What's new

Which receiver is best for my Klipsch setup? (1 Viewer)

troy2003

Auditioning
Real Name
troy
I am still fairly new to the home audio thing. I started out with Klipsch quintet II with a Dayton Audio sub and have upgraded to klipsch rf-82's, an rc-52II, rb-61's and rs-42's. I am currently running an Onkyo ht-sr550 receiver from the ht-sr800 HTIB, this was my starter receiver for the quintets. I just dont think it is doing the job for the speakers I have upgraded to and I want some advice on where to get a good used receiver for no more than $400 or if anyone might be selling something that is perfect to complete the setup. My current receiver is only HDMI pass through, ect., ect...here is a link to what im running my current speaker setup with.
http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=HT-SR800&class=Systems&p=f
I know its not a power issue, one thing i have learned is more power doesnt necessarily mean better sound. It seems it may be a frequency level downfall that is lacking. I have been seeing many receivers that cover a frequency range of 20Hz to 20kHz per channel; however the current receiver I am running does not show the frequency range that it covers.
Amplifier Section
Power Output -
Front L/R 110 W/Channel (8 ohms, 1 kHz, FTC)
Center 110 W (8 ohms, 1 kHz, FTC)
Surround L/R 110 W/Channel (8 ohms, 1 kHz, FTC)
Surround Back L/R 110 W/Channel (8 ohms, 1 kHz, FTC)
Dynamic Power 210 W (3 ohms, 1 ch)
190 W (4 ohms, 1 ch)
130 W (8 ohms, 1 ch)
THD (Total Harmonic Distortion) 0.9 % (Rated power)
Damping Factor 60 (Front, 1 kHz, 8 ohms)
Input Sensitivity and Impedance 200 mV/47 k-ohms (Line)
Output Level and Impedance 200 mV/470 ohms (Rec out)
Frequency Response 5 Hz–100 kHz/ +1 dB, -3 dB (Direct mode)
Tone Control ±10 dB, 50 Hz (Bass)
±10 dB, 20 kHz (Treble)
Signal-to-Noise Ratio 100 dB (Line, IHF-A)
Speaker Impedance 8 ohms–16 ohms

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Well...how much money you got? As about the only real improvement is going to be Anthem.
However you are using an AVR that appears to be a lightweight(judging by the specs being based on 1kz)...
But for sound, outside Anthem...there is HK.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Hi Troy,

What, specifically, seems missing with your current setup?

Those Klipsch are exceedingly efficient (98dB) so you are correct in thinking any problems you're experiencing are not related to power - these require very little power to play loud.

Since you updated your speakers, have you re-run the Audyssey setup utility? Calibration can have a significant effect on a system's performance.

That being said, probably the biggest area for improvement in your case is getting a receiver that will allow you to benefit from the lossless audio on Blu-rays. The improvement in audio quality going from lossy DVD audio to Dolby HD/DTS-MA was startlingly significant when I made the switch.

A budget of $400 offers lots of options from the usual suspects: Onkyo, Denon, Yamaha, Pioneer... I am partial to Onkyo, and at $400 you could get a brand new 616 from Amazon. That would likely have everything you'd need...

troy2003

Auditioning
Real Name
troy
Good info Jason and schan....so do I want to be concerned with frequency range when looking for a receiver?. This was a used receiver so unfortunately there was no room correction with it when I bought it, could this be suspect in my audio setup?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks