What's new

Which Single Movie Of Your Collection Gets The Most Long Term Replay ? (1 Viewer)

garyrc

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
gary
Thank you Thomas. I certainly understand how that one can leave an indelible impression. EDIT: It's like the Hitchcock movie "The Man Who Knew Too Much" with Doris Day & Jimmy Stewart from 1956. Not sure why I am so enthralled with that movie but it certainly smacked me upside the head. (Jimmy's heavy eye makeup notwithstanding. 😀
[Bolding above is mine]

Well, the timpani are enthralling. I used to play them in high school, and experiencing them at the beginning of the film, and, of course, in the climactic, suspenseful Albert Hall sequence are marvelous. What Hitch does to build suspense around when the cymbal crash (I played them, too) will come is masterful. While the color on the DVD is differentially faded, the sound is excellent, at least through a good sound system. Hitch's red = danger (curtains) still works. Bernard Herrmann conducting, comes over well. The orchestra gave him an award inscribed, "The Man Who Knows So Much," and he was. And he worked hard.
1685398409708.png

As to James Stewart's eye makeup. I was on the location in Sausalito for the shooting of Dear Brigitte [Erasmus with Freckles], and, now that you mention it, Stewart seemed to have more make-up than the others, even Ed Wynn, especially around the eyes. Why, I don't know, but then again, I never knew too much.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
[Bolding above is mine]

Well, the timpani are enthralling. I used to play them in high school, and experiencing them at the beginning of the film, and, of course, in the climactic, suspenseful Albert Hall sequence are marvelous. What Hitch does to build suspense around when the cymbal crash (I played them, too) will come is masterful. While the color on the DVD is differentially faded, the sound is excellent, at least through a good sound system. Hitch's red = danger (curtains) still works. Bernard Herrmann conducting, comes over well. The orchestra gave him an award inscribed, "The Man Who Knows So Much," and he was. And he worked hard. View attachment 185405

As to James Stewart's eye makeup. I was on the location in Sausalito for the shooting of Dear Brigitte [Erasmus with Freckles], and, now that you mention it, Stewart seemed to have more make-up than the others, even Ed Wynn, especially around the eyes. Why, I don't know, but then again, I never knew too much.
an old make up artists trick - slightly enhance eyebrows and a thin line under the eyelashes. you still see it - subtly - in current shows on certain male actors. Under the eyes is where people show their age - bags, dark circles etc. It's why concealer is a always a best seller. It's also why many older celebs wear sunglasses. Jack Nicholson with sunglasses looks ten or more years younger than Jack without sunglasses.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
My favourite film, bar none, is A Man For All Seasons.

However, I try not to overplay it as it can reduce me to a puddle, and I don’t want to be reduced to a puddle too often. Nor do I want to risk overexposure to it to stop reducing me to a puddle. (That’s three ‘puddles’ - make that four - in one paragraph. A new HTF record?)

My Cousin Vinny.

Great choice. There's nothing like snappy, witty dialog with actors who can put it over as well as they do here.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
If the Blu-ray [of The Man Who Knew Too Much] were better quality, I'd probably go to it more often than I do.

Based on the amazing transformations of the first nine Universal Hitchcock titles on 4K, I'd say you have a very pleasant surprise awaiting you on the last five as well.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
My most-watched Blu-ray is also my favorite film throughout my life, BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI. I was seven when I first saw it, and was enthralled. As with another lengthy film from the previous year, AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS, I was not the least bit restless. Loved every minute of both, but KWAI just has the kind of parallel plotting and witty dialog -- to say nothing of incredibly good performances and almost unbearable suspense in the final twenty minutes -- that appealed to me even then and still does. Plus, I love jungle movies.

If I had a complaint, it would be that I think the film deserved a better music score. I like Malcolm Arnold well enough, but his music for my favorite film just doesn't hold up the way, say, Victor Young's did for AROUND THE WORLD or Alex North's for SPARTACUS. Simply not memorable.

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
My most-watched Blu-ray is also my favorite film throughout my life, BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI. I was seven when I first saw it, and was enthralled. As with another lengthy film from the previous year, AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS, I was not the least bit restless. Loved every minute of both, but KWAI just has the kind of parallel plotting and witty dialog -- to say nothing of incredibly good performances and almost unbearable suspense in the final twenty minutes -- that appealed to me even then and still does. Plus, I love jungle movies.

If I had a complaint, it would be that I think the film deserved a better music score. I like Malcolm Arnold well enough, but his music for my favorite film just doesn't hold up the way, say, Victor Young's did for AROUND THE WORLD or Alex North's for SPARTACUS. Simply not memorable.
The irony here being of course that Arnold did win the Best Original Score Oscar, even though the primary memorable theme was the Colonel Bogey March which he did not write (listed composer was Kenneth J. Alford, a pseudonym for Lt. Frederick J. Ricketts, 1881-1945). Arnold’s underscore is certainly effective enough in context, but to my mind clearly the Oscar should have gone to Johnny Green for his wonderful, evocative score of Raintree County.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks