Why Is The Matrix considered a reference disc?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Lee, Jan 4, 2002.

1. David Lee

David Lee Stunt Coordinator

I had some extra cash and bought the Matrix/Matrix Revisited set. I just finished watching the dvd and was really unimpressed with the visual quality. The film was grainy and seemed poorly compressed. The dark scenes had a mosquito type effect. The bullet time and featurette had some clearly blocky scenes similar to video cd's. I would agree that the audio was superb, it's the visual that bothered me. Was this disc encoded at a low bitrate? To top it off I am watching this on a 20inch Proscan via S-video w/ a Sharp dvd player. Admittedly it's not that great but I get superb video from other discs such as X-Men, Fight Club, Cleopatra, Crouching Tiger, etc. Even older releases such as Dark City and Blade Runner, both dark films, look superb. Can anyone shed some light on this disc and am I the only one who feels this is an average disc (Minus the Dolby Digital track).

2. Dave H

Dave H Producer

This disc MAY have been reference quality when it first came out in 1999. New DVDs look so much better now and yes, there were too many artifacts visible on Matrix. I guess at the time it came out many didn't think of it as a problem so much.

3. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

It's very maxed out as far as special features go. They wouldn't be able to fit anything else. Too bad they didn't make it a double disc but that wasn't very popular back then.

Jeff

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    There was "supposedly" no more space even for a proper trailer on the disk, something that the revisited DVD should have corrected but it didn't.

5. Jan Andersen

Jan Andersen Extra

6. Michael Dueppen

Michael Dueppen Stunt Coordinator

I agree with what was said before.

Back then this disc was regarded as reference material. People were still not that used to the great quality and they were easily blown away. Imo this could also have to do with the look of the film itself (which is "high tech" etc).

By today's standards this disc looks ok but definitely not reference quality imo.

7. bill lopez

bill lopez Second Unit

At one time the laserdisc on Ebay was going for $100. I had seen the laserdisc and it looked like any laserdisc but I guess it was better than the dvd.

8. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

Yeah in the day it was the critical purchase - why you bought DVD.
    The worst offence visually is that you can see a bubble of effects grain around Neo's head as he attempts the building to buiilding jump after Morpheus. Freeze frame on it and you'll see a large grainy dark smudge.[​IMG]
    As for it's other features:
    No 16:9 anamorphic on the 'White Rabbit' stuff and possibly one of the dullest commentaries I own (not worth my while getting R1 just for it).
    It's not bad BY ANY MEANS, but it's not an immediate recommendation. Fight Club R1 is still the all-round best buy to impress someone, in my book.

9. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

10. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

I said 'all-round'. To me the image is but one part of a DVD - I would only buy a Superbit of a movie like The Fifth Element that it seems will never get an SE treatment.
    That aside I was drawn into DVD (as are many others) by a great movie backed by great extras.
    In this respect FC's four fantastic commentaries add to the enjoyment of the movie and the extras on the other disc are really superbly presented. Add the packaging style and I would say it's still the best single DVD I own. It's a close thing now compared to when it came out but there you go.
    BTW, I say it's good find the fight scenes disturbing. So do I and I think that's part of its strength. It also has one of the best scripts around.[​IMG]

11. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Also keep in mind that this film was shot in Super 35, so the grain your seeing may not be contributed completly to the mastering of the dvd. Most Super 35 films have fine grain, some more than others. But yes, if 'The Matrix' dvd had come out now, it would look better.

12. Jakob_S

Jakob_S Stunt Coordinator

13. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

Okay, the reviews I've heard of the German version have been very poor. Also, I understood this wasn't *that* special when it came down to it. I've heard that Luc Besson just isn't interested in doing anything for the DVDs of his movies. In that case any SE sounds a bit 'sus'.

14. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

15. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

16. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

But what about digital film? I hope we don't see grain in the upcoming Star Wars: Attack of The Clones. [​IMG]

17. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

Maybe like bands who put vinyl crackles on digital recordings for that 'retro' sound Lucas will digitally add grain to give AOTC an Old Skool feel to match it's title.[​IMG]

18. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Also, unless you see a DLP presentation, you'll be seeing Attack of the Clones transferred to film and projected. Film = grain.

M.

19. Mark Kalzer

Mark Kalzer Second Unit

But, with Attack of the Clones being shot in digital, there will be less grain present than on normal films. Why? Everytime you make a copy of film, grain is added to the picture. Over the course of the making of a movie, each shot gets copied numerous times, adding a good degree of grain to the film which is not reversible. With Attack of the clones however, all of the editing will be done digitally, and only at the end will it be printed onto film. Less film copying = less grain.

20. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

Tom G