What's new

Will The Fast And The Furious DVD Be dts? (1 Viewer)

jez

Stunt Coordinator
What is Universal's situation on dts at the momment are they releasing titles with it?
Only asking cause i will only buy the above if it has a dts soundtrack.
Cheers :)
------------------
"You've done a man's job sir. I guess you're through"
CLICK HERE

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I believe Universal still owns a piece of DTS, so the likelihood is yes. The Universal DVD of Scorsese's Cape Fear, which streeted today, has a DTS track.
M.

Luis A

Second Unit
I agree with you Jez. If The Fast and the Furious is not releaed with DTS, It will be a rental just like Driven. L

Daniel Schenk

Stunt Coordinator
I think Universal is a Studio that really supports DTS. Many recent Discs have a DTS Track and i believe that they will continue to release new titles with DTS. I`m 100% sure that Fast and the Furious will come with a DTS Track.

mark_d

Second Unit
What Brent asked. Would you really not buy a movie you liked because of a codec? DD Gone in 60 Seconds sounds awesome. DD SuperSpeedway sounds awesome. I have not seen The Fast And The Furious yet (it just opened over here) but it sounds like my bag and a probable buy. I'm pretty certain a DD TFATF will be awesome.
Again - what Brent said - not a flame just genuinely curious.
Mark

Perry Jonkheer

Second Unit
I agree with you guys. Whether DTS or DD is better has been argued on this forum forever. 9/10 people say they cannot hear any difference at all. I too am curious why you wouldn't buy a disc without a DTS track on it. Doesn't make much sense to me. I guess it all boils down to opinion and personal preference.
------------------
PJ

James Nguyen

Second Unit
I typically also can't hear the difference between DTS and DD as well, but I often look for the DTS track if not for the reason that some studios have been known to release YADDE (yet another definitive dvd edition) that will include a dts track, some new commentaries, and other new extras. Somehow those releases already with DTS just seem more "future proof"
rolleyes.gif
to me.
(Nutjobs like me just always have to the newest and "greatest" release of a flick... sigh...it's quite the affliction unfortunately)

jez

Stunt Coordinator
Well having listned to it in a dolby digital cinema and a dts cinema, i noticed quite a difference.
I would not ussualy say this however, The fast and the furious is such a loud film, where sound is very important.
For example if i were buying Memento that would not really bother me dolby or dts
wink.gif

There we have it.
Anybody understand that?
Cheers :)
------------------
CLICK HERE

Luis A

Second Unit
I don't pass up every movie thats not in DTS (SW Episode 1,Total Recall,Forrest Gump) but DD does'nt draw me into the movie like DTS does. I'm not sure what kind of equipment any of you use, but in my theater (3 M&K S150-P,4 MPS2525-P, 2 MX350 subs, and B&K REF-30) the diffrence is obvious. Everyone who is happy with DD great, but I demand the best in my theater and to me that means DTS. :) L
P.S. Please do not take any offense to my opinion since thats all it is.

Perry Jonkheer

Second Unit
Jez,
I saw The Fast and the Furious in a DD theater and to this day I believe it to be the best sounding movie I have ever heard. DTS is simply not compressed as much as DD. In my opinion, the compression is not evident any further after the level at which DD is compressed.
------------------
PJ

jez

Stunt Coordinator
eeerrr i thought that was the whole point of why dts sounds better than dolby digital. It is compressed more making more use of the sound, also why there is less room for extras on a dts dvd.
If you still think that dolby digital and dts are the same, i recomend you listen to Saving Private Ryan dts compared to dolby digital. Or flick between them during Die Hard, then you will hear the difference much sharper sound disribution whilst Dolby seems soft.
:)
------------------
CLICK HERE

DanR

Supporting Actor
That's some good news. This movie was a nice surprise; perhaps it's because I went in with low expectations. I hope Vin Diesel becomes the next tough guy action hero because I'm getting tired of seeing Stallone over the last 20 years!!!
I also agree about this movie's soundtrack, which blew me away in the theater. It actually brought a smile to my face in a couple of places.
Regards,
Dan

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Jez, the fact that a film sounded better in one theatre equipped with DTS than in another theatre equipped with Dolby Digital doesn't mean any sort of meaningful comparison of the two systems can be made.
Further complicating any comparison is the fact that the theatrical version of DTS is completely different from the domestic system found on DVD.
As for less compression equating to better sound, this is very much up to debate. In the cases you cite, the DTS version of Saving Private Ryan used a completely different master than the Dolby Digital release, which explains the significant sonic difference between the two discs. Die Hard's DTS soundtrack is also several dB louder than the Dolby Digital soundtrack, which would result in a subjectively better sounding soundtrack.
Adam

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks