What's new

Why does crap keep breaking on me? (1 Viewer)

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
A month ago, I came home to a warm fridge. New one cost over a grand. Next, my (back-up) television sputters and dies, $240 repair bill. Today...the motor in my two-year-old vacuum cleaner burned out, shopping for a new one tomorrow.
And my mother-in-law's refrigerator, circa 1952, keeps purring along in her basement, chillin' the pop & beer 'round the clock, which she may quaff after vacuuming her home with her circa 1960 Kirby.
So...either industry has lost the ability to manufacture reliable merchandise, or they've decided it is more profitable to have us running back to them every few years for a new product.
Geez, I wonder which is the case.
furious.gif

Jon
------------------
"This one goes to eleven."
Nigel Tufnel

John Spencer

Supporting Actor
Boy, I saw the title and immediately imagined a Martin Ortiz style thread with a very short lifespan. :)
But to answer your question: I think it's quite obvious that big business is doing everything it can to insure repeat business.
------------------
...I could go on, but I need to take a shit.
-Jason Whyte on "Corky Romano"

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
Bad luck maybe? How is the electricity in your area? Is it possible that power fluctuations, spikes/surges are causing your electrical equipment do die an early death?
-Keith

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Unlucky maybe? I've had no issues with any electronics/appliances that I own.
Are you the type of person that's hard on things? Do you have power problems at your house? How come you repaired the TV, but not the fridge?
That 1952 fridge may be purring along- just realize that it consumes more power than the 3 ton AC unit on my new home. :) No, thanks.
Todd

Brad_W

Screenwriter
NickSo, I about dropped a brick in my pants after reading your "initial" reply about squeezing. Good god that was funny. :)
Speaking of which, I've got a rat head peeking. I need to go.
------------------
"People = Sh*t" - Slipknot
My Home Page:
http://www.geocities.com/masternix/DVD.html
My List O' DVDs:
Link Removed

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
Dont sqeeze so early
Nick,
Thanks for the laugh of the day (if not month). I hadn't even thought of my title in that context.
Gotta run now...have to take the Browns to the Super Bowl.
Jon
------------------
"This one goes to eleven."
Nigel Tufnel

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
Jon,
I feel your pain (No Poopy Jokes Here ) :) In the last week and a half..............
1: My Tivo wigged out on me (Customer Service Walked me through a fix)
2: My digital cable box refused to change channels. (Had to drive it to Charter to replace it)
3: The power supply died in my home PC. A true Compaq replacement was $110. It's slightly smaller than a regular ATX so it will fit in Compaq's micro-tower. I just borrowed an ATX power supply that hangs out of the case until I can get me a new case and my own power supply. Compaq, you get THE FINGA'!!!!!
...I feel that something in my car will come next!!
------------------
THIS BAG IS NOT A TOY
375 Reasons why I drive A 1991 Cavalier.
[Edited last by JasenP on November 16, 2001 at 11:53 AM]

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
It's not Planned Obsolescense people. But I do agree that many industries have lost the ability to manufacture quality, realiable products. It's because of cost cutting and an effort to manufacture faster, so they can get more out the door and make more money. There's no conspiracy at work. It's because they are using cheaper inferior parts. That's why the saying "you get what you pay for" holds true so often (not counting Bose).
------------------
Bill
biggrin.gif

mickey31.gif

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Quality of most appliances and such isn't what it used to be, but it's partially our own fault for insisting on lower and lower prices and more and more features.
I know that the prices of most common home electronics, especially ntsc direct-view televisions, has come down drastically in the last 10 years or so. In 92, a decent 27" tv cost upwards of $700-800. Today they rarely cost more than $500, and dollars aren't worth as much now as they were in 92.
My 86 model Sony 25" XBR tv cost me 1000 Dollars at a time when a Toyota Camry could be had for $12,000. A set with comparable performance can be had now for $400, while a Camry is now $21,000.
Of course, that XBR is still producing a very nice picture as my bedroom tv, and has only needed one $90 repair in it's 15 years of use.
The $400 set bought today will probably crap out in 4 or 5 years.
Dishwashers, fridges, microwaves, have not declined as much, but prices have not kept pace with inflation. MFRs have had to sacrifice something to keep prices down. If people were willing to pay for quality, they'd get it. We aren't willing to pay for quality any more, so we rarely get it.
------------------
Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks