What's new

Will We Ever See 1776 on Blu-ray? (See Post #286 for the latest info from Sony) (1 Viewer)

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Good memory, Josh.The Warner cut begins with Adams in the belltower and McNair coming to get him down to Congress. This version cut the main title credits, and had instead two credits superimposed over Adam's walking down the upper stairs "Columbia Pictures Presents" and "1776". The other credits were moved to the end (with cheery music just after the solemn ending).Warner had indeed sold his studio to Kinney. He decided to get back in the game and personally bought the rights to do the film, along with Columbia. If you notice the copyright is split between Columbia Pictures Industries and Jack L. Warner Productions, as the film was co-produced and owned between the two.I also first saw the film in Middle School history class and had a teacher that fast forwarded the songs. And changed my life.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Matt Hough said:
Argh! Instead of using it as a teaching moment about the "triangle trade" being sung about in the song.
I don't remember exactly what he said, but it was something to the effect of, "This song is really boring, and we've already learned about this anyway... anyone unclear on triangle trade? No? OK, we'll skip the song." So I suppose, on the bright side, we learned the content...
Moe Dickstein said:
The Warner cut begins with Adams in the belltower and McNair coming to get him down to Congress. This version cut the main title credits, and had instead two credits superimposed over Adam's walking down the upper stairs "Columbia Pictures Presents" and "1776". The other credits were moved to the end (with cheery music just after the solemn ending).
Yes! That's exactly what I remember! So that's the only version of the film that begins that way? I consider myself warned and now prepared for the DVD/iTunes version.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
That's the only version that begins with the two title cards. All other cuts restore the main titles over a Mentor Huebner drawing.If you have iTunes, and a way to get it to your HDTV, that's the best way to experience the film right now in terms of getting above standard def. Let us know what you think of all the new stuff! Both of the longer cuts are a vastly better film than the one you've seen, in my opinion.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It may be a little while before I get to it, but I will be sure to report back when I do. I've got an AppleTV plugged into my HDTV, so that will probably be what I do.

Appreciate the quick movie history lesson :)

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Actually, iTunes and Ultraviolet are both HD and the longer cut. You can use Vudu and $5 to convert the DVD to HD.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Sold to Seven Arts, later sold to Kinney -- a perfect fit with parking garages and, as I recall, mortuary assets.

RAH

Warner had indeed sold his studio to Kinney. He decided to get back in the game and personally bought the rights to do the film, along with Columbia. If you notice the copyright is split between Columbia Pictures Industries and Jack L. Warner Productions, as the film was co-produced and owned between the two.

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
Moe Dickstein said:
John,It seems your facts are not quite in order.
I think the laserdisc edition is a masterpiece. That's a fact. Even after reading your long post (all of which I already knew), I have no idea which "facts" you are referring to that are not in order. Care to be specific?

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
John, I was mainly referring to the implication that Mr. Hunt stands in the way of a longer version coming to Blu-Ray and that you hoped that the film was released without the director's participation. Mr. Hunt does not stand in the way of a longer version being released alongside the proper cut.

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
Well, he may not, technically stand in the way of it (in that he is forbidding its release) but had he not participated in the DVD release, I think we most likely would have had the lasderdisc version, released. That he was the director of both the show (which I loved) and the film (which I only love on laser), is meaningless to what I like. The worst version of WEST SIDE STORY I ever heard, was put together and conducted by Leonard Bernstein. I appreciate your clarification.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I miss only two cuts from the laser to the DVD. And the refrain of THE LEE'S OF OLD VIRGINIA I could care less. The refrain seems so out of place in the scope of the film. It does nothing to move along the story except to understand that Franklin loves Bosoms. :) I still have the laser but watch the DVD.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I love the refrain, but it doesn't quite work in the movie.

It's written into the score as a deliberately funny re-entrance by Lee after the applause for the song, and it totally works on stage. Always gets a great laugh and of course another good round of applause afterward.

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark
I can do without the LEES reprise as well, but the missing verse from PIDDLE needs to be reinstated. The song feels incomplete without it, and the lyrics are terrific.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Charles Smith said:
I love the refrain, but it doesn't quite work in the movie. It's written into the score as a deliberately funny re-entrance by Lee after the applause for the song, and it totally works on stage. Always gets a great laugh and of course another good round of applause afterward.
You are right. I just don't think it works in the film.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Mark B said:
I can do without the LEES reprise as well, but the missing verse from PIDDLE needs to be reinstated. The song feels incomplete without it, and the lyrics are terrific.
I certainly agree. This was one of the two bits I miss that needed to be included in the DVD.

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark
ahollis said:
I certainly agree. This was one of the two bits I miss that needed to be included in the DVD.
No matter what the word from Sony and Hunt may have been, I still believe that it was left off the dvd cut because they didn't have the foley effects and were too cheap to take the time and effort to create them.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Mark B said:
No matter what the word from Sony and Hunt may have been, I still believe that it was left off the dvd cut because they didn't have the foley effects and were too cheap to take the time and effort to create them.
I'm not gonna there for I am in Mr. Hunt's court. I'm happy with the DVD and will wait to see, if ever, what he and Sony come up with for Blu. After all it is their film and they have last word.

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
Moe Dickstein said:
I understand that sentiment, but it just seems interesting to me that people would go to the lengths of boycotting an official release because it lacks what is essentially a bonus feature. But to each their own.
I wouldn't buy it, because I wouldn't watch it. Why is that so difficult to understand? I already have the version I like. Why would I buy one I don't like? Would I love to have the version I like in pristine condition? Absolutely! That's the whole point of my original post.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I know the LEES scene comes off as being sort of abrupt,
but he's one of my favorite characters and I just love that
entire musical sequence.

LEES reprise, in my opinion, needs to stay in.

I love the overture from the laserdisc, but sadly, I understand
the reasons why that will never be reinstated.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks