What's new

Which games have the best explosions? (1 Viewer)

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
I got the chance to play MechAssault for the first time just the other day. It wasn't multiplayer, I was just playing some mission, but I had such a great time playing largely due to making every building in the level blow up (while also shooting at tanks and stepping on little soldiers and stuff). There's just something about this game's combination of graphics and sound that makes blowing stuff up a bit more satisfying than in most games.

What other games are really good at making satisfying explosions? Feel free to make an all-time list, if you like.

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Steel Battalion has some nice explosions but, they're nothing quite like Mech Assaults'. I like how S.B. handles the explosion when you target a building. The whole floor that you hit erupts into a long, horizontal fireball, blasting out the windows. It's pretty cool.
Turok has some killer explosions as well. I never played past the 1st game but, even though it was the 1st, some of the explosions would literally wipe out the whole screen.
Halo has some nice ones as well. I really like the way the earth billows up from a ground based explosion.
Still, I have to give it up to Mech Assault for the visceral feel and the graphical level of destruction. I'd have to say it has the best explosions I've seen yet, or at least that I can currently remember. :)

JoshF

Supporting Actor
Taking down Tie Fighters and other enemies in Rogue Leader is pretty nice.

Ratchet & Clank has some VERY satisfying weapons and explosions. Especially in "Giant Clank" mode.

Final Fantasy games have some great explosions.

Taking down planes in Ace Combat 4 is super cool, especially with the black contrails all over the place.

Rob_Pierce

Second Unit
I've only played about 1 hour of Splinter Cell, but there was a tremendous explosion in the first mission (after Training). I hope many more are to come.

Steve Deacon

Stunt Coordinator
Freespace 2 had great explosions, especially when dealing with the destruction of the big capital ships. Not an easy thing to get right, if you want to avoid the crappy "large rotated sprite" effect.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks