What's new

Building a HTPC, but a few concerns.... (1 Viewer)

Hello all. I am currently in the process of upgrading my gaming rig and using the old parts for a decent HTPC. The specs of it are/will be:

ASUS A8N-SLI
Athlon XP 3500+
2GB Corsair XMS Memory
1x 36GB Raptor HD (for OS)
3x 150GB Raptor X HD (for shows, music, videos, games, etc....)
BFG Tech GeForce 7800GTXOC w/ 256MB DDR
Wireless Logitech Mouse/Keyboard (Bluetooth/Laser)
Sony 16x DVD-ROM
Sony 8X DVD-RW
Windows XP MCE with remote

This rig will not be playing any DVD's. Just TV shows/music/music videos from the net and such.

I have a few questions about setting up a HTPC. Now, I work in the Home Theater field, but I've never had to set up a HTPC for any customers. My first concern is, audio. I want something with SPDIF (COAX) outputs. My motherboard has it onboard so I guess that would serve well enough.

My second concern is the video. I currently have my 17" Dell MCE laptop hooked up to my TV using DCI-HDMI and I don't like the way it looks. The TV is a SONY KDF-E55A20. The max resolution of the set is 1368x768. How can I make the video/text look the best through the HDMI connection? I noticed on the laptop that games like wow and surfing the net... the text appears all blocky and unable to be read clearly.

If anyone wants to help me with my issues with the video, you can IM me on AIM: sonyxplodjetta or just email me: [email protected]. I want to get this issue fixed prior to building the HTPC.

Please let me know if any of y'all can help me with it. I would love to get this up and going within the next month or so. Thanks in advance.

Rommel_L

Second Unit
for the audio question: Onboard audio may support SPDIF but the quality isn't guaranteed to be good. A separate audio card with digital audio out will be in oreder here, as other members will chime in as they read this post.

for the video question: A few questios first:
- What are the resolutions supported by your TV?
- What is the model of the laptop's video card and it's specs?
- Have you tried using the Cleartype option on your laptop?

What do you mean the resolutions supported by my TV? If you mean HD signals then it's 480p, 720p, 1080i.

The video in the laptop is a GeForce 7900GS with 256MB DDR.

No I haven't tried using the Cleartype option, but I thought that was only for windows desktop and not for apps.....

Edit: Also I guess I should've noted that I have to use the Underscan feature on my videocard in order to fit the screen correctly without having to move the mouse to see the rest of the desktop....

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser
PERFECT! I recommend everyone to stay with Windows XP for a little while and upgrading to VISTA after December. There's a lot of bugs still in VISTA.

Over-all a good system. I'm not too familiar with sound cards, since my motherboard has on-board 7.1 audio with works good enough for me. I don't really use the 7.1 that much anyways.

orestes

Second Unit
Real Name
Orestes
Be careful with the asus mb and its "Promise" (from Promise Technology) embedded RAID controller. I have an asus MB (p4c800-e deluxe), but so far I cannot upgrade properly to Vista since there is no driver for this "Promise" raid controller. Since I didn't build my PC (someone did for me under my advice), I went and disabled "Promise" in the BIOS setup menu for the time being so that I may eventually upgrade to Vista. Updgrading to Vista is a pain in the butt even when I have great (almost new hardware) on my desktop.

Even upgrading my toshiba laptop (which was bought back in Sept. 2006) with the latest hardware--model p105-s6084) is going to be a headache.

I am planning to move my current desktop pc to be a file server, and then buy another desktop with Vista pre-installed. So be aware that upgrading to Visita is not a walk in the park. By the way, if you buy the Vista upgrade, MS is not offering "clean" installs, but you can find a workaround to do a clean install on the Net.

Good luck!
orestes

Well I'm not going to upgrade to Vista. I've used it and hate it already. Also, the video card and mobo/processor are the ones from my gaming rig that i am upgrading. The rig is getting the new shit while the HTPC get's the hand me downs. The stuff that it is getting though, isn't all that bad. I'm just looking to watch videos that I've downloaded and such so the whole dual core thing isn't needed. Plus, the HTPC is only going to be on when needed, not 24/7. I have my DVD, X360, PS2 to keep my busy :)

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
That seems like something that shouldn't matter, but because things in the real world can be complicated, it just might. After all, since the sound is all-digital, and especially with an optical connection, as long as the light pulse generator is not affected by the electronics in the computer, how could that go wrong?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks