What's new

Which modern current tv shows do you still buy on dvd? (1 Viewer)

seanrt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
I get where you were coming from, though. There's definitely a "Burned MoD"? but it'll be dead in 6 months!!!" feeling from a lot of people.

However, I've seen first hand evidence that Burned MoDs last well enough. I'm currently re-watching Night Court. Seasons 4-9 came from the Archives, and 4 and 5 were released before they started pressing a batch of them. My burned MoD discs are 8 years old. They play just fine.

So, I'm okay with the format. It's the 10 bucks extra I balk at, since at some point over the years, $20 was unofficially set as the baseline for new pressed sets. And with the MoDs, I'd assume there's not as many costs involved for the studios, so... what's up with the extra charge, guys?
I have all the Hanna-Barbera releases and thankfully all still play beautifully and have physically held up looking like the day they arrived and a lot of those were the early releases hitting 10 years. I have replaced them to a sturdy all-new plastic cases, they seem to give the sets a strong more archival feel.

Paintbeanie

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Peter
(Some historical context).

I've always found that when some tv shows' later seasons turn into crap, frequently it "retroactively" affects how I feel about the better earlier seasons. It is as if the crappier later seasons completely "contaminate" the show's entire run.

What really hit this home for me, were tv on bluray shows like Arrow, The Blacklist, Continuum, etc ...

I liked the first three seasons of Arrow a lot, where I was watching the then-new first-run episodes many times during the week(s) between new episodes. The season 1 and 2 blurays also had some replay value for me.

Though by the time season 4 of Arrow was around, I thought the show turned to crap. Eventually I stopped regularly watching and drifted away sometime during season 5.

Eventually I picked up the season 3 bluray. By then I wanted to watch through seasons 1-3 again, just to find out the hard way that they had very little to no rewatch value for me anymore.

Similar story happened with Continuum in season 3, where they did a clumsy time/dimension jump which was basically a mid-series reboot which turned the show to crap. Before season 3, I really liked watching the season 1 bluray at the time. Though by the time seasons 3 and 4 came and gone, I eventually picked up the season 2 bluray just to find out the hard way that seasons 1 and 2 had very little to no rewatch value for me.

Same story with The Blacklist for me, where I thought season 3 turned to shit. Subsequently I found the seasons 1 and 2 blurays difficult to watch.

I don't know if anybody else feels this same way. I have noticed this mentality is prominent for scifi/fantasy/superhero tv shows, where I seem to expect very high standards for such genre shows. Less so for generic police procedural shows, but still prominent nevertheless.
I get what you are saying but I also have used the dvd releases to just stick with the seasons/endings I like, even when those seasons end in cliffhangers. Some examples of this are Castle, Scorpion, and Body of Proof. I liked the other seasons but did not get into the last seasons so I sort of pretend the awful final seasons don’t exist. That being said there are shows that go downhill so badly that their earlier seasons are not as likeable, but for me personally I do try to just focus on the parts of the show I do like and remember what I liked about the show instead of focusing on it’s bad parts and later destruction.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I get what you are saying but I also have used the dvd releases to just stick with the seasons/endings I like, even when those seasons end in cliffhangers. Some examples of this are Castle, Scorpion, and Body of Proof. I liked the other seasons but did not get into the last seasons so I sort of pretend the awful final seasons don’t exist. That being said there are shows that go downhill so badly that their earlier seasons are not as likeable, but for me personally I do try to just focus on the parts of the show I do like and remember what I liked about the show instead of focusing on it’s bad parts and later destruction.

I've found that doing this ^ is extremely difficult or almost impossible for me in practice, particularly for scifi/fantasy genre type of stuff. No matter how hard I have tried previously, I've come to the conclusion that I'm largely wasting my time when it comes to scifi/fantasy genre stuff which turned to crap in later seasons (or films).

When it comes to non-scifi / non-fantasy type of shows, I've found that I could do this to a limited extent for stuff like generic procedurals, sitcoms, etc ... For example, such as episodic shows which were abruptly canceled with no ending like the original Knight Rider, or lousy final seasons like Airwolf (season 4 was almost like a reboot), The Mentalist (seasons 6 and 7 were "rudderless"), etc ...

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I had a little dilemma with my current CSI rewatch. I enjoy the show (the original Vegas series that is) but only owned seasons 1-9 on disc. Seasons 2-8 are DVD only but 1 and 9 are Blu-ray. They went back to DVD only for season 10 onwards. The DVDs include special features but I’ve never watched them.

(Going on a more general tangent).

In the case of non-scifi / non-fantasy shows such as generic procedurals, so far I have not been able to find a precise criteria for what would have a high rewatch value for me. I have only been able to determine this by a lot of trial and error.

The only discernable patterns I was able to figure out in my viewing patterns of procedurals, is that once a particular show goes off the air OR is no longer producing any new episodes, its rewatch value nosedives to almost zero for me.

In the case of CSI, I use to watch the daily reruns all the time on Spike and Aetv all the time back in the mid->late 2000s. Up until the Danson era (iirc season 12+), I probably watched every episode several times in reruns. Shortly after CSI went off the air, subsequently I found that I had very little to no interest anymore in watching the daily reruns.

Similar patterns also happened for other long running procedurals I use to watch over the years, such as: the original Law & Order, L&O Criminal Intent, Castle, Bones, The Mentalist, Without a Trace, Flashpoint, etc ...

Last edited:

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
NCIS, NCIS New Orleans, Blue Bloods, Bull and The Blacklist. I'd get that last in blu except Sony cheaps out and issues it stacked on one spindle. Since I then have to buy a new case at additional expense, I just avoid the expense and buy the DVD which is packed normally, one disk to a spindle.

And watching on DVD instead of blu bothers me not at all.

Last edited:

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I thought Blu rays had a protective layer that made them more durable than DVDs and hence the could be stacked without harming them.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I thought Blu rays had a protective layer that made them more durable than DVDs and hence the could be stacked without harming them.
Generally speaking, yes. They can be damaged - just takes more effort. Oddly, I've had a finger smudge render a BR unplayable (at least until I cleaned the play surface) that wouldn't have bothered a DVD at all.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Not too many modern shows in recent years but I do love (and buy) things like The Walking Dead, The Blacklist, CSI: Miami, Touch, Dead Like Me, Dollhouse, My Own Worst Enemy, Hung and Prison Break.

morasp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
My setup seems to play DVDs with very good picture quality so it doesn't bother me a bit to purchase titles on DVD. I wasn't quite sure why until recently when I bought the Sony X800 4K player as a backup in case my Samsung ever fails and was quite surprised by how bad DVDs looked with it in comparison to the Samsung. I now play DVDs with the Samsung and Blu-rays with the X800.

NCIS
When Calls The Heart
Good Witch
Chesapeake Shores
Signed Sealed and Delivered
Madam Secretary
Hawaii Five-0
God Friended Me (if it ever gets released)
Seal Team
S.W.A.T.
Scorpion (not current but recently cancelled)
MacGyver
Young Sheldon
Big Bang Theory
Last Man Standing

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
"Downton Abbey" is the only post-1970's series in my collection.

Last edited:

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I'll buy DVD if thats all that available i'm currently catcing up on the DVD's of Hawaii FIve-0 but i'm buying them used if possible

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Blah.

My flatscreen tv abruptly died last night. I'm not going to try fixing this 12 year old hunk of junk.

My initial knee jerk impulse was to buy a new tv. Though at the same time, I also noticed something odd in regard to my impulsive desire for some future dvd/bluray purchases. It turns out my impulsive desire for dvd/bluray purchases, also abruptly nosedived immediately. (I was thinking of buying several dvd and bluray titles, where suddenly I had no desire anymore to buy these titles).

I finished my weekly grocery shopping, and decided to not buy a new tv for the time being. Besides wanting to do more research on current tv models, I also wanted to see how much of my "impulse buying" desire has been affected by this abrupt recent turn of events.

So right now, I'm relegated to watching tv on a computer screen (whether from dvd/bluray discs or live tv). I suppose I could pull out an old ancient CRT tv I have in storage, and see whether it still works with a current cable box.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Blah.

My flatscreen tv abruptly died last night.

So right now, I'm relegated to watching tv on a computer screen (whether from dvd/bluray discs or live tv). I suppose I could pull out an old ancient CRT tv I have in storage, and see whether it still works with a current cable box.

More blah.

The old CRT tv doesn't work at all with a modern cable box. It only works with an old dvd player, and my old nintendo nes console. (The computer doesn't connect at all, nor any of my standalone bluray players).

I can't even get any off-the-air channels anymore, using the old analog vhf / uhf tuner.

Last edited:

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
I'm honestly trying to think of any titles I have bought recently on DVD that should have been released on BD.

I'm pretty much a non digital, non streamer, but when a couple items I had a couple seasons on BD that disappeared and suddenly had a choice of DVD or Digital HD I opted for the Digital once the price dropped to $5-6 per season. I love Criminal Minds and Bones and almost certainly would buy the series on BD, but I can't haven't even thought about the DVD and $15-25 per season for a digital 'purchase" (i.e rental) isn't on my radar

My general choices appear to be
US BD
Foreign BD
Digital HD
HD Stream
Watch on recorded TIVO on whatever channel I can record
Forget about it completely.

The last DVD TV (sort of) purchases -- I guess modern in some sense
Kim Possible S1, S2, 4Movie Box
The Weekenders S1, S2
DuckTales S1-4

The only DVD TV sets I can find of any sort in the last 5+ years are a bunch of British TV (Classic Who, Red Dwarf, Allo Allo, Are You Being Served, Fawlty Towers. Ab Fab, Upstairs Downstairs ). There is a large gap from 2009-2013 I bought none.
Of course as soon of the BD of Red Dwarf and DW came out I ended up buying those to replace/supplement the DVDs

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I haven't picked up many uk shows on dvd (or bluray).

The only one I still watch is the original House of Cards.

At one point I thought about picking up the MI5 (Spooks) series dvd sets, but never got around to it.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I love Criminal Minds and Bones and almost certainly would buy the series on BD, but I can't haven't even thought about the DVD and $15-25 per season for a digital 'purchase" (i.e rental) isn't on my radar

At this point the only reason I end up buying the Criminal Minds dvd season sets, is that the picture quality of the original CBS broadcasts were really crappy to begin with. The picture quality of the dvds are just as bad as the original first-run broadcasts.

This may sound like a really silly "rationalization" for buying the dvds, but I can live with it.

At $10-$15 (or less) per dvd season set where both the dvds and original broadcasts had really crappy picture quality, this is an acceptable tradeoff for me in lieu of an actual real bluray release.

(Same story with the original NCIS).

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
None. The last one I bought finished was Revenge
What is your luck with the Revenge dvds on your player/ television set up? On mine, whenever they show a wide angle shot or a helicopter shot of the city everything looks wavy--overviews of buildings and the marina and so on. All the stock footage looks like that to me. I noticed the same thing on the dvds for "Scandal," I don't know if it's a situation where ABC/Disney is being cheap or what's going on. I don't notice these same wavy effects on any other dvds...??

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks