What's new

Why is Unbreakable such a good (or bad) movie? (1 Viewer)

Rob T

Screenwriter
I think it's great.
It's mainly directed towards comic book fans so if you're a comic book fan then I'm sure you'll enjoy it. :)

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
I thought Unbreakable was awesome. If you like comics or superheroes, it's great. If you don't, it's slow. It really depends.

Chris Maynard

Supporting Actor
Thread merged from one at software started by same user.

Just to clarify if some of the posts seem a bit confusing...

Eve T

Supporting Actor
I saw this movie in the theater and the only thing that really annoyed me about it was the little kid, I mean he was such a whiner. But as the film progressed I found myself more involved with it than I thought I would be. I ended up buying the DVD and watched it once. Like Jack I never bothered with the bonus disc of material. However, after viewing this post today I decided to pop in this film and give it another try, I obviously didn't hate the movie as I purchased the DVD so what the heck, while watching it I really latched on to a few things and began to see the film with new eyes. There is a very human side to this movie and I found myself deeply torn between the two main characters in the film. I think if we look deep down inside that we can find parts of ourselves both good and evil and that yes, for the most part they balance each other out. Good film, glad I bought it in the end.

Peace

Eve

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
The common theme that really brought me into "The Sixth Sense" and "Unbreakable" was family. "Sense" is really about a man trying to reconnect with his distant wife, while "Unbreakable" is about how every kid thinks his dad is a superhero. Both movies involve beautiful cinematography and resounding scores from James Newton Howard. Willis is in top form in these two movies, and it really shows.

M. Night Shymalan really has me pumped for "Signs" in the summer!

Mark Palermo

Second Unit
Awesome film. I never much liked The Sixth Sense because the whole movie depended upon its gimmick. Unbreakable would be a great film even without the twist. Along with The Virgin Suicides, its the best American film of 2000.

Mark

TheoGB

Screenwriter
There is no double standard regarding the 'text' ending for me. I think the ending jarrs because of the very slow pace of the rest of the movie. It's obviously well-paced for others but to me it just seems mis-weighted - too much time spent on inconsequential stuff followed by an incredibly swift wrap-up that left you feeling a bit 'cheated' for having sat through so long. What was the point in this change of pace? Better to have had a similar feel to the ending too.

Josh_Hill

Screenwriter
Oh yeah, I cant wait for Signs. Thats really got me interested. Shymalan is really a bit like Kubrick, not only in his style (Very long shots and just the feel), but his films are either love or hate films.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Unbreakable is an amazing film and my favorite Superhero film next to X-men. I found M. Night's Superhero orgin story a breath of fresh air. M. Night also really knows how to get a lot out of Bruce Willis. I felt that both Unbreakable and The Sixth Sense are his two best films, acting wise. I like both films a lot but I feel Unbreakable is the superior of the two films.

I loved the human aspect of the film and I love the fact that a Superhero has a real life as a family man and real problems. The scene where Bruce is lifting the weights and his son keeps adding the weights is very powerful. You just get the feeling that David is finally coming to grips with who he is and what he could do. I also loved his battle, with one of the most creepiest guys I have ever seen, at the end of the film to rescue the 2 children. I also really like how M. Night used colors to show who were the people commiting crimes.

I can't say enough good things about this film. Oh, and the music score is fantastic!

-Dean-

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Bruce has never bettered 12 Monkeys IMO. Actually I'd have said he gave a better performance in DIe Hard than he did in 6th Sense/Unbreakable, but I find those to be great performances, nonetheless.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Just saw this last night for the first time and loved this film. I can see where others wouldn't like it.
1. Slow pacing - I found it to be deliberate and told the story in an eerie fashion, but I could see where others would say it was slow.
2. Great cinematography - very stylistic, and hardly anything is shot "straight on" - it's a great film to watch just to get ideas on different ways to shoot scenes.
3. "Surprise ending" - isn't as gimmicky as 6th Sense (which I liked) and not as "satisfying" but I definitely didn't see it coming until the very end.
4. Great Willis / child / wife / Jackson performances (IMO).
:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Buy this DVD now please! It's a great movie, I enjoyed it very much. If your'e not used to seeing slow movies, then this might not be the film for you. But if you did, get it! The Vista Series DVD's are just awesome "anyone seen the tombstone one!". This movie, I think, is just way underated, and maybe the sixth sense was a contributor to that. Peoples expectations where way to high. None-the-less. I can't wait for "SIGNS".

TheoGB

Screenwriter
There's plenty to enjoy in Unbreakable. Moreso I believe if you know about the pacing and the abruptness of the ending, which lessens the 'blow' that those of us who saw it blind felt.

Mike St.Louis

Supporting Actor
One of my favorite films of 2001 and probably the best super hero film ever.

I went into this movie cold and was totally blown away and surprised.

I wish the rumour about it being the first part of a trilogy were true. I would love to see another few movies with these characters. But only if it was done by M Knight.

Tim Maynard

Stunt Coordinator
I enjoyed Unbreakable, but hate Sixth Sense. I think it is something to do with Haley Joel Osment. Kid gives me the creeps.

Blu

Screenwriter
The pacing was too slow for the eventual ending. But then again I wasn't that impressed with the sixth sense either.

Jeffrey_Jones

Second Unit
Hello,

Unbreakable gets a big thumbs down from me. I wasn't expecting much and was still disappointed at every turn. I can take, and usually enjoy a slow movie with methodical character development but most of this movie was just boring. The ending was laughable and transparent to me from mid point in the movie. I don't think this movie relied upon its twist ending, neither did the Sixth Sense in my opinion.

I left the theater with a headache and have no desire to watch this movie again.

Thanks,

Jeff

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I saw unbreakable twice in the theaters and I absolutely love the film, It's in my top three movies for 2000. and i've probably watched it three or four times since getting the dvd. one thing you might notice on rewatching is th subtle use of color. David Dunn's superhero colors, Green and Yellow are often worn by his wife and kid at varying points in the movie depending on their attitude toward him. Also blue seems to signify danger is immenent. Check out the obscenely blue bridge in the background just before Elijah falls down the stairs. there are other little touches, elijah's colors are purple and silver, the red and orange parts of the color scale seem to indicate evil etc. I realy wish the dvd had some feature or interview withteh cinematographer, but alas, no :frowning:.

Rob T

Screenwriter
I love movies about people getting powers and stuff like that and the fact that M. Knight worked the world of comics books into it and showed them as more than just a medium for kids really got me all excited. It's a proud part of my collection. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks