What's new

Who has more releases. BD or HD-DVD. The tide may be shifting (1 Viewer)

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
In my opinion CES is going to be very big for HD-DVD if one of two things happens:

1) new high end hardware support (Denon, Onkyo, whoever). They already have the Wal-mart market with RCA so another "low end" supplier I don't think will help in grabbing more early adapters.

2) another studio announces HD-DVD support or drops BD support.

I'm very anxiously waiting to see what happens at the beginning of the year. Should make for some very good threads! :)

AaronSCH

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron Schneiderman
Chris, so far, the holidays are looking bright for HD DVD. The Super Walmart near me cleared out most of their HD DVD titles except for a rather large stack of "Tomb Raider" and one copy of "The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift" sitting unclaimed. I helped the cause by buying the last copies of "Ant Bully," and "You, Me and Dupree," and I am not really sure why I did it. The happy news came from the electronics department manager and she said they are moving many more HD DVD titles vs. Blu-ray which really surprised me. The same stack of X-Men titles that were there on PS3 day are still sitting waiting for a home. Unfortunately, they are not planning on adding more space for high definition for the time being. I think everyone should be thanking Microsoft for being very coy about the HD DVD add-on before its release. It has all but nullified any PS3 bump that the Blu-ray camp expected. Now if Toshiba has another bombshell for CES this is gonna be fun. I predict there are gonna be Chinese manufacturers announced.

If you have a Fry's Electronics somewhere nearby you owe it to yourself to check them out. They have an incredible selection of HD DVD and are stocking enough titles to get them through the holidays (unlike Best Buy). If you ask about a title that is not in stock they will order it for you...sweet. Plus their prices are pretty much on par with Amazon. Everything except Combos are $19.99 and Combos are $29.99. Just say "no" to Best Buy.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
My Walmarts still aren't carrying any HD-DVD or Blu-Ray titles. My nearby Target has a VERY small section of HD-DVDs. :frowning:

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S

Aaron, I wasn't trying to imply that they were/are having a rough time but more so what I believe would help push the format forward in the coming months.

I'm honestly not a Wal-mart shopper so I haven't stopped in to check out their selection or lack thereof. The reasons why I don't like Wal-mart would probably fill a whole other thread. :D But I have been to Fry's many many times and always stop by the check out what they have on display. Their stock is always much better, even for SD-DVD, than either the BB or CC near me. But I agree with Tim that HD-DVD (and BD) is sorely lacking at Target. Maybe 10-12 titles of each format. Glad to see the support but I really wish Target would do more.

JohnPhi

Stunt Coordinator
I was holiday shopping this past weekend and had the opposite observation at my walmart. They don't seem to be selling much of either format. I asked about the sales and the clerk said that most people come in and ask about the new disks, but when told about two formats and cost of new player, they leave

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks