Will this DVD-rom work for htpc?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tim Knapp, Mar 26, 2003.

1. Tim Knapp

Tim Knapp Agent

I was sent a pioneer dvd-120 as part of a barbones system, but it turned out to be a bad drive. Will this drive meet the requirements for htpc, or should I go for a different poineer?
    The link below has the specs on it. I'm not entirely sure what disc formats must be supported. If someone could let me know asap so i can send this back for a replacement.

http://www.pioneeraus.com.au/multime...20/dvd-120.htm

Thanks,
    Tim knapp

2. Tim Knapp

Tim Knapp Agent

Are there some DVD videos that won't play on DVD-roms? THe reason i ask is what they say at the link i posted above.

"Unless the Region number on both the DVD-VIDEO disc and DVD-ROM drive and its playback components match, playback is not possible."

3. Todd K

Todd K Second Unit

They are talking about Region encoding for different parts of the world. Odds are you won't ever have to worry about such incompatibilities, unless you start ordering obscure DVDs from foreign countries, or mainstream DVDs that might have slightly different bonus features in different regions/countries.

As to your original question, if the drive works properly it will do what you want it to, i.e. play DVDs on your computer.