Why do Studios not include the trailers lately???

Discussion in 'DVD' started by EnricoE, Oct 14, 2003.

1. EnricoE

EnricoE Supporting Actor

i don't understand it but it really makes me angry. studios like paramount, buena vista (disney, miramax ect.) and universal are getting really good in to freak me out. example: no trailers for scarface, the lion king, chicago, star trek 10 and so on. they putting kinda junk on it but the trailers are more and more missing. i think it'S time to start a petition to show the studios what we want.

what do you guys think about?

2. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Enrico,

The studios are aware that we all want trailers.

I think there are enough petitions out there
    and really, so many of them these days don't end
    up making any impact.

I haven't noticed any decline myself, but I'll
    take your word for it.

I have no idea why the studios are not putting
    as many trailers on a film. Could be rights issues
    with the music. Could be bandwidth issues that
    prevent them from putting more extra material on
    a disc than they are able.

3. EnricoE

EnricoE Supporting Actor

i don't think that there are space problems because most dvds have more then 100mb free space and trailer takes usually about 60 to 100mb. for musicrights are only a few known of like the domestic trailer for pearl harbor wich is much better then the international trailer that'S on every dvd of this film.

i hope that the studios come soon to clear they minds on it because most trailers are pretty good and whodoes not want to see the matrix trailer at home in 5.1 audio [​IMG] i would just love to do that, hehe. i also hope that the studios who still support the trailer section on dvd like fox home video, cthv or new line do not do the same thing as other studios do.

4. Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck Screenwriter

Bryan Tuck
    I posted a request to the studios here a few months back in the Studio and Manufacturer Feedback section, but to summarize what I said in it:

I don't know how much thought goes into this, and I may be completely wrong, so forgive me if I sound like I don't know what I'm talking about (I probably don't). But, as Enrico pointed out, space really shouldn't be that much of an issue, as most trailers are only a few minutes long. The music rights issue shouldn't be that much of a problem either, I don't think, as we are far enough into the DVD era that those rights should be negotiated as part of the deal for using the music in the first place. And in the case of Disney, they will often have a trailer for a movie on the DVD for another film that comes out about the same time as the film the trailer is advertising, yet the trailer is not on that DVD.

I guess it's nice to know that the studios know we want trailers, but if they know, then why aren't they making an effort to include them? Thanks for posting, though, Ron. We really do appreciate your input on the matter.

I guess there are bigger things, even in the world of DVD, to worry about, but it just seems like trailers are such an easy thing to include, and they've been such a standard feature on DVDs since the beginning, that it doesn't seem like it should even be an issue. Music rights should be the only thing that could hold it up, and as I said before, even that really shouldn't happen this far into the format's existence (at least for new films).

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who's noticed this. I really hope we can get through to the studios, and if we already have, I hope they start listening to us.

5. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

There's a definite decline in the last year or so and I'm sure we just don't have the reason. There's got to be a reason.

6. Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor Supporting Actor

Often, it's to do with music rights. Music used in many trailers is not original to the film in question as the score hasn't been finalised or recorded. Music from other films is often used and the Studios obtain clearance for theatrical and TV screening only. Additional fees are payable for including the music on DVD and many studios simply don't want to pay out the extra cash to include the trailers anymore. Fox, Universal and particuarly Disney have signifantly reduced the availability of trailers over the last year or so on their DVDs, although they often include trailers for other movies.

7. Antony James

Antony James Stunt Coordinator

But see, sometimes they're excluded even though there are no music clearance problems. Case in point:

You don't get the Star Trek Nemesis trailer on the DVD, only the teaser. But you can get the trailer on another Paramount DVD, Extreme Ops. So what's up with that?

8. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

Yeah, I find it a little dorky that a movie can have trailers for 7 other films, but not the actual one on the disc...

9. Adam_ME

Adam_ME Supporting Actor

Here's a headscratcher for ya. The Matrix and The Matrix Reloaded DVDs are both missing trailers for the films(and no, I don't count the DVD-Rom trailer). Yet the Worst Buy exclusive DVD that comes with Reloaded features the theatrical trailers for both movies. Explain that one to me.

10. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

It was probably part of Best Buy's exclusive deal.

11. William Waits

William Waits Stunt Coordinator

12. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler Screenwriter

Eric Huffstutler
    I too am angered over the lack of a trailer for the movie you are watching but "rights" seem to be even more puzzling. Trailers play on TV, can be downloaded off the Internet, and sometimes offered on other DVDs so why not the DVD itself? What makes their rights any different?

13. Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas Screenwriter

14. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    I have never seen the DRAGONSLAYER trailer and was hoping it would be included on the DVD, but for less than ten bucks (from Deep Discount), I guess I can't bitch.

15. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

Maybe because the general population doesn't care about them.

16. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

Yes, but I don't understand how the MUSIC rights can be cleared for a trailer on a different DVD, but not the DVD of the film itself... they've got to be paying for the music no matter what...

17. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer