What's new

which quality bookshelf speakers for small theater? (1 Viewer)

CalvinClem

Auditioning
I have a room 10x15 that I am looking to add a theater to. I am considering a 5.1 system since the room can't accomodate a 7.1 system due to its size. For the fronts and surrounds I want to use bookshelf speakers. What should I consider? Was looking at the B&W 805's and monitor audio gold reference and both seemed a good choice. Any other suggestions or comments on speakers or 5.1 or 7.1 set-up?

Rick-S

Agent
What is your budget?
If you don't mind spending $1,000, and assuming you like the Klipsch sound, go listen to the new RB-75 bookshelves. I have some on order.

dan-0

Stunt Coordinator
Take a look at the NHT's as well. Their super zero's, super one's, and super two's give you a lot of bang for the buck. Plus there is a million of used ones on the 'gon' and ebay to be had for cheap.

Phil~E~Guy

Grip
Bookshelf speakers vary in driver sizes. Woofers 3.5" rarely have bass deeper than 100 hz. and need a sub-woofer. Most woofers 6.5" can get you to about 50 hz., and subwoofer is optional. Being on a budget, try to get bookself speakers with the 6.5" drivers.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Depends on your budget. If it is pretty small (below $500), I think that the Acoustic Research HC6. 5.1 system is a very fine value. In the under $1,000 range the Rocket ELT system is just simply outstanding.

If you do not care for wood and perfer black, I think that Ascend makes some very fine speakers

Let us know your budget. If you have a larger budget, I have other suggestions.

Mike_Gr

Stunt Coordinator
I suggest the Wharfedale Pacific Evolution series. Specifically, the Evo 10 bookshelf (6.5" driver).

In terms of aesthetics, they are every bit as stylish as the B&W 805's with their real wood veneer and non-boxy, tapered enclosure. Much like the 805's, they use yellow kevlar drivers and look quite striking with the grilles off.

In terms of clarity, detail, soundstage, and bass characteristics, I find the Evo's to be on par with the 805's with the Evo's being a tad 'richer'. I personally prefer the Evo's over the 805's by a slight margin. That is just my opinion, but I think anybody who has heard both would agree that they are close competitors. What makes the Evo's really shine is that they can be had for far less than the 805's.

One of the local hi-fi shops here has a pair of Evo bookshelfs that are finished in piano black laquer from the factory....something Wharfedale does for around 20% of the cost of the speaker. I can't say enough about how good those piano black Evo's look....especially with the grilles off.

Anyway, if you can find a dealer near you give them an audition. If you are not familiar with Wharfedale, I think you will be pleasantly surpised.

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
I have to agree with the Klipsch line, also they have many bookshelves to choose from so it can usually accomodate your price range. ;)

David Ruggiero

Stunt Coordinator
I like the JBL studio series bookshelf speakers. I have 4 S-38's and an S-center and they sound great to me, and they are definitely within your budget.

george king

Supporting Actor
Try a RADMicro system from Brian at Link Removed Full 5.1 system of $750 custom built for you. Brian does great work.

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
Here is a small setup and some prices:

Klipsch RB-25 Bookshelf Fronts ($300)
Klipsch RC-25 Center Channel ($200)
Klipsch RS-25 Surrounds ($300)
Klipsch RW-8 Subwoofer ($260)

Right there is a total of $1060 and is very impressive for the price also. The subwoofer isn't the strongest but it isn't bad either. Everything there should be more than enough than you will need in your room and the subwoofer should pack a punch.

All the prices were found from www.acousticsounddesign.com and you can also freely change the system as you like but for your room that should be perfect and I believe for the price the performance is awesome.

Also, do you have a reciever yet for your system or would you be looking at one as well?

Trey Jones

Stunt Coordinator
It has not been mentioned, so how about the paradigm cinema 90's and ADP's. Those could wall mount and give you some of your floor space back. Also you would be able to have the seating as far back as you want because of their size.

You would most definately need a sub like an svs box (we're staying small) or a PDR-12 or PS1000.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Look at the Paradigm Mini Monitors, CC-370, PS1000 combo. I have a similar size room setup. Works great.

Kevin

Kevinkall

Second Unit
I think that the Paradigm Atoms will give you the most bang for your buck. You can pick up a pair for around $189. I have 2 pairs and LOVE them. I haven't heard another speaker sound near as good in the same price range. You can get 2 pairs of Atoms and the CC-170(center channel) for under $600, then you should add a sub. I don't have a Paradigm sub, so I don't know how good they are...I've heard good and bad things.

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Ascend Acoustics if you like standard looking speakers. nOrh if you want something different. Sub? SVS, Adire Audio, and HSU put out excellent ones.

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
Did anyone notice what speakers he mentioned? Nautilus 805's thats a $2000 a pair bookshelf. I think he has a bit more of a budget.

Nautilus 805's are great!

Kef Reference bookshelves are good too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks