What's new

A Few Words About While we wait for A few words about...™ La La Land (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Fascinating. Some of that article deals with the few issues I have with the film's lighting: such as the natural light in the Another Day of Sun sequence at the beginning and the "long shadows" that are cast. I also think that the Someone in the Crowd number is too dark. And several other instances where the main character's faces are too much in shadow.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Interesting. When I saw the "spotting of light" effects in LA LA LAND, I immediately thought of Morton DaCosta's work on AUNTIE MAME and THE MUSIC MAN, where he used that effect almost like an iris-in from the silent movie era.

Did you notice a strange "iris in" during the Someone in the Crowd number as the girls make their way outside and the camera pans straight up in the dusk sky to the top of a palm tree and the darkness seems to close in around the momentary "hang" on the top of the tree only to come back out as the camera pans back down to the girls?

In that instance the "iris in" effect seems to serve to frame the top of the tree. I was wondering if it might serve to mask some phone lines or something...

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
Did you notice a strange "iris in" during the Someone in the Crowd number as the girls make their way outside and the camera pans straight up in the dusk sky to the top of a palm tree and the darkness seems to close in around the momentary "hang" on the top of the tree only to come back out as the camera pans back down to the girls?

In that instance the "iris in" effect seems to serve to frame the top of the tree. I was wondering if it might serve to mask some phone lines or something...

I don't remember that particular shot, but I do remember noticing a couple of odd transitions used to make two different shots appear as one. I guess I still have BIRDMAN on the brain.

Kenneth_C

Second Unit
La La Land will be returning to IMAX screens tomorrow, February 3, for one week only (until The LEGO® Batman Movie opens).

It will be on a lot more screens, too, so if it didn't play in your vicinity the last time, you might want to check again.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
La La Land will be returning to IMAX screens tomorrow, February 3, for one week only (until The LEGO[emoji768] Batman Movie opens).

It will be on a lot more screens, too, so if it didn't play in your vicinity the last time, you might want to check again.

And I took advantage of it yesterday, 4th viewing, 2nd in IMAX. I also brought along 3 friends that had not seen the film. There are now 3 more converts. Their one of us. [emoji4]

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
There are now 3 more converts. Their one of us.
emoji4.png

The assimilation continues...

:D

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Just give it time. It only takes...time.

:D
I still don't like Titanic and it's been over two decades. I have a very strong will. La La Land will never be one of my top anythings. I don't hate it; I just don't feel the massive tidal wave of love other people have for it, and I so wanted to love it. So be it. Now as for Moonlight, that one crept up on me and it's still growing on me.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
We had an album called "This Is Broadway's Best" when I was a child. I basically drove everyone nuts playing the number from Candide over and over.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I know there's love for the film, and while I know it's fun to say it's doing very well at the box-office, it's not really doing that well. It's doing okay - everyone said Whiplash was doing really well at the box-office - it wasn't and, in fact, it lost money - this is doing better, but whether it breaks even or not time will tell. Chicago it's not, nor Into the Woods.

Not trying to stir up old arguments but just read that La La Land has surpassed both Into The Woods and Chicago at the worldwide box office. Impressive.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Not trying to stir up old arguments but just read that La La Land has surpassed both Into The Woods and Chicago at the worldwide box office. Impressive.

And yet you did - was it really necessary to quote my post? Seriously, just knock it off - I have purposely stayed out of this thread because of you. I'm glad you love the film, I"m thrilled you're obsessed by it, and if it indeed passes the box-office of those other films, great for them. Of course, you didn't quote the post where I made clear that at the time of the post you chose to quote now, the film WAS NOT doing all that well at the box-office - it was doing exactly what I said it was doing - okay. Now it's doing much better. Good. Be happy. And leave me out of it. I'll just leave it at that for now.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I hope we're done with that point of discussion as it's a useless exercise for every participant. La La Land is making money and that's it!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks