What's new

Wireless ethernet question (1 Viewer)

Kevin_Spradley

Stunt Coordinator
First of all let me say, I am new to the wireless realm of networking. Here is my situation. I have manufactured 6 optical devices. These devices contain 4 photodiodes apiece and the voltage from the photodiodes is then feed into a COTS board (BL2000 WIldcat from Z-world.com). This board has A/D's, microcontroller, and ethernet port. I am taking the voltages from the detectors, feeding them into the A/D and then sending the values out the ethernet port as a string. I can assign IP addresses to the individual boards. Right now I have my computer connected to a single board through a hub. This works fine. I can display my readings on the web site corresponding to the IP address of the board.

My question: I want to make everything wireless. What do I need? My assumptions on what I need, a wireless transceiver for the computer and a wireless transceiver for each board.

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
Since you have several devices, I would hook them all up to a hub and hook the hub to a wireless ethernet bridge, if you wanted to hook them all up at once. If you just want to hook up one at a time you'll still need a bridge, but you can forgo the hub. If you're just networking between the things and the computer you can get by with a wireless card in your computer, but if you want to be able to access everything from the regular network (assuming you have one) you ought to get an access point and hook it up to your router.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks