Looking for budget speakers for HTPC

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Reesh, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Reesh

Reesh Auditioning

Hey guys great forum!
    Here's the situation, I'm currently in the process of building a HTPC (Home Theatre PC) over the next few months and also looking to add some quality 5.1 speakers. I currently have a JVC 9010VBK receiver which I will be using.

I was looking at a combination of Paradigm Titans/Atoms for the mains, Atoms/JBL E10s? for the rear, and CC-170 for the center. I was planning on combining these with the ever popular Dayton 10" sub. Problem is that this makes my budget pretty tight and I would probably have to wait on adding the rears and centers for a couple of months.

While browsing the forums I became intrigued by the Hsu Research Ventriloquist VT-12. This set seems a lot cheaper than the Paradigms I'm considering and has also gotten rave reviews. While price is a concern for me I don't want to sacrifice quality. Has anyone heard the HSUs and Paradigms and can compare them? My other consideration is that I would probably lean towards a HSU subwoofer over the Dayton if I got the VT-12 set. Is the HSU subwoofer (STF-1 or perhaps spring for the STF-2 with the money saved) a big upgrade over the Dayton?

My budget is around 300-500 but is fairly flexible (as all 5.1 speaker budgets end up being [​IMG]

I'm looking for this speaker system to last me ~4-5 years in my small NY Studio (I forgot to mention that speaker size is important to me; another bonus with the VT-12) and then move it to a bedroom replacing it with a more beefy system at that time.

Thanks for all the input in advance!

2. Reesh

Reesh Auditioning

Come on guys!
    I know there have probably been hundreds of posts about "budget speakers" and I've read a lot of them already. However I'm looking for input on comparing the VT-12 and the Titans/Atoms.

I'm also looking for recommendations on 2.1/5.1 compact speaker package for ~300-$500 without sacrificing audio quality.

3. Mike^S

Mike^S Stunt Coordinator

I think you'll get better sound out of the Titans/Atoms than the VT-12. The main difference is in the bass extension. But then they are quite a bit larger in size.

They Dayton sub and the STF-1 are about comparable, but the STF-2 would be better.

4. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

Excuse my ignorance but does a HTPC mean you use your computer monitor for the video display?

If so sitting nearfield to your speakers you likely don't need a center channel.

I've owned Atoms and had a chance to play with the VT-12. For movies I'd go with the VT-12 and Hsu sub w/o a question. If your playing a lot of music I'd lean to the Atoms but did not listen to much music on the VT-12 when I had a chance to. The shifting the mid-bass to the center channel really does work on the VT-12 to my surprise.

For a 2.1 suggestion, Ascend Acoustics 170s with the Dayton sub.

5. Reesh

Reesh Auditioning

Hey thanks for the replies guys!

I plan on purchasing a 30" LCD tv to serve as my monitor/TV something along the lines of a Syntax Olevia. So I will not be sitting directly in front of my monitor. I do plan to do a fair amount of music listening, probably 60% Cable HDTV viewing, 25% music, 15% movies. The reason the VT-12s caught my attention was that they were so cheap for the whole set! Seems like the Atoms are the way to go. I'm actually thinking of getting Atoms/Titans as my mains and a Dayton sub for a 2.1 setup for now (with the anticipation of expanding to 5.1 with more paradigms down over the next few months), but I'm concerned about the size of the Titans. It seems that the Titans' main advantage over the Atoms is the low end, but my question is if I'm getting a subwoofer anyway, will I lose quality by going with the Atoms over the Titans?

Don't know much about the Acoustic 170s, I'll have to look into them.

6. Thomas Dekany

I have 2 sets of VT12s so naturally, I will suggest that you try them. The sound will blow your mind. Exceptional sound from such set up.A properly placed stf1 will be more then enough in a small room - after all, it is a Dr Hsu design. m2c