What's new

Why SVS is so popular? (1 Viewer)

ChrisBee

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,

I've been browsing about infrasound and its effects on the human body and brain.

It would seem that today's better subwoofers are getting into serious near-infrasound territory at levels which affect mood and intellectual performance.

Infrasound has been used for centuries in large cathedral organs to give a spiritual lift to the congregation. Religious feelings can run high when the human being is exposed to the output of the longest pipes. 32footers produce 16Hz at considerable dB(A)s.

These low frequencies can have strange effects on people exposed to them. Feelings of elation, sorrow, cold, heat and nausea are known responses.

Anyone care to speculate on the effects of regular doses of 100+dB @ sub-20Hz on the average audio/HT enthusiast? If not on occasional bumps and bangs from DVD films then why not on music? Repetitive doses of high level infrasound over extended periods anybody? Ever felt unexpectedly elated at loud, bassy rock concerts?

The near religious zeal of the SVS clubmembers may actually have a basis after all. We're not crazy. We're just hooked on near-infrabass induced highs!:b

You think this sounds crazy? Hitler's lot used infrasound at specific frequencies to enrage the crowds prior to his mad race hatred rantings.

HT enthusiasts refer to feeling tired or "drained" when they've been listening at reference levels. Even on short (well known) bass effects chapters. It is addictive isn't it? :crazy:

My 16-46 PCi reaches 15Hz. 10dB above the musical background thanks to room gain! No wonder I'm grinning when I listen to Satriani at a steady 100dB on the meter! No wonder others sometimes feel I exagerate the physical effects of listening at these levels. Could this be the reason I feel compelled to share my enthusiasm for SVS? :D

Discuss? :)

ChrisBee

Wayde_R

Stunt Coordinator
Fascinating topic Chrisbee. I'd be interested in hearing what others say.

I for one rarely approach 100db unless I misjudge how loud that is. I get a feeling of elation from deepest bass but I usually think of it as a wow factor. I like to listen to music before I go to work or run. One of my favourite CDs is Dead Can Dance - into the labrynth. They use just such an organ and the CD was recorded in a well known cathedral (don't know what/where but I guess in the UK). The sound quality is very good on that CD.

On that note:
Anyone have suggestions where I might find good quality recordings of that kind of music, 'chruch' music or any kind of classical recordings using those giant organs? Or something using harpsichord? (sorry, I'm not versed in this kind of music but I'd like to hear those instruments)
Preferably a DVD-Audio or SACD recording of this stuff? I'd like to be able to seek a well produced recording by name/label. Maybe I should ask this in another forum.

Thanks
Wayde

GrahamT

Supporting Actor
"when I listen to Satriani at a steady 100dB on the meter!"
:eek:
Holy Cripes!

I listen at 80-85 dB and I thought that was loud.

I think you are on to something here, other crazy infrasonic victims are the DIYers and infinite bafflers.

ScottCarr

Second Unit
When I first started into HT Cambridge sound entered the house, quickly returned. Klipsch was next and the rsw10 entered the house. Poking around on the Klipsch forum SVS seem to keep popping up. loking at the price of subs and not impressed with the RSW10 I began looking at alternatives.

I emailed svs and tom replied. He worked with me to get the most out of the RSW. his service and assistance was head and shoulders above any service I had ever received. The PC+ was ordered and I have been a satisfied SvS customer since.

The PCUs are simply awesome as is the SvS service and products and prices.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
SVS has a great thing going with subs.. I just hope it stays going. Seems like your always having to find a different way to market and unless your on one of the forums where SVS is mentioned (thats how I heard about them) your really don't know of them except for some of the smaller ads they put into some magazines. They have hit the nail on the head for subs for the price though no doubt about it!!!! I love my PB2+

ChrisBee

Stunt Coordinator
Wayde,

Thanks for the CD recommendation.I'll see if I can get it.
If you want bass and classical organ I would recommend works by Vierne. Not easy listening but awesome use of the bigger pipes. I built two 20Hz bandpass subwoofers after hearing a 30 minute radio programme of Vierne's music.:D

Graham

I recommend Satriani's "Engines of Creation". More musical than many of his CDs. Select track 7. Raise the gain by a couple of notches on your 16-46 then crank the volume control on the stereo amp to a steady 100dB at the listening position.
I liken the experience to the floor dissolving and my chair falling through in slow motion! NO idea what the frequency is but it is quite an incredible feeling.:D

My worry about true infinite baffles is that they can reach 7Hz at reasonable volumes. The killer frequency discovered by the early sonic weapons researchers. :b

I was able to make myself very nauseous at will when testing my bandpass sub's frequency response. I wish I could remember the frequency. So I can avoid it on the 16-46! :eek:

ChrisBee

GrahamT

Supporting Actor
I dont have a 16-46, I have a EBS Tempest tuned to 16 Hz. I'll check that CD. Over at HTT James W built a IB that goes to 120+ at 10Hz:eek:

Drew_W

Screenwriter
All this talk of organs has piqued my interest, so I'll address a few points from an organist's standpoint.

Yes, MAGIC! is definately a great CD for any classical lover (or not) to have in their collection. It's worth having at any price since the organ sounds fantastic, the playing is superb, and the repretoire played is just pure guilty fun (you can't take transcriptions seriously can you?). I don't know if it's *THE* most impressive recording, but it's definately up there as one of the best CDs made in recent times. (To nitpick, Conte didn't arrange everything on the CD :), but who cares. It's some good solid stuff).

Of course, this has nothing to do with SVS directly, but I thought I'd chime in anyways...

ChrisBee

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for a great post Drew. It's always fascinating to get an inside view from an expert on the subject.

While I agree a surprising and impressive amount of "weight" can be had from 16 foot pipes. I love the unique, almost subliminal, "breathy" quality of the really big stuff.
I presume the true 32 foot pipes merely modulate what's happening higher up? (since they are supposedly inaudible?)
I also wonder whether "beating" occurs between similar deep notes on the organ? Some incredibly low frequencies might be obtained that way.

In regards to the "spiritual uplift" from the big pipes I was simply relating what I'd read online about infrasound.
I don't know about the spiritual side of things, but bass certainly makes me happy. And organ music bass even more so. Particularly from my 16-46 PCi. :)

Regards
ChrisBee

Seth--L

Screenwriter

Yeah, I forgot that he didn't do the Nimrod and only edited Wotan's Farewell and Fire Music.

Drew_W

Screenwriter

I'll disagree to that. While it is a great medium for transcriptions, it can do organ repretoire as well, and I find no reason it should be restricted to playing only orchestral works. With some creative interpretation, one can put its vast tonal resources to good use on organ repretoire. Besides, if it wasn't for this organ, Marcel Dupré's Symphonie-Passion would not exist. The work is an absolutely beautiful four movement symphony that Dupré initially improvised at the Wannamaker, then committed to paper in his hotel room in the days following.

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
Am going to try those organ recordings to see if I can cause tremors with my eight 16-46 subs within my locality here in So Cal. If not, then I'll add a B-4+ too!... :D

-THTS

Matthew Todd

Second Unit
Frank, I'm still in awe of the fact that you've got 8 16-46's. Would that be roughly the equivalent of 2 B-4+'s?

Matt

ChrisBee

Stunt Coordinator
Not so much 5.1. More like 5.8! :D

When you say tremors I presume you meant "earth" tremors?

Is that wise in California? They might blame you for the next one!

ChrisBee

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
Matt,

If the 8-SVS subs can only "roughly" do what a B-4+ does...then I really need to add a B-4+ to the mix! :D

-THTS

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
Chris,

That's precicely what I meant! :D

But since I still lust after a B-4+ with the deep passion of a teenager, one will become part of the mix sooner or later...hopefully sooner than later... ;)

-THTS

ChrisBee

Stunt Coordinator
frank manrique

Have you a website or a link to a thread where you describe the how, where, what & why of your unusual multi-sub system? I'm fascinated by the thought of so many 16-46s huddled together. I keep wondering if mine is lonely! :D

ChrisBee

AxelKro

Stunt Coordinator
Hi, Seth--L & Drew_W,

after reading your posts , I bought the "MAGIC!" CD and was very disappointed.

If I play it at a volume level, where the noise is low, the organ sounds as if it would play in a church next door, and when I drive the organ loud enough , the room noise is that loud that I do not have any pleasure with the CD. :frowning:

I would not recommend this recording as a reference.

My HiFi components are not having any noise on their own, so, I must assume, that it is on the recording. Therefor you should see this effect too. Isn't it disturbing for you guys as well??

Regards,
Axel

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks