What's new

Which DVI Cable (1 Viewer)

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
Hey all.

I'm looking for a cable and i wanna make sure I get the right one. I need a DVI to VGA cable to hook up my PC to my LCD TV. Which TYPE of DVI plug does a video card use? DVI-I, DVI-A etc?

Also, where is a good place to get such a cable for a good price online?

I have a 3 foot VGA cable that came with my TV but it's not long enough. I had bought a 10 foot extension but the quality is low and the connection is real noisy. The 3 foot cable the TV came with has these "Cylinders" on each end of the cable for I believe supressing noise and I need to find a DVI to VGA cable of about 10 feet... preferably with these same Noise reducers near each end of the cable.

Thanks!

Paul Padilla

Supporting Actor
Anything bigger than 6 feet is going to cost you.

Pro Series Digital Video Interface Cable (DVI-IM/DB15M;ANA/VGA)-10' Extention cables are notorious and a 10 footer can be ugly unless you pay for a high quality cable. Make sure you route the cable so it isn't near any power sources. The sheilds near the end of the cables can only do so much.

You might consider trying a higher quality extention with a DVI to VGA adapter. The adapter should only run you $5 or so.

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
I finally remembered what those things on the ends are called that cables often have: Ferrite Beads.

Anyway so Paul are you saying a Staight DVI cable to VGA of about 10 feet is just going to cost too much and I am better of getting a VGA extension cable and then a DVI adapter? (I have the adapter already btw)

Where could I get a good extension cable? With ferritte attached perferably.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I bought a 25 foot HDMI->DVI cable for $34 US. It works perfectly, feeding 1920x1080i or 1280x720 to my projector.

A DVI cable of 10 feet should cost around $10-15 US if you order from www.monoprice.com - they are so cheap if it doesn't work you don't care - but they seem to work wonderfully! :) BTW, look carefully on their website - they do carry cables with ferrite cores up to 15 feet long.

You can buy a DVI cable ($15 or less), and then a DVI->VGA adapter ($4 or so).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks