What's new

roku woes (1 Viewer)

Bryce_H

Stunt Coordinator
Hello everyone. Hoping someone here can help. I have several issues with my current Roku's that I am struggling with. Set up is as follows:

Path 1 is:

AT&T Fiber at 1Gbps
AT&T gateway
Asus RT-AC3200 Tri-band Wireless Gigabit Router
Roku Ultra connected via Cat6 with manually assigned IP
Denon AVR-X4300H via HDMI
Sony VPL-HW40ES projector via HDMI

Path 2:

AT&T Fiber at 1Gbps
AT&T gateway
Asus RT-AC3200 Tri-band Wireless Gigabit Router
Roku 2 (upgraded version) connected via Cat6 with manually assigned IP
Onkyo RC-260 via HDMI
Samsung 65" via HDMI

NOTE: I do not have dual routers set up (i.e. the AT&T Gateway and the Asus Router). The AT&T unit is just a gateway through the DMZ+ settings.

I have several issues that are driving me insane:
1) Amazon Prime - generally 15-20 minutes into a show or movie (both rented and "free" included with Prime) the show will stop and I get a popup box that says:

"Problem Occured
We are unable to play your video at this time. Please try again in a few minutes or contact Amazon Customer Service at: amazon.com/videohelp.

OK"

2) On the Roku Starz and HBOGO channels the Roku will actually freeze and restart.

3) on Netflix the picture is sometimes "jittery" - this was most noticeable during the show Sherlock

Things I have tried:
1) different Ethernet patch cables
2) different Ethernet ports in the wall
3) different HDMI cables
4) different Rokus (it is how I ended up with the Roku Ultra)
5) wired and wireless connection
6) system updates
7) extensive time with Amazon help desk (I have a special ticket in now- lucky me)
8) uninstalled/reinstalled the apps
9) deregistered/reregistered the Rokus
10) QoS on and off

given it happens across devices I am inclined to think it is something with router...

Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Definitely check into the router. I’ve never seen a piece of electronic equipment so prone to failure as routers and modems.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Chris Strnad

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
Definitely check into the router. I’ve never seen a piece of electronic equipment so prone to failure as routers and modems.
It is cost-savings at its worst--combining the functions of 3 separate devices into 1 will frequently yield one of 3 outcomes: 1) a steaming pile of dung. 2) Device does 1 function really well, other 2 are useless. 3) all 3 functions are marginally tolerable.

Make sure the router firmware is current: https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RTAC3200/HelpDesk_BIOS/

In the long term, I'd suggest going with single-function devices as budget and technical aptitude permit.

Bryce_H

Stunt Coordinator
I got some info from a different forum that is a problem with the DMZ and the lease renewal cycle. I am removing the Asus router and just using the Pace 5268AC gateway...I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Thanks.

Chris Strnad

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
...I completely missed the bit about being in the DMZ. Any network troubleshooting that suggests DMZ as a solution is moderately infuriating since it doesn't address the actual problem (and introduces potential for others.)

Thanks to a recent cash-grab by TW/Spectrum, there are now 2 Roku Expresses and 1 Stick to go with the existing Roku3 at home. At no point have I needed to make exceptions for any of them, even with 3 running the Spectrum app simultaneously... (edit--and they're all on wifi.)

Bryce_H

Stunt Coordinator
Apparently the DMZ+/lease issues is unique to the Pace 5268AC gateway and the firmware. Known issue according to many and AT&T is not inclined to fix it...

Chris Strnad

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
As a past customer of AT&T DSL, this is not at all surprising. From my perspective, they are notorious for pawning off bargain-basement no-name *garbage* to install at the residential demarc just to check a box. Judging from the images search results, that Pace device is right in line with the "Siemens" and 2-Wire BS I've been party to in the past.

The more I stare at the image results for the Pace, the more I scratch my head. What sort of connection is Ma Bell giving you to connect to the WAN-side of the Pace, RJ11 (3-pair) or RJ45 (4-pair)? Also, it this *strictly* broadband, or is it a bundle that includes TV and/or Phone?

Users who are viewing this thread