What's new

Why won't Target carry MGS2?!! (1 Viewer)

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Hopefully someone from Minnesota can explain this. I've stopped by two Target stores in the Twin Cities and called three others. All electronics dept. clerks had no clue about Metal Gear Solid 2, much less know that it will be released this week.
However, when I pressed, they consulted with their colleagues and relayed the message that Target will not carry this title. One clerk thought they might carry this title several weeks down the road.
I was hoping to get MGS2 at Target since I've got a good sized gift certificate to burn. At first, I thought that Target's refusal (?) to carry this title is linked to its 'M' rating. However, as I looked through their stock, I saw that they carried Twisted Metal Black and Devil May Cry, both 'M' titles.
So, what the hell gives?
------------------
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Probably just clueless employees.
-Dave
------------------
DVD List
"The page you are looking for is here no more. Quoth the Raven, 'Nevermore.'"

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
As I thought, too, Dave. That's why I visited another and then called three others. All gave me the same answer - Target will not get MGS2.
In fact, prominently displayed on the counter in front of the games showcase is a release list of PS2 (and all other systems) games and their respective release dates. I seem to remember that this list dates to the end of November, if not into December.
Anyway, MGS2 is not on this list. And the clerks used this list to further drive home their point that Target is not carrying this game.
------------------

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
That's dumb. Why would a major chain like Target refuse to carry an event game like Metal Gear Solid 2?
My friend Bob works at Target. Maybe he will be able to enlighten us with what the hell's going on here.
------------------
-J.Fo
"He represents all that is soulless and wrong... and you slept with him!"

Indeed I may be able to shed at leas somelight on this.
Before I went to working over nights at Target I worked actully in Electronics.
THe only thing that imeditly sticks out is the whole stupid Terrosit thing. The reason I say this is shortly after 9-11 we puled all our flight sims off the shelves ad also "terrosit" themed games,we even pulled off a ps2 game called "city crissis" pecuase it pictured a towering inferno on the cover.
Having said that,and that I now work nights and dont really see anyone from dayside, I would Call target and ask if this is the reason. Then maybe even ask for the elctrioncs lead, not "the manger on duty" because they dont know there head from a hole in the ground when comes to the electrioncs dept, and ask him or her about it.
hope this helps
let us know what you find out.
peace
------------------
"Don't Stop Belevin' that Someday Soon the KWYJIBO will Escape by using the Force"

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
Possibly because it's a game that involves terrorist's?
Just a thought.
Andrew
------------------
ICQ# - 119869807

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Thanks, Bob & Jeff. Actually, I did a little more surveillance and found something out.
Went back to the Roseville Target and saw the same clerk. Ignored her and scanned the PS2 games shelves. After being told on Monday that Target won't carry the game, I was surprised to see a sticker & slot for MGS2 games. Obviously, no games but it looks like Target may carry this game after all.
Still is strange that their new release list does not include this game, the biggest PS2 game of the holidays. So, I asked the same lady I asked on Monday about MGS2 and when they're carrying it. Again, she had no clue. I loved it when she said they won't carry it since it's not on their list, yet when I pointed to the slot reserved for MGS2, she just shrugged her shoulders.
So, I'll call and try and find out when Target will stock the game. Perhaps because of the terrorist subject matter, Target is keeping a low hum on this.
And Jeff, if you do find something more out, please let us know. Thanks!
------------------

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Heh, keep an eye on the store and if there is an 18 to 30 yr old guy working there, I bet he will have checked it out. :)
-Dave
------------------
DVD List
"The page you are looking for is here no more. Quoth the Raven, 'Nevermore.'"

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
It's just Target looking out for our best interests. Personally, I feel MUCH better knowing that a store is censoring things that they feel I shouldn't see!!!
Maybe it's because games make people do evil things? Target knows better than you, that if you play MGS2, you'll probably become a terrorist.
*sarcasm off*
------------------
"...better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it". - Slater, True Romance

I'll keep you posted too if I see any come in overnight at my target in Brooklyn Center
cool.gif

------------------
"Don't Stop Belevin' that Someday Soon the KWYJIBO will Escape by using the Force"

indeed we did we got about 16 copys in today :D
------------------

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Thanks Bob...I'll try and hop in tonight or this weekend. It's anyone's guess why Target doesn't advertise the fact that they're carrying this game.
------------------

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
Well, it looks like we're all a bunch of happy Minnesotans in this thread. Cool.
------------------
-J.Fo
"He represents all that is soulless and wrong... and you slept with him!"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks