White Sox "Fan" Attacks Umpire

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by DaveBB, Apr 16, 2003.

1. DaveBB

DaveBB Supporting Actor

The stupidity continues on the south side of Chicago as another fan rushes the field and attacks someone.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2003/0416/1539745.html

I think the first thing that needs to occur is that all the ushers on the lowest level of baseball stadiums needs to be cops (off duty), licensed security guards or at least big strong men with some training. Keep the cute high school girls and retired people on the upper levels as ushers.

Next; the White Sox organization and fans need to get the message. No beer sales at all for the rest of the season and/or the All-Star game pulled from them are good options.

Finally; run onto the field for any reason as a fan: $10,000 fine.

2. Hunter P

Hunter P Screenwriter

They should show how beat up the guy is. That might deter them. They showed the guy from last year on ESPN last night and he had a bloody bandage around his head. The latest guy must have gotten beat up pretty good too. I saw a few punches thrown. Plus, more than one player jumped on the guy with his cleats. That's gotta leave a mark.

I think some of these guys think that they're just going to get wrestled to the ground at worst. The media should show how badly they're gonna get their ass kicked.

Overall, I agree with everyone else: automatic fine and jailtime. They should also post signs everywhere.

3. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

That idiot last night got pummelled! I thought that was funny as hell. [​IMG] They definitely need to do something about the lower level security. I think that the team should be fined a large amount of money every time a fan is allowed to get on the field. If it's huring their pocketbooks maybe they'll do something to prevent it.

4. BrettB

BrettB Producer

5. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

That was the guy from last night that was beat up. Last year the two didn't look to bad. So many Royals rushed them so fast it was too congested and no one could get any good swings in.

6. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

What the White Sox need to do is get some of the Cubs' security people. I was in the bleachers in Wrigley in 1987 when a nearby fan got a bit unruly (didn't run onto the field though). The security gorillas grabbed him, literally pummeled him unconscious and then dragged him away, feet first, as his head bounced on the steps. Shocking, but the crowd was well behaved after that, let me tell you. [​IMG]

7. Vickie_M

Vickie_M Producer

I'm not into baseball at all so I never pay attention to what's going on, but I moved to Chicago from Kansas City so the story caught my attention.

The most depressing thing about the whole thing is learning, yeah, just now learning, that Comiskey Park is now "U.S. Cellular Field!" [​IMG]

8. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

9. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I can't believe this woman's fiance left her as they entered the park, and she apparently just took her seat and sat there until the game was nearly over without thinking twice about it. That's at least 2 hours when she didn't know where he was?

And it was obviously pre-meditated, so I'd hope there's extra punishment involved.

Given the current world environment, I'd think the security people would have guns and the authority to use them. I bet people would stay in the stands then.

10. CaseyLS

CaseyLS Second Unit

Maybe the fans are protesting the name change.

Stupid corporations.

11. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

12. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

That guy last night was taken down in 2 seconds. That ump was a marine and had him on the ground in no time.

That was the 3rd fan of the night to run on the field. The allstar game is there this year. They will need to do something or like "Baseball Tonight" said, eventually a Monica Selles is going to happen on the field.

13. David-S

David-S Second Unit

From sportscenter this morning, it was actually the 4th "fan interruption" of the game...

I don't get the "thrill", since TV doesn't even show them anymore (I guess unless you get beat up)

14. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

How do you keep lowlifes from running on the field?

Sharpshooters on the grandstand roof.

And I'm only half-joking...

15. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

16. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

I think this guy was a complete moron and deserved to get his ass kicked and hopefully he will serve a little jail time. However, I think the ump contributed a bit by engaging in some arguments with the fans throughout the game (according to some reports).

Again, I do not condone the fan's behavior and would like to see him prosecuted to the fullest; but perhaps the umps (and the base coaches) should completely ignore the drunken idiots and not interact with them, if indeed that's what was happening.

17. CaseyLS

CaseyLS Second Unit

sarcasm

18. Aaron Reynolds

Aaron Reynolds Screenwriter

Aaron Reynolds

19. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

Yeah, I was trying to think of what kind of verbal exchange could trigger enough hatred that, when combined with a high alcohol level, could result in someone losing their mind and attacking someone on the field. I suppose if it got to the point where the ump said, "Your wife/girlfriend is an ugly skank" (which obviously didn't happen in this case, as the lunatic's girlfriend didn't even know where he was), they could be construed as fighting words.

20. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

I think it's funny. If you are actually stupid enough to jump on the field, get your ass kicked, and go to jail because of what the ump says, then I say go for it morons!

We need to weed out these weaker minds.