What's new

Windows XP question (1 Viewer)

Anthony Moore

Supporting Actor
If i have the full version of Windows XP on CD and Win ME on my computer, do i have to format my HD or lose my info in any way in order to install?

I got this version from microsoft for free so i cant exchange it anywhere. I guess if i had to i could format, but i really dont want to.

So I guess the question is: can i use the full version of WinXP as an upgrade?

thanks

anthony

Chris Derby

Second Unit
You should be able to. I wouldn't though. Upgrades always leave a bad taste in my mouth. Do yourself a favor an re-install all your apps. In the end, you will love yourself for going through the extra effort. Or at least you wont be kicking yourself for not doing it. ;)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Actually, I had the full version of Windows 2000 and when I put it into my Windows ME machine by mistake it said: "This version of Windows is not equipped to upgrade a previous version of Windows..."

So for Win2000, you needed the upgrade version if you wanted to upgrade. Of course, this was the Corporate Edition so the retail versions might be different (I work from home a lot so my work includes me in the site license with MS).

Thom B

Stunt Coordinator
You can upgrade if it's xp pro or home. As noted above though, it's preferable for perfomance/stability to do a clean install. Also, be sure to hit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and the hompage for your HW manufacturer for any driver updates.
T

KyleS

Screenwriter
Thom gave you great advice.

The most stable would be to do a clean install. Xp will however upgrade without much of a problem and will keep all of your files where you had them on your computer. It also should keep your settings the same so if you have icons on your desktop they will transfer over fine. If you have an extra HD you may want to transfer your info over to that HD, wipe your main HD, then do a clean XP Install. When you are finished you can transfer your information over to XP. XP has a specific program included in the OS which will walk you right through the transfer. Best of luck.

KyleS

JeffDemum

Stunt Coordinator
I put XP over the of ME and I had alot of problems getting the updates to install . So I just reformatted and did a clean install and now I have no problems with the updates . So you might want to follow everyones advice and do a clean install .

And good luck with getting your CD Burner to work if you have one . I have tried Easy CD Platinum and the updates and I can't get it to work ( i'm really just venting about mine ) . Only thing I can get to work with burning is using Windows Media Player . Easy CD Platinum makes my computer crash for some reason its becoming a pain in the butt !

Anyone have any ideas on other software I can use with XP so I can back some of my stuff up ? And I really like the system restore point in XP it's saved me several times allready .

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
well I installed XP over both win2000 and 98SE and they have both been rock solid. That said if you can I'd reformat but at least in my experiece with XP its been smooth sailing. i reinstalled office and NAV2002 again on both PC's though but it went very well. I've had problems with upgrading over old OS's before though so I guess what I'm saying is that it worked for me this time but I can't say if it will for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks