Why is Unbreakable such a good (or bad) movie?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Kevin Porter, Jan 23, 2002.

1. Kevin Porter

Kevin Porter Supporting Actor

I heard some people say that this was brilliant and some people say it sucked completely. I saw this and I feel I need to see it again because I was thinking about purchasing the DVD. So I was wondering what you guys think made this film so great or what made this film so horrible. Anyone want to chime in?

~Kevin

2. Kevin Porter

Kevin Porter Supporting Actor

I know this is a kick-butt DVD (Isn't it?) but I'm still a tad undecided about this movie. I know people said it was great and people say it sucked majorly. What do ya'll think about the movie itself? What makes so great or so horrible. And what do you think about the overall DVD quality. Thanks again.

~Kevin

3. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

I absolutely loved Unbreakable. While I wouldn't call it a flawless film, Unbreakable has a somber and deliberate tone that I found very compelling.
    The idea of a modern man believing he's a "super hero" could have failed in so many ways, but I think Shyamalan did a fantastic job. If he had done this movie BEFORE The Sixth Sense, I bet more people would like it.
    I look at Unbreakable as a very cool movie prequel to a comic book that never existed. (Did that make sense?)

4. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

This is one of those "love it or hate it" movies. I responded to your movie question in the other thread.
    Regarding the DVD, I highly recommend it. I believe it was the first in the Vista Series, and if it wasn't I'm sure someone will correct me. The special features are quite extensive, the deleted scenes are particularly cool, and the packaging is very slick.
    I'd say rent the movie first, then base your decision on how much you enjoyed it. Heck, even if you LOVE it, Unbreakable doesn't seem to be the kind of flick you would watch too often...

5. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    If the sale is still on it was at Hollywood Vid prev. viewed for $8.00.

Wes

6. Glenise

Glenise Supporting Actor

I hated it but my cousin loved it.

I bought two copies of "Unbreakable" from Best Buy a while ago.

One for my Dad and one for myself.

Well, I watched the movie last year and it was slow at H***.

I still had my Dad's copy. (unopened).

I gave my Dad my opened copy and took his copy back to Best Buy and got my money back.

Actually, I only bought the movie because my Dad said it has a DTS soundtrack and was supposed to be a good movie.

When I got to Best Buy I found out that the director of this movie also directed "The Sixth Sense".

So I thought it must be a good movie.

I also thought "The Sixth Sense" was over hyped.

Ugh.

I couldn't see watching this movie again anytime soon.

The best part of the movie was when Samuel Jackson was in a wheelchair looking at some comic books and he wouldn't get out of the store.

7. DannyS

DannyS Second Unit

6ht sense and unbreakable. one word. MARVELLOUS!

buy them now. both are so damn clever movies. the plots are very very intracate and deep, and require loads of viewings.. you pick up more each time. MASTERPIECES both of em.

8. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

I think Shyamalan did a really admirable job, and Bruce Willis and Sam Jackson give great performances. But for me, the plot is just so uncinematic its untrue. The deliberate tone mentioned above is basically translated as (IMO) zero plot. The "plot" consists of basically him realising that hes a super-hero. That's it.
    But that said, it could have been SOOOOOOOOO much worse. So for making it at least watchable, I give those involved a [​IMG]!
    But if this had originally been a book it would have been unfilmable!

9. Prentice Cotham

Prentice Cotham Supporting Actor

I thought the movie was great. I've watched it twice and I love the whole, slow development of the characters.

10. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

Some people say "slow." I say "deliberately paced." Unbreakable couldn't possibly live up to the hype machine that was The Sixth Sense... but taken on its own merits, it is one of the better movies in recent history. The performances are all dead-on perfect, the direction and cinematography fresh and interesting, and the soundtrack very dynamic and musical. Luckily, it's also a damn interesting movie in that it handles the comic book hero mythos more realistically than any movie before. While I would have liked to see more in the way of extras, given the inclusion of a second disc, this is still an excellent presentation of an excellent movie. Watch it at volume and be haunted by James Newton Howard's score, then scared by the sudden dynamic bursts of sound during the film's moments of revelation.

11. Terrell

Terrell Producer

I loved it, even moreso than Sixth Sense. The telling of the basic story of a superhero and a villian in such human terms, plus the performances by Willis, Jackson, and the yound boy drew me in.

12. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

Unbreakable is a brilliant concept but I don't know that it made it to the screen in good shape.
    As negatives it has a slow pace: it feels like a long movie and it takes too long with some parts of the story that really don't need it
    Bruce Willis doesn't need/bother to change character from the Sixth Sense.
    A REALLY terribly disappointing 'tacked-on' ending.
    Personally I think this was wasted as movie, engaging though Jackson is (he totally carries the film). It would have made a fantastic mini-series with: some other writers involved in intervening episodes, most of the movie being the pilot, and the finale held back until the last episode of the series.
    It could have been great but I think most people would agree that it's not quite there.
    I'm surprised how many people hate it, though, because it really doesn't deserve that.[​IMG]

13. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

I've answered you in the other thread in Software. This is going to be confusing. Are mods able to merge these in one forum?

14. mark_d

mark_d Second Unit

Well, I adore this movie.

Why? Many reasons. There's the concept, the visuals, the score (excellent), the pacing, the fantastic performances all round. Shyamalan seems to be a bit of a Spielberg when it comes to getting performances out of youngsters.

Some scenes I find simply electrifying. David Dunn lifting weights, his son pulling the gun on him, the eventual confrontation with the murderer. Brilliant.

Mark

15. JasonKrol

JasonKrol Supporting Actor

although I thought there were some really good scenes in this movie, like mentioned above, and the train scene, I still though towards the end the movie got really "stupid". I was thinking that there was going to be something really supernatural at work..something interesting..and just to be dissappointed with the ending..wasnt worth the build up.

but, i guess all in all, the movie was entertaining..and Id probably watch it again..and who knows..maybe the second time around i wont expect as much and I might like it more..?

16. Rob_C

Rob_C Stunt Coordinator

I really liked this movie. Much better than the overrated Sixth Sense.

17. Paul Mason

Paul Mason Stunt Coordinator

I really liked the movie, not as much Sixth Sense though.

I think it's a sign of how good this movie is that it is almost a formulaic re-creation of the elements of Sixth Sense - and yet they still managed to make it very watchable and entertaining.

I'd like to have seen a more impressive super-hero by the end of the movie but I can see why they didn't do that. They wanted to play the "it can all be explained naturally" line as long as possible.

Maybe I'm dumb but I didn't spot the twist in either movie, but for me the one in Sixth Sense was more satisfying because I think it had a deeper impact on how you view the whole story.

18. Ross Waite

Ross Waite Stunt Coordinator

Personally, I really like Unbreakable. I have to agree with the comments that it is "deliberately paced"...excellent description IMO. I am a bit surprised it didn't do better at the box office.

The concept is great, and the execution is very good (again, IMO). In fact, I think the ending is very powerfull.

Yes, the characters are a little bit 2-dimensional...however, I think this may have been MNS' intent. I base this on the information provided with the extras.

Is it The Sixth Sense? No. But then, it wasn't supposed to be.

Oh yeah, I think the Vista Series release is rather well done.

...Just my $0.02 worth...

-Ross

19. Kirsten

Kirsten Stunt Coordinator

I really loved this movie, but it seems that it is one of those love 'em or hate 'em kind of shows. Just after I had watched Unbreakable, we were discussing the story at work. I was surprised that I was the only one at the office who actually enjoyed the movie. Most of my co-workers disliked the show, but they were very vague in discussing why.

Personally, I liked the story. My only disappointment was that Willis did not do more with his "super hero powers" once he had discovered them. I feel that there could have been much more to the show, but nevertheless, it is worth seeing again.

20. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Quoting the two guys on In Living Color (Men On Films)

HATED IT I watched it and watched it and I have to admit it intrigued you then poof, anyway I would get it.