What's new

A Few Words About While we wait for A few words about...™ La La Land (1 Viewer)

babsdude

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
I'm so late to the LA LA LAND party! I finally saw it this weekend. I can't stop thinking about it, am listening to the soundtrack every day, and cannot wait for the Blu-ray.

I love musicals so much, and LA LA had me crying in the first scene! (Not because it was sad -- because it was so magical!). I cried many times during the film, because the story or song effected me, or because I was simply enchanted.

I don't know if it is this year's Best Picture for Oscar, but I'm a huge, huge fan.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I'm so late to the LA LA LAND party! I finally saw it this weekend. I can't stop thinking about it, am listening to the soundtrack every day, and cannot wait for the Blu-ray.

I love musicals so much, and LA LA had me crying in the first scene! (Not because it was sad -- because it was so magical!). I cried many times during the film, because the story or song effected me, or because I was simply enchanted.

I don't know if it is this year's Best Picture for Oscar, but I'm a huge, huge fan.

Film is just "stuff." Either data or a strip of nitrate, acetate or polyester, containing a strip of continuous or edited images.

It's what is embedded within that film or data, that can has the potential of creating extreme visceral reactions for most humans.

Two of the more recent, and I'm not posting the first with any political motivation, but rather as an extraordinary use of digital workflow, as is the second, which I find extraordinary.

It is this kind of art that can make people smile, laugh, cry, or in some cases fall asleep.

Same situation with LLL, and it's use of imagery and audio.

These make me smile:

and a bit of background

It's up to the filmmakers to take the stuff that with which we work, and turn it into something that can elicit that reaction.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I'll take those comments a step further.

The way... the quality with which someone's work is presented, the size of the screen, the type of audio, can either send data to unforeseen heights, or keep it on land, as a generic widget.

The most basic function of presentation, is something extremely simple. A curtain.

And then comes everything else.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Ok. Who here thinks it will NOT win BP and Director? Anyone?

I think the Academy has had some unexpected splits between those two awards in recent years, and I could see it getting one and not the other. Wouldn't want to place any money on which it would take in a split scenario.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
It would be a major, I mean MAJOR upset if it doesn't win picture and director.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
The release of La La Land has been delayed with no new release date. Target sent me an e-mail that I have to approve the delay or the order will be cancelled. It says "New release date: 09/09/2099." Obviously a place holder. Unless only the Target exclusive version, which I ordered is the only version delayed. Amazon no longer shows a release date but you can still order. The link in the e-mail I received didn't work but I was able to go to my account and check my order to approve the delay.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The release of La La Land has been delayed with no new release date. Target sent me an e-mail that I have to approve the delay or the order will be cancelled. It says "New release date: 09/09/2099." Obviously a place holder. Unless only the Target exclusive version, which I ordered is the only version delayed. Amazon no longer shows a release date but you can still order. The link in the e-mail I received didn't work but I was able to go to my account and ccheck my order to approve the delay.
I never knew it had an official release date. I preordered the 4K/UHD disc from Target during last week's "buy 2, get 1 free" sale and it had no release date attached to it. Furthermore, no email from Target. Since, it will be in movie theaters for a while if it wins a bunch of Oscars so I wouldn't expect a release date for another two months or so.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don't feel the tone of the film as a whole is depressing. But Casey Affleck's character is depressing. The character he portrays is sort of a halfwit and some people find it difficult to identify with halfwits.

BTW, there's a difference between someone that has a learning disability and someone that simply chooses to do foolish things or act in a stupid manner. As portrayed, Affleck's character is the latter and it was really off-putting.

Mark
Having seen the film, his character is not a hafwit nor do I agree with your assessment about him choosing to do foolish things or act in a stupid manner. He's a character that made a tragic mistake and is having major issues dealing with the consequences of that tragic mistake. I found his character and those of the other film characters very real and even more so than the characters portrayed in La La Land. That's my opinion, others can disagree with that opinion. No problem as it goes to the subjective interpretation of film appreciation.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
So, who thinks 'La La Land' will clean up tomorrow night?

hands-raised-crop.jpg

;)

Mark

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I think it will NOT clean up but will win a good amount including picture director and actress.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks