What's new

Why go through the amp/receiver for image??? (1 Viewer)

Tario

Auditioning
I just picked up the Yamaha RX-V1600..
an upgrade from the RX-V5??..
Now my question is..I am plugging it all together now and I always wondered why would I run my component DVD cables from the DVD player into the amp,,and THEN out to the TV through the yellow TV Monitor out jack??
Is there any benefit to this?
I always plugged my DVD into the the big screen directly with Component cables..was I missing out??
thanks

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
You can't plug componet into the Yamaha and then go to the TV via the monitor out yellow jack. There should be component out jacks on the back of the Yamaha. Having said that, if you only have one component source, you don't have to go through the Yamaha, go strait to the TV for video and strait to the Yamaha with audio.

The reason some people route video through their AV receiver is they have more sources than inputs on the TV. Lets say your TV had only one componet input but you had a cable box, DVD, and XBOX360 all with componet outputs. The easiest way to make that work is to switch it through your receiver.

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve

Actually you can go in component Video and out Composite through the Yamaha 1600 amp. I don't know why anyone other than and old TV with no component video inputs would use that feature, but the 1600 does convert component to Composite out.
http://www.yamaha.ca/av/Receivers/Manuals/RXV1600.jsp
See PDF Page 26 (User Manual Page 22) for the Video conversion table.

The only input that is not converted is the HDMI downconversion. Everything else is upconverted to HDMI.

Back to the original Question the biggest reason to bring all your video sources through your amp is simply easy of use.

Not having to switch video inputs on the TV everytime you change Video sources that have different Video output signals. If you current TV has an HDMI input that is the only cable that you would need from the Receiver to the TV. No matter what you plug into the Amp (except analog audio) all the rest would be converted within the amp to the HDMI output.

Leaving you TV to use just one source. HDMI.

If your Best connection on your TV is Component Video then it's the Same Concept, instead of HDMI from the Receiver to the TV you would have 1 Component Video from the Receiver to the TV.

Biggest Problem is that if your TV is not equipped with and HDMI input then you can not run any HDMI Only source equipment as there is no downconversion within the amp to Component Video.

The one thing that the 1600 does do is strip the Audio from the HDMI to output the Audio from an HDMI source to an Optical output (for whatever). Just no Video down conversion.

Tario

Auditioning
Ok I see..
and yes ..my Yam. has Component out as well...I think two of them...But ok..I see what you mean about more than one source and needing multiple inputs on a TV that doesn't have them..
thanks a lot..

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
And a few avr's, like the H/K 7300, also offer Faroudja DCDI video processing which is supposed to improve the quality of all video sources. But I'm not sure how effective it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks