What's new

Will the madness ever end? (1 Viewer)

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Well, I want one of these 4GB iPod nanos. I wish they had more storage for the price, but 1,000 songs is quite a bit, to be honest. I can use it for working out, listening to podcasts on the way to work, etc. I think these will sell like hotcakes.

I'd really prefer have an 8GB one, but I'll bet there will be one in 6 months or less.

CharlesD

Screenwriter
I've been thinking about getting an mp3 player for a while. Almost bought an iPod mini not long ago but never went through with it. When I saw the nano yesterday I couldn't resist. One iPod nano, 4 gig, black should be on its way to me tomorrow...

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
I actually like this. Hard drives in portable devices has never seemed like a good idea to me, so I've never been even remotely drawn to iPods until the Nano. 4-GB is more than enough for me.

Too bad I just bought a Creative 1-GB unit. I really like it, but, man, this new iPod Nano is soooo nice.

It's about time portable flash devices broke the 1-GB barrier.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
If you have a concert CD and play it in a CD player, all the tracks are played as one big long one, no pauses in between. Most mp3 players create a pause between songs.

Just a small gripe imo. I have an entire concert on my ipod and don't mind the small gaps at all. That said, I also have comedy stand-up routines which are separated into tracks. It would be nice for seamless playback, but I'm not too picky on this issue.

Scott Dautel

Second Unit

The minute I saw the iPod nano, what occurred to me immediately was ... so much for the iTunes phone thats been coming for the past year.

With the slim form factor of the nano (0.27"), you can literally stick it to the back of any phone.

While its true that MOTO did indeed FINALLY release the iTunes ROKR phone same day as the nano ... be aware that it is capped at 100 songs. Despite the memory slot, you cant exceed 100 songs at any time. Yup, sounds stupid, but think about Apple Co ... iTunes is theirs, and they want to sell iPods, they are not in the phone market. A high capacity iTunes phone would kill the shuffle and hurt sales of the nano.

Sure we'll see one eventually, but it will be a while before it has multi-Gigs of memory and is iTunes compatible. in the meantime ... like I said ... velcro.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Buzz,

I agree, on a concert or comedy recording, where separate tracks are joined only by noise from the audience, the distraction would be minor. But on the Pizzicato Five and Cornelius albums I listen to, where two or more songs segue into one another (think side 2 of Abbey Road) the pauses are a distraction which I am not willing to accept.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
The only thing I would do to circumvent that would be to link the songs together via iTunes. But then again, I can see the argument for wanting to go forward to a section and so forth.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> Hard drives in portable devices has never seemed like a good idea to me, so I've never been even remotely drawn to iPods until the Nano. 4-GB is more than enough for me.

So I guess you don't like laptop computers, eh?

I guess 4 GB is OK if you have a small music collection, but that would hold less than 10% of mine.

> You forgot to mention that the iPod Nano is 100% flash based - means you can run, jump, parachute, whatever, and it will never miss a beat.

I can do those things with my 60GB ipod photo, no problems.

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
>So I guess you don't like laptop computers, eh?

Actually, no, I don't care much for laptop computers. I've never even owned one. And even if I did, I wouldn't strap it to my arm and go skydiving with it.

>I can do those things with my 60GB ipod photo, no problems.

So, I guess you've been skydiving with your 60GB iPod, eh?

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
While I'm sure that a lot of MP3 players have a 'lag' when loading the next MP3 file to play, the gap is also added when creating the MP3.

Note:
This is a wave form of a PCM/WAV file

and this is a wave form of the above file, saved as an MP3:

Notice the tiny gap of silence at the head of the file

Scott Dautel

Second Unit
I actually agree with Chris ... the notorious skipping with HDD-based DAP's is WAAAAAAY overblown. But let me elaborate for those who may not have experienced it.

Hard-drive based players all contain a small flash "buffer" memory, it typically holds about 20 minutes of music. Each time you start up a new play list or change your selection, the HDD spins up and dumps your newest request into the buffer. Then the HDD shuts down to save power. Output always plays out of the buffer. The HDD wont spin up if the unit is shaking, bumping, etc. For runners who typically do a continuous run of greater than 20-30 min., a HDD player will be unable to reload the buffer in mid-run, due to the bouncing impact. When the buffer runs out, the player will STOP, until you stop running and give it a few seconds to "reload". Obviously, shipping tracks or choosing a new selection in mid-run puts you closer to the end of the current buffer contents.

I was being facetious about Skydiving ... it shouldn't be a problem, unless you dropped it ... but I cant say I've ever tried it. ;)

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
Why in the world would you want music for skydiving? Isn't that intense enough by itself? Don't you want to hear the wind?

I don't see why an ipod would have playback problems in that situation, though. If you can run with one, why can't you fall?

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Chris, you missed my point entirely. But that's okay. It was subtle. Life goes on.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
I was both horrified and astonished. I think Apple's just found their marketing angle. Think Samsonite! :D

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I am saying it now...by the end of the year, EVERY product (from electronics to candy) is going to be using "Nano" in it's name.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks