What's new

Who Framed Roger Rabbit Vista Series? When? (1 Viewer)

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
There's a scene near the beginning where Baby Herman sticks his hand up a woman's skirt. This was censored in the current DVD. I'm not sure about any other changes.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
Also when Jessica Rabbit gets thrown from the talking taxicab, we used to get a (very brief) "Sharon Stone Basic Instinct interrogation room" shot. That was edited out too.

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit
Also when Jessica Rabbit gets thrown from the talking taxicab, we used to get a (very brief) "Sharon Stone Basic Instinct interrogation room" shot. That was edited out too.
Why would anybody even want that? Nobody intended for that to be there; it's only there because of some perverted animator.

James L White

Supporting Actor
Also, it IS an important matter that this movie is released 100% uncensored. Robert Zemeckis obviously didn't approve the censorship, so it has be uncut. Whenever an SE is released, Zemeckis is probably going to have a big part in it (like his most of his other movies on DVD) and will make sure it looks the best it can..complete with Baby Herman's lewd behavior
too bad Bobby Z didn't direct SW and Indiana Jones then we could count on the original versions on DVD

Eric Walsh

Stunt Coordinator
Brenton,
If you are being serious then the shot they are referring to is of um...."the crotch" of Jessica Rabbit. Which I have heard rumors of but never witnessed myself. But I think I can live without cartoon nudity. ;)
-Eric

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit
It was actually a dirty joke done by one of the animators on the film. From "The Disney Films" by Leonard Maltin:

"A freelance animator claimed that he had indeed drawn those frames, in pencil, but ink and paint had filled them in so as to obscure his little joke."

However, they colored in the area the same color as her legs, so it STILL looks a bit like nudity! So, do you think altering the scene to the original intent of the filmmakers would be right, or would it be wrong? (Unlike Star Wars, it may just be okay for it to be altered, since it was a dirty joke snuck behind everyone's back.)

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
The thing is, you can't even see the Jessica thing unless you pause at exactly the right frame. I have no problem with it not being there. The Baby Herman thing, on the other hand...

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
The Baby Herman thing, on the other hand...
The Baby Herman thing is perfectly appropriate and consistent with his character in this PG rated movie.
This is not Pinocchio, and to retroactively try to make the movie into something it is not is as insipid as the constant tampering by certain Sci-Fi directors that shall not be named.

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit
The only reason these edits were done is because this film has always been mistakenly believed to be a "Disney movie" just because it has cartoon characters in it. Stupid idea, if you ask me.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Well, it kinda is a Disney movie, although not directly. And the fact that there's a Roger Rabbit attraction at Disneyland doesn't really help.

And by the way, does anyone know how they got Warner characters into the film? Considering all of the legal hassles that could occur. IMDb does list Warner as one of the UK distibutors, so that may have something to do with it.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
from today's dvdfile update 16/09/02

Who shelved Roger Rabbit? - 12:08am

As Who Framed Roger Rabbit? fans are painfully aware, after news surfaced late last year that Disney was finally beginning work on a long-in-coming Vista Series special edition of the Robert Zemeckis blockbuster, the anticipation began...and so did the wait. Months later, and with still no such release in sight, what's up with this forever in-development, highly sought-after release?

Sources say that after much jockey for the job among the leading industry production outfits, the project fell into "development hell," or at least until now. According Video Premieres Magazine, the set is finally back on track for a 2003 release, with Disney giving the job to longtime Spielberg producer Laurent Bouzereau. Video Premieres also reports that B1 Media will be handling the extensive menu and authoring chores, and the set is still slated to receive the Vista Series two-disc treatment. Stay tuned!

great news indeed

StephenA

Screenwriter
I really hope this goes through so I don't have to buy the current release. I love this movie, and remember the both times I saw it in the theater way back when.

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
I can't tell you how many times I've seen this movie, but I will tell you it was all in 1.33:1. I don't recall seeing it in theaters. I can't wait for the DVD.

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
And by the way, does anyone know how they got Warner characters into the film? Considering all of the legal hassles that could occur.
Steven Spielberg was brought on board the project specifically for this reason, which is why Amblin owns 50% of the franchise. Spielberg used his connections to get the other studios to license out their characters for $5,000 each, but Warners insisted that Bugs Bunny could only appear in a scene directly alongside Mickey Mouse and that Mickey couldn't have more lines of dialogue than Bugs. A similar arrangement had to made regarding Daffy and Donald.
Here's the column by Jim Hill I cribbed most of this info from. It also discusses why the sequel was never made.

Tom Rags

Supporting Actor
Wow-
Just finished Jean's link about the development hell of both Roger Rabbit and the potential sequal. I highly recommend that people read it....what a mess!
What a shame that the parties involved couldn't make this thing work. Roger Rabbit definately ranks as one of my all-time favorite and clever little comedies.
However, let's get that DVD out ASAP! ;)

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Thanks for answering my question! And great news on the DVD!

Brenton

Screenwriter
If somehow a sequel does eventually get produced, I hope they don't call it "Who Discovered Roger Rabbit". The whole "Fill-In-The-Blank Sequel Title" is stupid, as proved by Honey, I Shrunk the Kids, Honey, I Blew Up the Kid, and Honey, We Shrunk Ourselves. They should, however, stick with it being some kind of statement that has "Roger Rabbit" in the title.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks