Who has more releases. BD or HD-DVD. The tide may be shifting

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
From DVD Empire:
When the five releases from the BD side (Sony, Linosgate and Fox) and the one from Universal for HD, for the first time since the start of this format war, BD and HD-DVD will have the same quantity of releases and/or scheduled releases available.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
I don't see how HD-DVD can keep up the lead with less studio support. It would seem inevitable that Blu-ray would over take them at some point.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

I didn't get a oppertunity to break the numbers down by studios, but it seems that Warner is the big player here. When they decided to support BD and HD-DVD, BD got a hugh boost. I also think they have had the best title selection released to date.

Looking at the 2007 release schedule from both BD and HD-DVD does not do a lot to excite me, and I totally discount anything that Sony releases. I have seen too many bad disks from them to purchase another Sony BD release. I will stick with there SD releases for the time being.

Also, not included in the numbers is Warners Harry Potter series. 4 has been released in Europe, and I am not sure why the US release has not happened yet. Hopefully it is for a good reason.

DanR

Supporting Actor
I think it is for good reason. There was a statement from one of the WB home video execs stating that they were basically holding back some titles on BD, waiting for some of the interactivity software to be in place on BD. In the case of some catalog titles, it might be getting to the point where they are delaying some HD DVD titles so that they can release them to both formats at the same time (i.e. solutions for the BD titles are imminent). TrueHD is also an issue.

Specifically, in the case of Harry Potter, there is also the 5th movie expected next year which may be causing them to hold off a bit.

Anyway, back to the general topic...as you've noted...the Blu-Ray onslaught has begun. The tide has shifted, but BD needs to also make sure the quality is still there. For HD DVD, this is why I said in one of you other threads that HD DVD needs one of the major studio to flip (Disney or Fox) and soon, or they got a long road ahead.

Here's my read on the major studios:
HD DVD:
Universal - some great releases and good qauntity, but I'd like to see them start using TrueHD & DTS HD Master Audio.

WB - very solid, the early bobbed titles were a disappointment but they are aware of the issue now. Would like to see them up the ante on the audio over 16bit sources.

Paramount - very tepid support (same goes for BD, Paramount doesn't seem very bullish on either format to me), but good quality so far.

BD:
Sony Pictures - very hit and miss so far. They're currently holding back a bit, expect that to change now that they are getting their act together.

WB - again, very solid, but they need to get the "IME", "U-control", and True HD "porting issues" on BD worked out if they are going to just port the HD DVD versions over as they have been. They also have some catching up to do on BD releases, but they did state earlier this year that catching up would take around a year or so.

Paramount - see comments above in HD DVD section.

Fox - generally stellar quality with some good titles mixed in. Forward thinking with the DTS-HD Master Audio. It's also scary that they've only just begun releasing...I expect great things.

Buena Vista / Disney - they've been hit and miss in my opinion. I do think all fans of HD should be pissed that they did not release Cars and Pirates 2 day & date, even if just to raise awareness that HD is here on shiny little discs. That hurt HD on disc in general, but obviously was a bigger blow to BD since BV/Disney are exclusive to BD.

Regards,
Dan

AaronSCH

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron Schneiderman

Dan, with all due respect, what tide? The numbers at Amazon continue to indicate at least a 3 to one sales advantage for HD DVD titles. Titles currently available are 121 HD DVD to 88 Blu-ray titles. Announcements for Blu-ray releases have probably been orchestrated for the release of their "great gaming hope." I don't think anything has changed except for the release of the PS3 and whether that translates into movie sales is still anyone's guess.

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor
Amazon doesn't carry all the titles, whereas DVD Empire does. For instance, just try to search for the just-released Windtalkers Blu-Ray on amazon. It's not even listed.

AaronSCH

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron Schneiderman

Now there's a title I have been anxiously waiting for... lol Nevertheless... there have been a number of HD DVD titles unavailable at Amazon as well.

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor
Or, Saw 3, Nacho Libre, The Descent, Crank, All The King's Men etc...

DVD Empire is the definitive listing of titles.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

Dan,

Thanks for the response. Your estimation of the status of the studios is right on the money, and I certainly hope you are right with your comments on Sony. That would be a very good thing.

Being both an HD and BD owner, the exclusivity does not effect me much, and I would love to see some movement from the BD exclusive to the HD side. I think this competetion is valuable, keeping the studios producing better product, and the hareware manufacturers on their toes. If not for dual format war, I am not certain the studios would have cared too much about putting the best quality product out. If one side wins out this battle, at least the 'War' will have moved the quality bar up a few notches.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

Actually, the DVD empire numbers I posted are not complete. Title tend to drop on and off their list. But it the best list I know of.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
My prediction is Fox will defect to both.
Christmas sales numbers will cause an annoucement in January shortly after APPLE makes it's hardware announcements for CES.
And if FOX does, Disney will follow.
If that happens, there will be more HD-DVD hardware announced, followed by something from Microsoft, then more studios to HD-DVD.

The flipside will be if Universal flips.

Jace_A

Second Unit
Disney is far more likely to move to HD DVD than Fox. Fox has been even more zealous in its support of BD than Sony (going so far as to proclaim the format war 'over' with its release of X-Men 3). And they are obsessed, to put it mildly, with copy protection and region coding.

DanR

Supporting Actor
Forget all the incomplete listings at online stores. The fact now is that all parties that were slated to release on BD are now releasing product as of Fox's titles in November. Despite HD DVDs earlier launch, a pullback on titles from Sony for BD in 2006 due to quality issues, and WB running "behind" a bit on their BD releases, BD has closed the gap, and will soon be surpassing HD DVD in number of titles. We can certainly debate title quality, but that is a subjective matter and would serve no purpose in this thread.

If you really have to ask the question of "what tide" without looking at the trends...and based on your signature...I am sure there is nothing more that I can say to convince you.

But I will say this, HD DVD had a great head start. However, the format needs more support in 2007, either from CE manufacturers or the studios, or preferably both. If they are not in a position of player and content strength as this proceeds into 2008 when the masses will hopefully start to notice HD on disc, then it's going to be an uphill battle at best for HD DVD.

Regards,
Dan

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

Hardware manufactures will come if the trend stays what it is. The real telling will start at the end of the year when the final numbers for HD and BD hardware hit the newslines.

I am not certain where this is going to go, but the abject failure of Sony in producing PS3's in the numbers they had promised the supporters is bound to shake them up a bit. Add the successful Add-on launch, and currently hugh sales numbers MS is seeing on there 360 console, a month from now every thing could look quite a bit differently.

Will this add to additional support for HD-DVD? Who knows, but it certainly is not bad for the format.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Greatest risk for BD isn't even the possibility of studios like Disney starting to release on HD DVD, but of Warner and/or Paramount deciding to stop releasing on BD.

I honestly don't think they are considering that decision now, but if sales of Blu-ray DVDs would indeed appear to be disappointing, they already have the other channel open and could easily reconsider their current policy.

At the moment Warner and Paramount are almost single-handedly keeping BD upright (with Fox warming up convincingly). A possible loss of support from those two giants could be too much for the format therefore.

Cees

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Cees,
Good point. We should also consider that Warner is not neutral in this format war. It's well known that their parent company has told them to release BR titles while the home video division didn't want to. This assertion is certainly backed up by how they aren't offering similar titles and similar levels of extra goodies like IME and Dolby True HD) on BR.

Disney could easily flip flop next year given how much they have behind IHD which is being used by HD DVD.

Fox will stay around a while on BR but they've been known to support dead formats before(DVHS, DIVX) so this wouldn't be a surprise.

I think CES will really be most interesting because supposedly several manufacturers are going to release HD DVD players. That would certainly put down the assertion that it's only Toshiba.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

With Lite-on scheduled to be another supplier for the MS HD-DVD add-on, it would seem likely that they will also have a stand alone player of their on. While Pioneer and Toshiba may be better suited for the highend user, Lite-on would be the perfect low price alternative for the Wal-Mart shopper. Grant that this is all speculation, but it does seem a reasonable possibility.

Forum Sponsors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashwagandhaplus