What's new

Why do security lables make it harder to steal a DVD? (1 Viewer)

Jason Watson

Stunt Coordinator
Because... I bought a DVD at a place that sells used videos that looked sealed. They had several other copies of this disc that at lirst glance, looked sealed. When I pulled off the celophane, I noticed that the security lables had been cleanly sliced through along the box seam. The disc was perfect as well as the box, so I think it was new.When I went back and asked, the store clerk said he buys discs like this from an individual, that buys "un-claimed" movies and music, and re-sells them to him cheap. He was very vague about this. I think, he buys them from a thief,who takes a box cutter and slits through the lables and celophane in one quick swipe and then gets rid of the security device. Or perhapse an employee that has the time to do it in a stock room and would still need to get them past store sensors.It seems like it would be so easy to do.
I quit buying DVDs from this store for a while and just recently went back in to look around. All discs were sealed (even the obviously used ones) but none had security stickers. Also, there were no newer releases available. I wonder if his thief got busted or could his, possibly ligitimate source, have just dried up? What do you guys think?
Jason

Mitty

Supporting Actor
Well, at least the thieves have to do a little work to steal 'em. That's the idea. It also makes stealing large volumes very difficult. If you have to go through each disc, slice it & remove the sticker inside, it requires an effort far greater than simply removing the outside sticker as in the old days. And the extra time required means extra time for your handiwork to be noticed by the staff.
However, it's really no substitute for an observant (or simply present) staff. With the skeletal staffing levels at a lot of retail places, it's no wonder they lose so much to theft.
Of course, you're right. It's not a cure for theft, but a more strict deterrent, and I'd bet it makes some difference statistically. I do have to wonder if the added security justifies the extraordinary inconvenience most of us honest consumers have felt at the hands of the enclosed security tag, from having them set off alarms repeatedly in stores, to having to peel your DVDs like an orange to open them.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
The real problem is that most stores forbid non-security employees from doing ANYTHING to stop them. The SECURITY guy needs to see them stuffing DVDs down their pants, NOT the floor-monkey.
Jeff Kleist

Joe McKeown

Stunt Coordinator
It is like "The Club" It won't stop any serious thieves, but it stopps MOST of them.
I would imagine the overwhelming majority of DVD thieves are kids rather than some professional like the scenereo mentioned.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
In my retail experience, kids steal CDs, adults steal movies
We had one guy who we called the "VHS Vacuum". Literally the security guy was standing _2FT_ from him, and Vaughn is GOOD! The guy was moving down the racks and only after he left did Vaughn finally find 4 shrinkwraps stuffed in a CD aisle. This guy was AMAZING. His partner, the "DVD Dustbuster" was almost as good, but we nailed him and the VHS Vacuum never returned
frown.gif

Jeff Kleist

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Stealing CDs and DVDs is a junkie thang. My bud who works in a used media store sez the junkies are in with the new DVD releases by 1 p.m., at the latest, every tuesday. These are professional thieves. They steal alot of stuff when ever they aren't in jail. There are kids and folks who steal for the thrill, more or less. But, hard-core junkie thieves thrive on this easy cash source. The need for dope can, apparently, motivate minds awfully well. You can't stop these folks without market guards! Security devices aren't aptly named, me thinks. Best wishes!
------------------
Rachael, the big disc cat! "...Mandrake, have you ever seen a commie drink water..."
AFI Film Challenge, hey I've only got 1 to go!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks