What's new

Why SVS is so popular? (1 Viewer)

Drew_W

Screenwriter
I suppose you get used to it if you listen to alot of recordings made in large spaces. That recording remember was made in a HUGE multi-story department store and it is therefore impossible to absolutely remove all ambient noises. And I believe that they miked the organ from a distance (which is a good thing) but that also contributed to more noise.

But like I said, if you're used to listening to stuff recorded in studios or small settings, then it's a bit of a change. If you listen to stuff recorded in a live environment in a HUGE building, where the space is not designed specifically for performances like this, then that's different.

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
ChrisBee,

Check AVS site's "What Is Your System Configuration" Forum and look for a thread titled "A Humble HT Reference System" (mine) for a brief explanation for the application or use of so many 16-46s, although I can basically state that Tom "V" suggested that amount of subs to meet the environ requirements of my HT set up to begin with (something that I wholeheartedly embraced with the enthusiasm that only true bass nuts are wont to generate!)... ;)

Seth--L

Screenwriter

Some of the hiss is also probably the mechanism(s) that is pumping air into the organ.

Just how loud are you turning the volume up? On my system I have to turn the volume up to the point that I'll damage my speakers and my ears in order for the hiss to really be noticeable.

Also, considering that the organ is played almost exclusively during store hours, the disc presents a rare opportunity to hear it without shoppers.

I more or less know Conte, so when I have a chance, which should be in the next week or so, I'll ask him his thoughts on the matter.

ChrisBee

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks frank

Nice toy box! :D

Interesting reading about the destruction of a glass candle holder (in the context of this this particular thread).

Is this the only recorded instance of physical damage caused by a "domestic" subwoofer? It always amazes me how much LF vibration is put into the listening environment by a decent sub. One might have expected window damage at the very least. Sympathetic resonance can be very destructive.

ChrisBee

PS: That AVS forum colour palette is a real test of visual accuity! Yellow text on brown & deep blue? Woops! :b

AxelKro

Stunt Coordinator
Seth--L & Drew_W,

thank for the responses.
Yep, maybe I am too much pleased with all the good stuff I got via the DVD Audio records I bought lately.
Maybe the recording is a little TOO close to reality :)

I've set the volume to 0db on my AV-Controller for the "MAGIC!".
The Controller shows a range from -70 to +30db. With other CD's, -10db is the "ususal" setting for a loud listening session and normal playback is done with about -25db.

I hear the noise with any volume level as the organ does play from a rather large distance. I may have to get used to it, or I'll sell it again.

REAL bass is in the Cannon shots on the Movie "Master & Commander", which I would take as a reference for Bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks