What's new

Which modern current tv shows do you still buy on dvd? (1 Viewer)

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
I'll pick up the new Blu-ray release of the 2018 Lost in Space Netflix reboot...I've seen some very positive reviews on Amazon, including a review from one of our own very respected HTF members, Carabimero...his appreciation of the new series is enthusiastic...I've learned to hold his opinions in very high regard...I don't think I would have gone for it as a blind buy otherwise.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I'll pick up the new Blu-ray release of the 2018 Lost in Space Netflix reboot...

Lets hope Disney does not abruptly cancel the bluray version. (I'm guessing the bluray version was originally commissioned by the previous Fox Home Video division regime, which was possibly ousted after the Disney/Fox merger).

This is the type of scifi show I might be inclined to pick up as an impulse buy.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Where is the complete series release of The Americans on blu-ray? I've specifically waited to view the whole thing when it's out on blu. I see it's on DVD, but where is the blu?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Where is the complete series release of The Americans on blu-ray? I've specifically waited to view the whole thing when it's out on blu. I see it's on DVD, but where is the blu?
I don't think Fox is ever going to release a Blu-ray of it. The show is excellent so it's easy to recommend getting it on DVD.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
If Fox did not release a title on bluray or discontinued the bluray version (ie. The Americans, Bones, Glee, etc ....), then I strongly suspect Disney will not release it on bluray either.

For that matter, Disney even discontinued their own comic book tv shows on bluray such as Agents of SHIELD. (IIRC, only season 1 of AoS was released on dvd/bluray in america).

Ferdinand Hudson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ronnie
Recently caved in and bought season 4 of The Strain on DVD as it has, to this date, not had a BD release anywhere.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Question MOD no sale or Burned disc no sale?

Both. Though it has nothing to do with anything technical nor any actual content on such discs.

This is just a psychological "jedi mindfuck" I repeatedly say to myself, as a way of not jumping onto a particular ocd compulsive collecting treadmill. It has more to do with preserving my "sanity" and well being.

As a recent example of this, this is the primary reason why I have not purchased the 12 Monkeys scifi show on bluray, due to seasons 3 and 4 being released as bluray-mod in america. (It appears seasons 3 and 4 were never released on dvd in region1).

This is all in spite of the fact that the 12 Monkeys episodes had a high rewatch value for me during their original first-runs. I have a strong suspicion that such 12 Monkeys bluray season sets will have very little to no rewatch value for me.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
This is a previous post from another thread, which is more appropriate here.

https://www.hometheaterforum.com/co...u-ray-you-bought.168965/page-438#post-4748425

(This is the relevant text reposted with slight edits/corrections).

Over the past few years I've been following another "jedi mindfuck" to trick myself into NOT impulsively buying too many current/recent tv shows season sets. (No simple slogan for this one).

With Paramount releasing many multiple-season sets (typically 3 or 4 seasons of around 24 discs), I've been fooling myself into NOT buying current tv season sets when they are first released. Basically waiting for these 3 or 4 multi-season sets to appear or a complete series set.

The idea is to delay several years for the "hotheaded" mentality of my current impulse buying to "cool down" for particular titles. So by the time the 3 or 4 multi-season dvd sets appear at the local Walmart, the hope is that my mind is somewhat more rational about dvd (or bluray) buying decisions and less prone to impulse buying.

For example, awhile ago I purchased the seasons 9-12 dvd set of NCIS but not the seasons 1-4 set of NCIS:Los Angeles. As much as I like both shows, I suspect that NCIS: Los Angeles wouldn't have much rewatch value for me.

My basic litmus test for "rewatch value" of recent/current long running tv shows, is whether I'm willing to sit down and watch through the daily reruns. (ie. More than just playing them in the background when I'm at home).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
My basic litmus test for "rewatch value" of recent/current long running tv shows, is whether I'm willing to sit down and watch through the daily reruns. (ie. More than just playing them in the background when I'm at home).

As a recent example of this, I've been setting my dvr to record the daily reruns of various current long running network tv shows (on various basic cable channels and network tv summer reruns) such as: Criminal Minds, Hawaii Five-0 reboot, MacGyver reboot, the NCIS franchise (original, Los Angeles, New Orleans), etc ...

Out of these reruns, so far the only ones I've been watching semi-regularly is Criminal Minds and the original NCIS. Just about everything else reruns ends up piling up on the dvr, until they end up being deleted unwatched.

Basically if rerun episodes are piling up on the dvr and end up being deleted unwatched (whether by hand or the dvr needing more space and doing it automatically), it is usually a good sign that the dvd season sets will probably have no rewatch value for me.

AndrewCrossett

Second Unit
I buy each season of Supernatural as it comes out... I started watching it several seasons late and have watched the whole series on DVD. Also Game of Thrones, which I watched as it aired but have collected on DVD as well. Just the final season left to go.

I'm holding off on The Good Place in the hopes that there will be a complete series set... it will only be 52 episodes.

I have also been getting Mr. Mercedes, which airs on the Audience Network and AFAIK there is no way for non-DirecTV customers to see it apart from buying the DVDs. Have season 1 and am really hoping they don't crap out and not release the rest. (Season 2 has already aired and there is one season to go, I think.)

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
The only current show I buy is THE BLACKLIST. Spader USA favorite actor. I d buy the season 4 set that included the only season of THE BLACKLIST: REDEMPTION.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm not really buying anything new at this point, since most of the shows I watch went MOD.

I'm basically continuing shows I started when they were all released to retail, like The Goldbergs, Modern Family, Brooklyn Nine Nine, Family Guy...

I'm sure there are more, but those are the ones I remember offhand.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
These days I won't buy any show on DVD that originally aired in HD. I can't see paying premium pricing for a subpar presentation.

For me, it depends on the show.

There was no way I was going to deny myself the pleasure of rewatching Limitless just because the distributors were idiots.

(And I'm sorry, I don't trust that streaming will always, permanently be an option)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Whether dvd or bluray, nowadays my main priority in dvd/bluray purchasing decisions is whether a show has ANY rewatch value for me. I don't see any point anymore in buying dvds/blurays which I'm only going to watch once or never. Easier to just watch such shows (or movies) on a streaming service or a basic cable channel.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I'm not really buying anything new at this point, since most of the shows I watch went MOD.

I'm basically continuing shows I started when they were all released to retail, like The Goldbergs, Modern Family, Brooklyn Nine Nine, Family Guy...

I'm sure there are more, but those are the ones I remember offhand.

Unless there's a drastic change in attitude in Disney's home entertainment division, I suspect any shows owned by Disney/Fox will either die a painful death (ie. drm laden dvd-mod discs and/or abruptly discontinued) or never sees the light of day on dvd/bluray (ie. never released at all).

I also get the impression Sony and Lionsgate/AnchorBay are both heading in the same direction too, for any shows which are not on AMC or Starz.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Unless there's a drastic change in attitude in Disney's home entertainment division, I suspect any shows owned by Disney/Fox will either die a painful death (ie. drm laden dvd-mod discs and/or abruptly discontinued) or never sees the light of day on dvd/bluray (ie. never released at all).

I also get the impression Sony and Lionsgate/AnchorBay are both heading in the same direction too, for any shows which are not on AMC or Starz.

Sony... I expect S6 of The Goldbergs to make it to DVD.

I do not expect its spinoff, Schooled, to.

So, my prediction is established shows continue for now, new ones never make it.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Sony... I expect S6 of The Goldbergs to make it to DVD.

I have to wonder if Sony will end up outsourcing The Goldbergs to Mill Creek, where eventually a complete series bluray set is released. Basically similar to what happened with Community, where Mill Creek released a complete series bluray set last year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks