What's new

Will this DVD-rom work for htpc? (1 Viewer)

Tim Knapp

Agent
I was sent a pioneer dvd-120 as part of a barbones system, but it turned out to be a bad drive. Will this drive meet the requirements for htpc, or should I go for a different poineer?
The link below has the specs on it. I'm not entirely sure what disc formats must be supported. If someone could let me know asap so i can send this back for a replacement.

http://www.pioneeraus.com.au/multime...20/dvd-120.htm

Thanks,
Tim knapp

Tim Knapp

Agent
Are there some DVD videos that won't play on DVD-roms? THe reason i ask is what they say at the link i posted above.

"Unless the Region number on both the DVD-VIDEO disc and DVD-ROM drive and its playback components match, playback is not possible."

Todd K

Second Unit
They are talking about Region encoding for different parts of the world. Odds are you won't ever have to worry about such incompatibilities, unless you start ordering obscure DVDs from foreign countries, or mainstream DVDs that might have slightly different bonus features in different regions/countries.

As to your original question, if the drive works properly it will do what you want it to, i.e. play DVDs on your computer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks