What's new

Why Is The Matrix considered a reference disc? (1 Viewer)

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
A lot of the reason is that there are newer compression techniques that give a better looking picture to current transfers. However, I really like the Matrix DVD and I'm not sure that the grain isn't stylistically included. Plus given the low lighting in the film, grain is almost guaranteed.

If you want a more up-to-date reference disc, try Titan AE or Fifth Element Superbit. A great one for video is Any Given Sunday.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

David Lee

Stunt Coordinator
Dark City is a darker film, also shot in Super35, and to me looks great. According to IMDB it was also released a year earlier on dvd, single layer to boot. I can understand film grain vs. artifacts. Fight Club has intentional grain, but it's relatively artifact free. I appreciate your responses, I'm always eager to learn.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Considering that Episode II is shot around a measly 800x1440, the last thing I'd be worrying about is grain!

Not just on film, but also in years to come when even digital filmmaking and projection are in much higher resolution...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks