What's new

Help with upgrades (1 Viewer)

fourweeks

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul
I cant seem to find a good answer to this question. I have a 7.1 marantz sr5600 that drives a Runco cl-420. Surround sound speakers installed in the walls, bass woofer on floor. There are no HDMI outputs in this receiver but there is a DVI-d on the Runco and a DVI cable run in the ceiling with the component cables. Currently, everything I have is on component video including a jailbroke apple TV1. The ATV1 is getting pretty slow and I would like to upgrade the receiver to something with HDMI and place an adapter on the dvi cable to send video to the Runco from the AV receiver. (Runco max is 1080i) which I have been happy with. Will this work? and....what receiver should I upgrade to? I don't have to have brand new stuff. Just want to get newer and faster streaming to the Runco like with a Amazon fire TV. It will probably have to have a frew optical audio ports. Thanks so much

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
What is your budget? That would help us narrow down some suggestions for you. Welcome to the forum.

fourweeks

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul
600.00$ or less on receiver. Would like to keep the Runco for a while, paid a pile for it. Just worried about dvi-d to HDMI on the receiver. It is HDCP, however.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
Sounds like a basic 7.1 (do you have all seven speakers hooked up?) would probably do you fine. Something like this Denon AVR-X1100W refurb for $300 would be something to look at. Audyssey Silver, wifi, and Bluetooth are all built into this unit.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
You have a couple of choices in this area, Denon AVR X1200W or the Pioneer Elite Receiver VSX 90 (the one I have). I suggest those two because of the price range and the fact you are rocking a Marantz 7.1 receiver and they both have multiple HDMI inputs and outputs. Both units have Wi-Fi capabilities and Bluetooth as well. The Pioneer has Pandora and an HDMI that is MHL capable for your Roku or Amazon Stick. You will probably need a HDMI to DVI-D converter box with audio so that you can run it from the new receiver to the Runco. You have a wide selection of converter boxes on Amazon and possibly Parts Express.com or Monoprice.com. That should work and if you keep the audio through the receiver, you will be able to rock up to 7.2 content or Dolby Atmos.

Last edited:

fourweeks

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul
Thanks! yes, I am using all 7 speakers. Regarding the DVI connection, Why wouldn't video just HDMI out (monitor port) to DVI-d adapter to DVI cable to DVI connection on Runco projector not work for the video signal. The TV tuner and the streaming box will all just go into their respective HDMI ports? I must be missing something

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks