What's new

Room Wiring Questions (1 Viewer)

fred42

Auditioning
Real Name
Fred
Wow, I am new here, just found this site today. What a great forum!

I am currently remodeling a room in my house to be a bedroom/TV room. It is not going to be a serious home theater, just a bedroom with the best TV setup in my house. TV viewers will be sitting up in bed. Total budget is around $2000. I have not bought anything yet, but thinking a $1000 55" or 60" LED TV, 5.1 sound, BluRay player, etc. The TV signal is from a TWC DVR box. I have no experience with NetFlix, but may want to try that in the future. I also have found that even given all the channels, the TV content is mostly unappealing and I find the best content online. So for the first time in my house I would like to try something I know little about, that is merging the TV with online content. So perhaps that means I want a "Smart TV"?

Given that objective, my questions are about this one opportunity I have to wire this room as I now have access inside the ceiling and walls, but then they will soon be covered forever. It is a relatively small room and the TV must be thin and flush mounted to the wall. All the supporting equipment stack cannot be near the TV, but must be in an area 8' away with a doorway in between them. I plan to use recessed AC and accessory wire plates on both ends joined by 2" PVC conduit in the walls and ceiling. This allows me to not think about the various cables I may need to put in the wall at this time and to also swap out a bad cable in the future. However, I still need to make some decisions now concerning other wires:

1. The equipment stack area is going to get a coax cable coming from the cable company outside pedestal to the cable DVR box.

2. I understand this Smart TV thing requires an Ethernet connectivity. I have several questions here:

a. Given the right equipment, can this be done with the home wireless router or do I need actual Ethernet cables? I don't have wireless now, but my current wired router is obsolete and all the new ones seem to be wireless. If cables are more reliable, have more capacity, and allow me to purchase cheaper non-wireless components, I do not have a problem running the cables.

b. If I use cables, does one need to go to the equipment stack area, the TV or both?

c. Do I need wireless to perhaps also connect some input device I would have in bed to navigate the online content for the TV?

3. Although some 5.1 sound systems have various wireless options, I was planning on running 14 gauge copper CL2 speaker wire in the wall/ceiling to the remote speaker locations from the equipment stack area.

4. I was planning on powering the wall TV recessed AC receptacle from an in-wall 14 gauge extension cord with the male end coming out at the equipment stack area to take advantage of the surge protector device that would be there.

thanks very much for your ideas,
fred42

fred42

Auditioning
Real Name
Fred
Thanks Sam,

It sounds like any TV smartness would be better achieved with external, more modular devices like Roku. So I would not need an ethernet cable to the TV location, just one to the equipment stack area.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Correct.A $1000 plasma blows every $1000 LCD away.Matter of fact, Sears.com has some great prices(which you can deliver, or store pick up).In store, the Zenith 60" plasma(which is the de-contented 4500 series LG, If memory serves) routinely sells for $800. Been as low as $600.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks