What's new

Why is Unbreakable such a good (or bad) movie? (1 Viewer)

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
I liked the movie for the same reason most everyone else liked it. I just wish I didn't ask to know the ending in "Unbreakable" or "The Sixth Sense":frowning: I didn't think I would watch them so I cheated and hence, I cheated myself.

Tim Maynard

Stunt Coordinator
Patrick Sun wrote:

David did not murder that creep in the orange jump suit.

If you watch the movie carefully, David puts the sleeper hold on the creep (due to his security training in restraining and subdueing unruly men), and when he lets go of the creep, the creep plops to the floor, but is still breathing (autonomically).
I'm pretty sure if you read the newspaper article about the mysterious hero, I think you find that it says the parents bodies are found in the house with the body of the killer. I'll check on it later, but that's what I remember.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I like Unbreakable for the same reason I like The Sixth Sense. Not because of the solid acting, the excellent pacing, the incredible cinematography, or even the use of colour (Both these films have a great use of colour, everything very muted except what your supposed to see, Don't you think?).
No, I like and rewatch these movies because the caught me off guard. On second or later viewings it becomes appearent that M. Night Shyamalan couldn't have made the "suprise" ending more clear from the get-go if he wrote it on a Post-It note and stuck it to your forhead. But at first viewing it got me off guard, and I was hooked:)

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I'm pretty sure if you read the newspaper article about the mysterious hero, I think you find that it says the parents bodies are found in the house with the body of the killer. I'll check on it later, but that's what I remember
He is dead! My wife and I had a discussion about this and decided to freeze frame the newspaper article, sure enough..., he's dead along with the parents. David was not left with much of a choice.
I grew up reading comic books, my wife did not. We both love this movie! We can watch it over and over...

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Michael, go check out the breathing on the creep when it laid out on the bedroom floor, the guy is breathing. :)

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Michael, go check out the breathing on the creep when it laid out on the bedroom floor, the guy is breathing
That's cool but the newspaper the next day says he's dead. (Along with the parents)
I've seen lots of actors breathing in movies when they shouldn't be. ;)
P.S. David tried to subdue him for a long time, in the end he does two quick jerks with the sleeper and you can definitely hear a "snapping" sound.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
I watched this again tonight. Man, I really enjoy this movie more each time I watch it. I love the soundtrack. And I forgot how well the sound is mixed in the opening scene.
However, I'm not too impressed with the PQ of this. Has there been a re-release of this with a new transfer? I have the original.
As an aside, as I watched this, everytime I saw Samuel Jackson, I kept thinking of a photo someone Photoshopped for a movie he's doing called "Snakes On a Plane". Basically, he has a walkie-talkie and is screaming into it, "We got mother F_in' snakes!" I had to pause the movie because I was laughing so hard. Don't ask me why I thought of that, but there you go. :)
The thread of Snakes on a Plane in DVD Talk Forum.
The photo. (I didn't want to post it here incase it might offend someone.)

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
You could tell Shyamalan's head was getting big as well as his ego after Sixth Sense.

The film was too full of itself. Plus tyou have the "I gotta have a surprise ending since Sixth Sense was so successful" thing.

A missed opportunity.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Unbreakable was the last Shyamalan film that I enjoyed from start to finish, wish I could say the same about Signs or The Village.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks