What's new

White Sox "Fan" Attacks Umpire (1 Viewer)

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
Well, when the players are so ready to jump off the benches and pummel each other over a bad pitch, should they really expect more civilized behavior from their fans?

Cam S

Screenwriter
I just saw the video of the attack on TV, and man, that guy sure got pummeled!!! Those guys were stepping all over him!!!

CaseyLS

Second Unit
THose were some pretty damn hard steps, especially considering they are probably wearing metal cleats

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
What would you expect from Sox fans? (Yes I’m a long-suffering fan of the team from the north side.)

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
when the players are so ready to jump off the benches and pummel each other over a bad pitch
Sometimes it's mistakes, but sometimes it's not.

Usually, when this happens, it's because the person batting has hit two homeruns off the pitcher, then the next at bat the pitcher throws one and hits him in the head. Hardly an accident.

Jerry Almeida

Second Unit
Real Name
Jerry Almeida
I think that the team should be fined a large amount of money every time a fan is allowed to get on the field. If it's huring their pocketbooks maybe they'll do something to prevent it.
I don't see how the team or stadium should be blamed over this. If you watch the video, the security guard is already running behind the creep before he gets to the ump.
There's no way they could secure the entire perimeter of the field and prevent someone from running on. Other than fences, or barbed wire. :)

Someone was quoted last night as saying that the fans will always out number security. The team/stadium can't stop it from happening, but they could be prepared to respond to it, and I think they were yesterday. At least much better than last year, when those two idiots got a few good licks in before security, and the team got there to stop them.

DaveBB

Supporting Actor
I don't see how the team or stadium should be blamed over this. If you watch the video, the security guard is already running behind the creep before he gets to the ump.

Someone was quoted last night as saying that the fans will always out number security. The team/stadium can't stop it from happening, but they could be prepared to respond to it, and I think they were yesterday. At least much better than last year, when those two idiots got a few good licks in before security, and the team got there to stop them.
So you’re basicly saying we should give up and let drunken idiots like these White Sox fans have the run of the field since security will always be outnumbered.

Most likely the security guard that got there first was either in the dugout or sitting right outside the dugout on a stool. The people really on the front line, the ushers, were probably at the top of the section by where the tunnel comes out to the field boxes. Plus most of them were probably high school kids or retired people; not really a deterent.

A few more well-trained ushers would have probably helped out a lot in stopping the problems in Chicago. A little deterence goes a long way. Plus making sure that the people that are in the lower deck field boxes belong there would also help. I know the guy that attacked Gamboa last season had a ticket for a higher section and had moved down to the field box seats; I’ll bet the idiot from Tuesday night had done the same thing.

JoshF

Supporting Actor
Fans have been running out onto the field for years. That phenomenon is nothing new. In fact, it used to be normal for thousands of fans to run onto the field after a big post-season win or for some woman with big boobs to run out and hug an outfielder.

The big difference, however, is the demeanor of the fans once they get onto the field. Attacking umpires and coaches is something new and probably a reflection of America's current state of mind, especially among poor people in south Chicago.

Jerry Almeida

Second Unit
Real Name
Jerry Almeida
So you’re basicly saying we should give up and let drunken idiots like these White Sox fans have the run of the field since security will always be outnumbered.
I'm not sure how you came up with that conclusion, but no that's not what I'm saying. I never said anything about giving up.

The point I'm trying to make is that no matter how well trained or old the ushers are, you still can't stop someone from sneaking on to the field.

You're right, I pretty sure this guy didn't have a ticket for that section. But that doesn't mean he still couldn't get down there. Well trained ushers or not. He went to the game with the intention of doing this. He said this in an interview. There was no "deterrent" that was going to stop him.

It's not that hard to slip by any usher, well trained or not, in the middle of an event. Usually they're pretty thorough at the beginning of a game, but as it goes on and more people are coming and going it gets harder.

DaveBB

Supporting Actor
I wonder how long before we start seeing wrist bands in order to get down to the field box seats at baseball?

Articles like this from the Chicago Tribune that give the idiots more fame don't help either.

Arrestee's Stories
(You'll need to register to get to the article.)

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
Top female tennis player who was stabbed in the back by a fan(atic) that ran onto the court a few years ago. She survived.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Maybe the baseball players need to do some pre-emptive striking :D. Like Eric Cantona did in his infamous attack on a spectator who yelled insults and racial slurs against his mom...

:D

/Mike

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
So far all I've seen are the same articles over, and over, no new facts whatsoever. Can some of you that say the umpire said stuff to him or that he intended all along to run on the field provide some more info?

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I blame warning labels...

It's those common sense warning labels that are keeping these people alive to run out onto the fields. (ie: Don't put this plastic bag over your head, or, Don't drink bleach)

Natural selection can't do its job with all these warning labels!

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
re: warning lables. ROFLMAO!!!!!

(baseball players shouldnt expect fans to be more civil than they are when they are so willing to rush the field and pummel the pitcher over a bad pitch)
-------------------------
Sometimes it's mistakes, but sometimes it's not.

Usually, when this happens, it's because the person batting has hit two homeruns off the pitcher, then the next at bat the pitcher throws one and hits him in the head. Hardly an accident.
-------------------------

I presume then that you say it is OK for ball players to pummel each other over poor sportsmanship. In that case nobody should be suprized when a fan exibits poor spectatorship. THis will continue to escalate until they players demonstrate the kind of behavior they expect from their fans...

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Well it is not so bad now, but for sure the third guy up should go up to the plate knowing that he is going to get a fast one, inside.

Jassen M. West

Supporting Actor
I was at a Red Sox game 2 years ago , we had been sitting in a rain delay for about 2.5 hours in 50 degree weather. In the rain they cover the infield with tarps. Well at about the second hour of sitting there a big guy about 350-400 pounds easy, pulls his jacket off, jumps on to the field and takes off running, just as he gets to the tarps he does a giant belly flop onto the tarps and slides about 10-15 feet. The funniest thing i think i had ever seen at a ball game. He got arrested on the field, he put up no fight once he did his sliding so i don't think they did anything but throw him out of the park. The crowd was cheering for him and booed the security when they arrested him. We got our entertainment that day.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

That's why there are rules and umpires. Let the umpire throw the pitcher out of the game if he's endangering the batters. It's just stupid for the players to think they need to resort to caveman behavior.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I know this would probably suck for a lot of fans, but what about fences? Or glass (like in hockey) Not many (if any) hockey fans can climb the glass and get on the ice...although, it would be pretty stupid considering the danger you'd be putting yourself in. :D

OOoooo! I know! Razor Wired Electric fences...like the ones in Jurassic Park! 10,000 volts would stop any drunkin lunatic ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks