What's new

White Sox "Fan" Attacks Umpire (1 Viewer)

DaveBB

Supporting Actor
The stupidity continues on the south side of Chicago as another fan rushes the field and attacks someone.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2003/0416/1539745.html

I think the first thing that needs to occur is that all the ushers on the lowest level of baseball stadiums needs to be cops (off duty), licensed security guards or at least big strong men with some training. Keep the cute high school girls and retired people on the upper levels as ushers.

Next; the White Sox organization and fans need to get the message. No beer sales at all for the rest of the season and/or the All-Star game pulled from them are good options.

Finally; run onto the field for any reason as a fan: $10,000 fine.

Hunter P

Screenwriter
They should show how beat up the guy is. That might deter them. They showed the guy from last year on ESPN last night and he had a bloody bandage around his head. The latest guy must have gotten beat up pretty good too. I saw a few punches thrown. Plus, more than one player jumped on the guy with his cleats. That's gotta leave a mark.

I think some of these guys think that they're just going to get wrestled to the ground at worst. The media should show how badly they're gonna get their ass kicked.

Overall, I agree with everyone else: automatic fine and jailtime. They should also post signs everywhere.

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
That idiot last night got pummelled! I thought that was funny as hell. :D They definitely need to do something about the lower level security. I think that the team should be fined a large amount of money every time a fan is allowed to get on the field. If it's huring their pocketbooks maybe they'll do something to prevent it.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
The Chicago Sun-Times described the attacker as a 24-year-old Bolingbrook, Ill., man who attended the game with a group of five friends and relatives, including Kelly Sherwood, his 20-year-old fiancee. According to Sherwood, as the group entered the park the suspect separated from them. They lost track of him until they saw him on the field, the newspaper reported.
I think Kelly would be wise to re-think her upcoming marriage. Unless moronic a-holes are her type. :D

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
That was the guy from last night that was beat up. Last year the two didn't look to bad. So many Royals rushed them so fast it was too congested and no one could get any good swings in.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
What the White Sox need to do is get some of the Cubs' security people. I was in the bleachers in Wrigley in 1987 when a nearby fan got a bit unruly (didn't run onto the field though). The security gorillas grabbed him, literally pummeled him unconscious and then dragged him away, feet first, as his head bounced on the steps. Shocking, but the crowd was well behaved after that, let me tell you. :emoji_thumbsup:

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
I'm not into baseball at all so I never pay attention to what's going on, but I moved to Chicago from Kansas City so the story caught my attention.

The most depressing thing about the whole thing is learning, yeah, just now learning, that Comiskey Park is now "U.S. Cellular Field!" :angry:

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I think that the team should be fined a large amount of money every time a fan is allowed to get on the field. If it's huring their pocketbooks maybe they'll do something to prevent it.
Does the team have responsibility for security or does US Cellular (gag)?

What is it about baseball games and fans running on the field? You hardly never see a fan run out on the court during a basketball game and the fans are much closer in those areas. Its not the beer either, if the fan doesn't buy it at the park they'll bring it and drink it before the game in the parking lot or sneak it in.

The fines and punishments definitely need to be bigger for these idiots though.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I can't believe this woman's fiance left her as they entered the park, and she apparently just took her seat and sat there until the game was nearly over without thinking twice about it. That's at least 2 hours when she didn't know where he was?

And it was obviously pre-meditated, so I'd hope there's extra punishment involved.

Given the current world environment, I'd think the security people would have guns and the authority to use them. I bet people would stay in the stands then.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
What is it about baseball games and fans running on the field? You hardly never see a fan run out on the court during a basketball game and the fans are much closer in those areas.
Part of it might be that front-row seats at baseball games are notably cheaper than at basketball and football games.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
That guy last night was taken down in 2 seconds. That ump was a marine and had him on the ground in no time.

That was the 3rd fan of the night to run on the field. The allstar game is there this year. They will need to do something or like "Baseball Tonight" said, eventually a Monica Selles is going to happen on the field.

David-S

Second Unit
From sportscenter this morning, it was actually the 4th "fan interruption" of the game...

I don't get the "thrill", since TV doesn't even show them anymore (I guess unless you get beat up)

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
How do you keep lowlifes from running on the field?

Sharpshooters on the grandstand roof.

And I'm only half-joking...

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
I think this guy was a complete moron and deserved to get his ass kicked and hopefully he will serve a little jail time. However, I think the ump contributed a bit by engaging in some arguments with the fans throughout the game (according to some reports).

Again, I do not condone the fan's behavior and would like to see him prosecuted to the fullest; but perhaps the umps (and the base coaches) should completely ignore the drunken idiots and not interact with them, if indeed that's what was happening.

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
Again, I do not condone the fan's behavior and would like to see him prosecuted to the fullest; but perhaps the umps (and the base coaches) should completely ignore the drunken idiots and not interact with them, if indeed that's what was happening.
If it is, that's pretty funny -- guy verbally attacks ump, ump responds in kind, fan becomes so angry that the ump had the gall to insult him back that he rushes onto the field.

His mother should have taught him that important lesson about not dishing it out if you are unwilling or unable to take it. :D

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I was trying to think of what kind of verbal exchange could trigger enough hatred that, when combined with a high alcohol level, could result in someone losing their mind and attacking someone on the field. I suppose if it got to the point where the ump said, "Your wife/girlfriend is an ugly skank" (which obviously didn't happen in this case, as the lunatic's girlfriend didn't even know where he was), they could be construed as fighting words.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I think it's funny. If you are actually stupid enough to jump on the field, get your ass kicked, and go to jail because of what the ump says, then I say go for it morons!

We need to weed out these weaker minds.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks