What's new

Will Black Hawk Down be dts ?? (1 Viewer)

Quint van der Vaart

Second Unit
I wast just wondering wether Black Hawk Down will be with a dts track when it is released on dvd.
I am hoping it will have dts so that we won't have to buy this movie twice (in a Superbit release).
Does anyone have some more info on this matter ??
Thanx ;)

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
it was DTS at the theater I saw it in, at least I believe it was. So I'd assume the option is there to do it. I don't know about the chance of that happening though.

Richard Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Didn't Ridley Scott get MGM(a studio who I don't think has ever put DTS on other discs) to put a DTS track on Hannibal? Maybe he'll insist on Columbia including it on the Black Hawk Down DVD as well.
Richard

DanR

Supporting Actor
Yeah, it was alleged that Ridley Scott wanted DTS on Hannibal. I think it's VERY reasonable to expect DTS on BlackHawk Down. Charlie de Lauzirikia (Gladiator, Hannibal) is on board as the DVD producer for BHD. I cannot wait for this DVD as I expect it has a great chance to unseat Gladiator as the "crown jewel" DVD in my 160+ DVD library.

Regards,

Dan

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Has there been any info about this DVD...extras or anything. It would be kewl to include the History Channel and Larry King specials. A commentary with Mark Bowden would also be damn kewl.

Voon Jiet

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Voon
Ridley Scott seems to be quite a supporter of DTS, so I would expect him to at least make some effort getting DTS onto the BHD DVD. Would be cool if he does that :)
By the way Quint, are you by any chance related to that soccer player from Ajax Amsterdam (Rafael van der Vaart)? ;)

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
Just curious, would there have been cell phones in '93 Samalia, as depicted in the film? Maybe this bothered me more than it should have, but I found it hard to believe that a war-torn third world country would have the infrastructure in place.

Anyway, a great movie that I can't wait to own. I bet there is a ton of stuff related to both the film, and the actual event they could pack on to a second disc.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Aaron, it's quite possible they had cell phones. They're an efficient means of communication so I'm sure the Warlords would want them in place. Of course, they bought cast-off technology, note how old the phones were, even in 1993

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
Yep, that country did have cell phones back then.

In Three Kings, you also see a box of confiscated cell phones. Three Kings is set during the Gulf War.

Quint van der Vaart

Second Unit
Hey Voon , well no I am not related to him but people ask me
that very often. :)
Back on the Black Hawk Down subject I now heard a releasedate for the dvd namely June 11 2002.
Well I have no doubt in my mind that this dvd will rock and have some very nice features.
Since Bruckheimer and Scott both are involved in this movie I expect this one to be DTS as well but hey that doesn't say anything these days does it.
Greetz

Hakan Powers

Stunt Coordinator
Keith,

it was DTS at the theater I saw it in, at least I believe it was. So I'd assume the option is there to do it. I don't know about the chance of that happening though.

The theatrical sound format is irrelevant in this case. Since it was a Sony release, it was probably also released in SDDS - but the important fact is that it was released in a 5.1+ format. Before the soundmix is transfered to SDDS, DD, DTS etc. for theatrical release it sits on the hard drives of the mixer - and it's from those mixes that the DVD track is made, in whatever format they choose.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
The fact that a movie was released theatrically in DTS has absolutely no bearing on whether it will be in DTS on DVD. Remember, Warner and Paramount frequently release movies in DTS in the theaters.

Also, theatrical DTS is much different from DVD DTS, so even if there was a DTS theatrical track and the studio planned on releasing it in DTS on DVD, they would still need to remix a whole new track.

As for Black Hawk Down, like others have speculated, I'd say the chances are good that it will have a DTS track, but not definite. Only time will tell.

Neil J

Stunt Coordinator
I'm sure the dvd will be very nice, but I would be very interested in a commentary track with some of the people that were there.

Eric Stuckey

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric Stuckey
I seen this movie a few weeks ago and just loved it. I think it was the best movie i'v seen since The Mummy Returns. And if Ridly Scott dosnt win best director,there is something wrong with the acadamy awards.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Almost EVERY big movie is released in DTS, SDDS, and Dolby Digital, and the 'plain-Jane' Dolby Surround... so that is irrelevant. It has to do with both the studio AND the director. It IS alleged that Ridley MADE MGM add DTS to Hannibal (I believe it is MGMs ONLY DTS disc to date [correct me if I am wrong please]).
DTS is fine with me... but... it isn't really...
Oh, nevermind. That's another thread :D

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
I believe that Keith was simply making the point that a DTS mix of the film does exist, and not that it will automatically be included on the DVD because of that fact alone.

"Legend" is another Scott DVD to go DTS.

I would bet that the "Black Hawk Down" DVD will have a DTS track. But that is only a guess based on the track record of Ridley Scott films on DVD.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
I think it was the best movie i'v seen since The Mummy Returns.
Now I can't put my finger on it but there is something odd about that comment.

I'm hoping for a dts mix on this dvd, and I hope Ridley insists on it, but if we have an excellent DD mix then i'll be a happy camper.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks