What's new

Which Single Movie Of Your Collection Gets The Most Long Term Replay ? (1 Viewer)

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I saw your profile pic - Edmonton Elks and then Twelve Angry Men. Is there a connection?
From a Calgary Stampeder's fan in Calgary.
By the way, I won't criticize too much, the Flames are not doing too great this year.
Live seeing a fellow Albertan! Well… the Elks haven’t won at home in a couple years… so I guess it’s reversed! Lol!

Henry Fonda as the QB, John Fielder the Waterboy! 🤣

Waldo Lydecker

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David N. Heathman
I’ve probably played “Cabaret” most often through the years. Not only is it a marvelously crafted film with an unforgettable “star making” performance by Liza, but friends are amazed with the “musical” that trounced “The Godfather” winning (8) oscars!!!

garyrc

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
gary
With more than 3,000 movies in my collection, there's a few long term replay candidates of my own. However, if going by the "just one movie" rule, there's only one title that qualifies: Fantasia (1940). That's been a staple of my childhood and it's still a go-to for when I'm feeling down or just want to unwind.
Yes! I first saw Fantasia (1940) at the Tower theater at in Oakland at 4 years old, and it made me into a Classical, Romantic Period, and Modern (sort of; the Stravinsky) orchestral music fan. I've seen it at every release since (except for the needlessly mono version released c. 1970). After that, we had it on VHS HiFi, and now on Blu-ray.

My old audio professor watched them set it up in Fantasound in 1940. Two of our impossibly old faculty saw it in Fantasound in 1940. They both used the same word to describe the experience: "Hypnotic." [See Scientific American January 1941 for the article by Peck, What Makes Fantasia Click. It's online, buried in a reproduction of that issue of the magazine.]

Last edited:

Carrie Beth

Agent
Real Name
Carrie
I can give you my personal take on that : My favourite movies aren't comfort food stuff necessarily - inspiring "most long term replays". Most of them move me to an emotional OR thought provoking response. I can fully understand how that kind of thing is foremost in someone's "comfort food" sensibility but for me, that type of movie doesn't generally make me feel "good" as it were. Please don't misunderstand me because I enjoy being brought to tears or excitement or getting my adrenaline flowing by some of my favourites. But that doesn't really qualify those movies as "go-to movies" for "most replays" in my collection. Those movies are for "selected occasions". That said - some of my favourites DO make me feel good & relax me but .....😉

The distinction being, I presume, aesthetic preferences vs. instinctive preferences? Yes, I categorize favorites along these lines as well. Happily, there is sometimes overlap.

On a similar note, I'd be curious to know whether one's most-replayed movie is the same as one's "in case of emergency" movie. Now and then, over the past many years, I've had occasion to seek out such a title, and each time have bypassed my favorite Favorite, Shall We Dance, for What's Up, Doc? (1972), needing that extra hit of gleeful insanity.

Incidentally, I replay What's Up, Doc? on good days, too.

Last edited:

garyrc

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
gary
Here are my go to movies, all reproduced in 5.1 and projected on a 130" screen. Sorry I couldn't cut it down to one; it depends on my mood.

Fantasia (1940) -- see post 105, above.

The Hours

Mulholland Drive

Ben-Hur (1959)

Around the World in 80 Days (1956)

Last Year at Marienbad
(I use the derived multichannel track)

Amistad

Amadeus

Star Trek: The Wrath of the Khan

B....

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Blair
..... but (for me) with ONE movie it's like being in love - there's no logical explanation for your choice - it just does the job. I recall a quote from a movie that (paraphrased) says - It's not how much you love someone but rather who you are when you're with them. Same with THE one movie for me.
After mentioning that quote, I just couldn't leave it alone & watched the movie again this evening. I always remembered it, after a few years passing, as one that didn't really qualify for comfort food but I've reconsidered & for those of you who are would be hopeless romantics as well, it's well worth your time. It's called "The Accidental Tourist" 1988 ( light comedy drama ). The (more accurate) quote is at the heart of the story : " It's not just how much you love someone - Maybe what matters is - Who you are when you're with them. " That pretty much sums up a movie choice for "most long term replays". 😀

Mike2001

Premium
Real Name
Mike
Yes! I first saw Fantasia (1940) at the Tower theater at in Oakland at 4 years old, and it made me into a Classical, Romantic Period, and Modern (sort of; the Stravinsky) orchestral music fan. I've seen it at every release since (except for the needlessly mono version released c. 1970). After that, we had it on VHS HiFi, and now on Blu-ray.

My old audio professor watched them set it up in Fantasound in 1940. Two of our impossibly old faculty saw it in Fantasound in 1940. They both used the same word to describe the experience: "Hypnotic." [See Scientific American January 1941 for the article by Peck, What Makes Fantasia Click. It's online, buried in a reproduction of that issue of the magazine.]
I saw an exhibition of Fantasia in Fantasound at LACMA in the ‘80’s. It was pretty remarkable. Must have knocked everyone’s socks off when it was first released.

Erik_H

Stunt Coordinator
What's Up, Doc?, followed in no particular order by:
Goodfellas
Broadcast News
Tootsie
The Big Chill
Howards End
Dangerous Liaisons
Hannah and Her Sisters
Victor/Victoria
Amadeus
Out of Africa
The Sound of Music
Some Like It Hot
Scrooge (1970)

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Here are my go to movies, all reproduced in 5.1 and projected on a 130" screen. Sorry I couldn't cut it down to one; it depends on my mood.

Fantasia (1940) -- see post 105, above.

The Hours

Mulholland Drive

Ben-Hur (1959)

Around the World in 80 Days (1956)

Last Year at Marienbad
(I use the derived multichannel track)

Amistad

Amadeus

Star Trek: The Wrath of the Khan
Last Year at Marienbad is a favourite of mine, a timeless, surreal, hypnotic film. Perhaps the compilers of the recent Sight and Sound poll mistook this for Jeanne Dielman from the Delphine Seyrig filmography!

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Probably, Dr. Strangelove. I just have never tired of that picture. It still blows me away on every watch.

Apocalypse Now is another I love and now with multiple versions of it, I feel I have to keep watching it again and again.
The scene in Strangelove in the war room when Scott’s character, in an amusing and matter of fact way, tells the President that a war with Russia is imminent is great- one of the best scenes in any film.

B....

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Blair
The scene in Strangelove in the war room when Scott’s character, in an amusing and matter of fact way, tells the President that a war with Russia is imminent is great- one of the best scenes in any film.
Peter Sellers multi role is also worth the price of admission in this movie. Another of my comforts is "Being There" (Criterion). Priceless!

KenInNY

Auditioning
Real Name
Kenneth
What a fun thread -- folks responding to films at gut level! I'm surprised to see no love for Mel Brooks's two great pictures: the original PRODUCERS and THE 12 CHAIRS ("Hope for the best, expect the worst"). And the Preston Sturges films I love most: CHRISTMAS IN JULY and THE GREAT McGINTY.

Some awfully good suggestions already suggested: NORTH BY NORTHWEST, GODFATHER I-II, and of course DR. STRANGELOVE.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
As you can probably tell from my avatar, it's Aladdin.

("Oh, there's a big surprise. That's an incredi -- I think I'm going to have a heart attack and die from that surprise.")

I literally played my original VHS copy so many times that it broke from overuse, not from carelessness. It gave out on me during the period of time when the movie was long out of print prior to the DVD release, so I had to go to eBay to buy another copy secondhand before the DVD finally came out.

I also bought it twice on DVD to keep one copy at home and one copy in my college dorm so that I would always have it in either location. This was prior to the advent of digital copies and streaming. I wouldn't go to college without it.

Last edited:

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
What a fun thread -- folks responding to films at gut level! I'm surprised to see no love for Mel Brooks's two great pictures: the original PRODUCERS and THE 12 CHAIRS ("Hope for the best, expect the worst"). And the Preston Sturges films I love most: CHRISTMAS IN JULY and THE GREAT McGINTY.

Some awfully good suggestions already suggested: NORTH BY NORTHWEST, GODFATHER I-II, and of course DR. STRANGELOVE.
Couldn’t agree with you more about the first 2 Mel Brooks films- in my opinion, his best. It kind of went a little downhill after that, and the hill got steeper after Young Frankenstein. I think Brooks won the screenplay Oscar for The Producers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks