What's new

which is better?? a single sub based on SVS2039 OR 2 Athena p6000 subs??? (1 Viewer)

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Just an honest answer to a simple question.

Currently I run 4- Athena as-f2s(front and rear), and 2 C1s for centre channel(front and rear), and I use a sub based on the SVS 2039CS using a Adire audio DPL12 see here

But now I'm thinking of looking at 2 Athena p6000 subs HERE

I think 1 of these subs will pretty much keep up, but 2 should blow the 2039 away.

Help me out here folks.

Brent
Tough choice, but this would also free up a 2 channel THX amp for other duties.

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
I would even bet 2 PB-10's would beat on the 2 Athena's pretty good (altho a bit more $$$).

Athena is certainly not known for their subs and I have never seen anyone anywhere report they are in the same league as SVS, HSU, Velodyne, etc

brentl

Senior HTF Member
The big question is how accurate frequency response is that's quoted by Athena.

I can get the 6000's for $920 tax in(Future Shop), sell my sub for $200,sell amp for about $200.

For a hair over $500 I can do a good upgrade.

I wouldn't consider PB10s, shipped, with all the border crap we are looking at nearly $1400 for the pair .... $500 is $500

Brent

The 6000 is rated down to 21hz +-3DB

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
I highly doubt the Athean does 21hz @ -/+3db

i did not realize you were in Canada tho, the extra $$$ would get you for sure.

I would say build yourself another of what you have, maybe beef up the amp with a pro amp and you would be good to go.

I can't see the Athean subs to be that good.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
You never know, I have a problem with the unit having no reviews yet, but from past experience Athena makes great stuff ESP when you factor in the $$.

Brent

KevinCAR

Grip
i have the athena 6000 sub and even though i dont have any experience comparing it to any of the subs that have been listed in this thread, I love my athena sub. The bass is amazing , clear acurate and so deep. I think the sub will do damage to the wall its beside its so deep. Sometimes the bass is so deep the tv goes blurry because of the bass shakinhg your head so much.(listening to music that is) and this with it hooked up to a 10 year old pioneer rec and only running the speaker wires for the leads since this amp doesnt have a sub out rca connector.

do a search theres lots of good stuff on athena speakers, there not that bad at all.

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
Making a lot of noise doesn't necessarily equate to producing accurate low end bass with ample output, that's why me also thinks the SVS sub would be a far better choice. My $0.02...

-THTS

"hi, my name is Frank...and am an SVS bass-aholic..."

brentl

Senior HTF Member
That's exactly why I'm waiting Frank, it's easy to shake a room at 40hz, but a lot harder at 20hz.

Brent

John S

Senior HTF Member
Which is better????

You have a few possible things that can be better?

General sound quality - Gotta give the nod to SVS here.

Low extension - How much out put? How low? - You have to give a slight nod the single SVS here. Dual subs will give you more output down low in general, hard to quantify it.

Meeting large / Difficult room demand - This one is veyr important and the nod goes to the duals most likely, I am not familure with the p6000 subs at all.

Best of luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks