What's new

Which Classic Westerns would you like to see Remastered to Blu-Ray? (1 Viewer)

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
It looks like Little Big Man (1970) is OOP in America (although you can buy it cheap enough in Europe s/h). I hope that means it's getting a nice new transfer, maybe even a Paramount Presents release, it certainly deserves it.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
It looks like Little Big Man (1970) is OOP in America (although you can buy it cheap enough in Europe s/h). I hope that means it's getting a nice new transfer, maybe even a Paramount Presents release, it certainly deserves it.
I got the bluray when it was first released, a nice transfre but a 4k or a crisper trasfer to BR would be well recieved

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
The Searchers (already much discussed)
Hallelujah Trail (already much discussed)
I put this news in the streaming forum (to answer a question), but it's much better here. It's been reported that a UHD (plus Blu-ray) Media Book edition will be released in Germany next year (no date yet), I don't think the specs are right, as the English track wouldn't be mono. It's 2:35, so I'd think it's the same as the streaming version. Anyway, I'll keep an eye open for it.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Agree with all these, Randall.

I believe Colorado Territory is being released tomorrow on Blu-ray as disc 2 of the High Sierra set by Criterion.

Thank you Ramin! I don't know how I missed that, and I knew that Criterion was releasing High Sierra. It isn't often that a much desired film unto itself is included as part of the bonus features for another class film. But of course it makes more (delightful) sense when it's the same director's transposition of the same story to another genre, as with Colorado Territory, which should look stunning in HD, as it was filmed so beautifully and it's a great film unto itself. What a bargain to get Colorado Territory along with the immortal High Sierra!

BTW, Anybody who thinks the slang term 'Swag' is a more modern day contrivance needs to see Colorado Territory...

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I put this news in the streaming forum (to answer a question), but it's much better here. It's been reported that a UHD (plus Blu-ray) Media Book edition will be released in Germany next year (no date yet), I don't think the specs are right, as the English track wouldn't be mono. It's 2:35, so I'd think it's the same as the streaming version. Anyway, I'll keep an eye open for it.

The streaming version is really good but it looks like it came from some kind of 35mm reduction IP that only uses the scope part of the negative which means that a substantial part of the picture is missing and a lot of detail is left on the table, too.

It speaks for the quality of the photography and the large negative that The Hallelujah Trail still looks so good under these circumstances.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I'd like to get The Battle at Apache Pass. It's part of an informal trilogy of films in which Jeff Chandler portrays Cochise. Kino already released Broken Arrow and Taza, Son of Cochise. I liked them a lot.

I second The Last Wagon.

Curious what you mean about "3D effect" scenes in McKenna's Gold.

I would definitely like to see a great many of the actual 3-D Westerns of the 1950s remastered.

Most notably
The Charge at Feather River (Guy Madison)
Hondo (John Wayne)
Fort Ti (George Montgomery)
The Stranger Wore a Gun (Randolph Scott)
The Moonlighter (Barbara Stanwyck, Fred McMurray)
The Bounty Hunter (Randolph Scott)
Southwest Passage (John Ireland, Joanne Dru)
Hondo is particularly galling, as a 3D DCP already exists.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Agree with many already cited...Just a few off the top of my head...

Dark Command (1940) Raoul Walsh, w/ Claire Trevor, John Wayne, Walter Pidgeon, Roy Rogers, Gabby Hayes...more Roy Rogers on Blu would be great, any and all...

Colorado Territory (1948) Raoul Walsh w/ Joel McCrea, Virginia Mayo, Dorothy Malone.

Along The Great Divide (1951) Raoul Walsh w/ Kirk Douglass, Virginia Mayo, John Agar, Walter Brennan...

Devil's Doorway (1950) Anthony Mann w/ Robert Taylor, Paula Raymond, Louis Calhern...

Westward The Women (1951) William Wellman w/ Robert Taylor, Denice Darcel, John McIntire, Hope Emerson...

The Lone Ranger (1956) and The Lone Ranger And The Lost City Of Gold (1958) Stuart Heisler, Lesley Selander w/ Clayton Moore, Jay Silverheels...

Will Penny (1967) Tom Gries w/ Charlton Heston, Joan Hackett, Donald Pleasence, Ben Johnson, Slim Pickens, Anthony Zerbe, Bruce Dern, Lee Majors...

And many more...
COLORADO TERRITORY was released by Criterion on the HIGH SIERRA Blu ray.

Sheldon Hall

Auditioning
There must be thousands of westerns, & westerns are the films I get the biggest kick out of owning. A few wanted titles off the top of my head:

The Phantom Empire (1935) serial
Zorro's Fighting Legion (1938) serial
They Died With Their Boots On (1941)
3 Godfathers (1948)
The Big Sky (1952)
MacKenna's Gold (1969) - Come on Sony!*
Pat Garrett And Billy The Kid (1973) - Surely it must happen. Surely.

*I have the French release, but it's an old transfer with unremovable subs. Sony seems to have been a bit quiet on catalogue releases lately. Twilight Time used to release a lot of new Sony transfers, but now they're gone, no other company seems to release them. I do hope that Sony are still doing great work on their back catalogue.
If you want Sony titles in high-quality, extras-laden Blu-ray packages, I suggest you acquire a multi-region BD player and look up the catalogue of Indicator, the label owned by Powerhouse Films: https://www.powerhousefilms.co.uk/

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks