3. I'd rather burn my own DVDs from the 16x9 broadcast. I love all the extra features but if I were forced to choose, I'd rather have no extra features and have it in the correct aspect.

I'm sick of this WB!! I'm making a stand on this one. No Sale!!

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor
Gord - you're right, season two had 24 episodes - I just assumed season one had the same number without looking it up.

Regarding the AR - this must be some kind of mistake. Warner always uses widescreen if possible.

Why would they crop Kung Fu to widescreen and then crop Without a Trace to fullscreen?

But if it's true then I won't buy it either. :frowning:

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
Hmm, when I first saw the show, it was 4x3, so I guess I will buy this and enjoy it the way I originally saw it. Though it was shown in 16x9 on the HD feeds, what was the directors intent and what did he frame for?

Chris

MattGSmith

Stunt Coordinator
Love this show and I'll be picking it up regardless of aspect ratio. Love the artwork too. I am surprised w/the double sided discs. (DVD-18) I'm knew to some of these terms, does that mean I'll still have to get up off the coach and turn the discs over???
?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks