What's new

Swashbucklers, Pirates and Sword & Vengence Epics - Which titles are you Needing in your collection? (1 Viewer)

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Still hoping for Warner Archive Captain Blood.
questions mattel GIF

Beckford

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken
Huge announcement! Cohen will be bringing us a Douglas Fairbanks double bill of "Robin Hood"(1922) and "The Black Pirate"(1926). On Bluray July 25th via Kino.
Wow! Double Wow! The Blu-ray release event of the year.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I'd love to see a resotred BD release of "Nate and Hayes" or "Cut Throat Island" for the more modern adventure flicks!!

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
The 30s adventures from Alexander Dumas all need a domestic restoration and BS release. The French did wonderful editions but all the bonus materials are in French Only...
The Count of Monte Christo ~

Man in the Iron Mask ~

Black Magic ~ (ClassicFlicks did a fair rendering)

The Corsican Brothers ~

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
How does The Black Pirate look? I saw it at Film Forum and I never knew two color films were so beautiful. It was gorgeous.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
It looks like it has a radically different look.

Thanks Alan, Yeah...my biggest issue with the samples shown were the flesh tones. They took period and believable ones and dumped a bucket of yellow on them, why?
I appreciate the added detail and texture from the 4K, but it seems a real heavy hand was used in the final color grading. some came out fime and others just left me scratching my head in wonder...

Last edited:

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
How does The Black Pirate look? I saw it at Film Forum and I never knew two color films were so beautiful. It was gorgeous.
I got the Kino Edition and it has great bonus material as well that discusses the 2 color process and Fairbanks' push fro the new process. I'm curious about the Cohen Ent. 2 fer Edition...

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I purchased a copy of Cutthroat Island on 4K late last year as a blind buy and only recently was I able to carve some time out and watch the film. First off, the 4K scan looked utterly gorgeous on my calibrated OLED. My goodness - thank the Heavens for filmed content. I'm just a regular guy - I don't claim to know better than others (I don't), which is probably why I'm not sensitive to things like poor encodes or low nit counts (lol) or out of whack gamma or anything like that, but I do know a proper restoration when I see one and the picture quality on this disc is just mindblowing. Granted, the film is from 1995 so it's relatively recent and it should look good by default, right? Well, whatever the case may be this is one beautiful 4K disc. StudioCanal doesn't exactly have a perfect track record when it comes to restorations (there was room for improvement on the John Carpenter titles, for instance) but they pulled this one off beautifully.

Now, on to the film. I'd heard mostly not-so-positive feedback over the years about the film being a real turkey and, I gotta admit it started out fairly hokey but as the film progressed I got more and more into it. The final third really drew me in further and, overall, I had a good time watching it this past Sunday. It's not perfect - Geena Davis as a pirate was a tough pill to swallow - and the first third was fairly dull and uninteresting IMO but the production values were top notch and the action does pick up considerably towards the finale. The PQ will draw you in even more, especially if you have a higher end calibrated set. I love Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean franchise and I now think of Cutthroat Island as a kind of precursor to those huge blockbusters which, I feel, has a similar look and feel if maybe not the star appeal. I don't know how true the rumors are that Cutthroat Island was the film that finally sunk Carolco Pictures but the film did tank at the Box Office and the studio, well, kinda disppeared shortly after.

I think this is the kind of film that did not generate any buzz upon initial release but may end up a cult hit and be rediscovered by fans of fun big budget pirate movies the world over. Of course, that did not help the Producers any back in 1995 but it still means their hard work will finally be validated now by new and appreciative audiences and that's never a bad thing. My first time viewing experience certainly made a new fan out of me.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I purchased a copy of Cutthroat Island on 4K late last year as a blind buy and only recently was I able to carve some time out and watch the film. First off, the 4K scan looked utterly gorgeous on my calibrated OLED. My goodness - thank the Heavens for filmed content. I'm just a regular guy - I don't claim to know better than others (I don't), which is probably why I'm not sensitive to things like poor encodes or low nit counts (lol) or out of whack gamma or anything like that, but I do know a proper restoration when I see one and the picture quality on this disc is just mindblowing. Granted, the film is from 1995 so it's relatively recent and it should look good by default, right? Well, whatever the case may be this is one beautiful 4K disc. StudioCanal doesn't exactly have a perfect track record when it comes to restorations (there was room for improvement on the John Carpenter titles, for instance) but they pulled this one off beautifully.

Now, on to the film. I'd heard mostly not-so-positive feedback over the years about the film being a real turkey and, I gotta admit it started out fairly hokey but as the film progressed I got more and more into it. The final third really drew me in further and, overall, I had a good time watching it this past Sunday. It's not perfect - Geena Davis as a pirate was a tough pill to swallow - and the first third was fairly dull and uninteresting IMO but the production values were top notch and the action does pick up considerably towards the finale. The PQ will draw you in even more, especially if you have a higher end calibrated set. I love Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean franchise and I now think of Cutthroat Island as a kind of precursor to those huge blockbusters which, I feel, has a similar look and feel if maybe not the star appeal. I don't know how true the rumors are that Cutthroat Island was the film that finally sunk Carolco Pictures but the film did tank at the Box Office and the studio, well, kinda disppeared shortly after.

I think this is the kind of film that did not generate any buzz upon initial release but may end up a cult hit and be rediscovered by fans of fun big budget pirate movies the world over. Of course, that did not help the Producers any back in 1995 but it still means their hard work will finally be validated now by new and appreciative audiences and that's never a bad thing. My first time viewing experience certainly made a new fan out of me.
Thanks CM, I also was happy to see Studio Canal take a swing at this film. In many ways this movie kinda reminded me of films like Against All Flags/ the Kings Pirate (the latter-day remake with Doug McClure and Jill St, John). Both of those had their fair share of quirkyness but the action made up for it.

Another film that had the right idea at the wrong time was another fun pirate/adventure movie, IMO, "Nate & Hayes" that for whatever reason never got the love and support that it needed.

So as you mentioned, perhaps these will finally receive the audience that they wanted and finally aquire the cult status that they never got from their original runs. With the release of Cutthroat Island, there's always the hope for a BD release of Nate & Hayes as well...I guess we'll see??

Last edited:

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
I've also purchased the steelbook of this release, but haven't watched it yet.
I fear that I might be let down! Didn't you have a problem with the yellow tint then?

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I've also purchased the steelbook of this release, but haven't watched it yet.
I fear that I might be let down! Didn't you have a problem with the yellow tint then?

I didn't notice a yellow tint at all. As I said, I thought the PQ was just gorgeous - no signs of DNR or color issues. Who is saying there's a yellow tint?

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks