What's new

Which Classic Westerns would you like to see Remastered to Blu-Ray? (1 Viewer)

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I was going through my westrns the other day, and looked at what was given the upgrades and which titles are only on DVD. Over time I have replaced the DVD versions for the upgraded BR discs. With major titles like High Noon, Once Upon a time in the West and others, there are some westerns that just haven't gotten the love yet. I was just wondering if there are others out there that are asking the same questions that I am?
3 titles in my collection that I'd love to see given some love are:
The Iron Mistress (1952) Allen Ladd, Virginia Mayo - suedo-history adaption of the Jim Bowie adventures. (Warner Bros)

The Mississippi Gambler (1953) Tyrone Power - A fun movie, Power a bit past his Zorro prime, but still has enough "power" to pull it off. Nice inner action and storyline. (Universal)

McKenna's Gold (1968) Gregory Peck and an allstar cast in this almost John Ford-esque epic western. It was truly made for the wide screen, with several "3D effect" scenes.
There is a French BR release and it not bad, but you'd think that Sony would step up and do a better job with their own property?

Anyway, what titles are on your wishlist in the Westerns catagoy?

Attachments

• 58ef823ca0249_395972b.jpg
    58ef823ca0249_395972b.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 38
  • 71BoserI-1L.jpg
    71BoserI-1L.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 71DoprrOycL._SL1000_.jpg
    71DoprrOycL._SL1000_.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 40

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
I'd love to see the Christmas-oriented TRAIL OF ROBIN HOOD (1951) with Roy Rogers and other Republic western guest stars get a Blu-ray release. TCM aired Paramount's restored Trucolor print back in 2018 and it looked fantastic.

Also, I agree with Capt Cheese Pro about McKENNA'S GOLD. It always reminded me of a 60's Cecil B. DeMille movie.

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
I think I've done a list like this before. I'm up for just about any vintage western, although my list would also lean heavily towards a lot of b-series, including some examples that are often neglected little gems. Items which also would be in desperate need of an upgrade, if elements allow. Anyway, here's my quick list (and I did this off the cuff, so I'm sure I've left out a lot of favorites):

1. THE TOLL GATE (1920) William S. Hart
2. WILD HORSE MESA (1925) Jack Holt
3. THE GREAT K&A TRAIN ROBBERY (1926) Tom Mix
4. DESERT VENGEANCE (1931) Buck Jones
5. MYSTERY RANCH (1932) George O'Brien
6. RIDER OF DEATH VALLEY (1932) Tom Mix
7. TO THE LAST MAN (1933) Randolph Scott
8. WHEN A MAN'S A MAN (1;935) George O'Brien
9. SILVER SPURS (1936) Buck Jones
10. THE LAST OUTLAW (1936) Harry Carey
11. GOLD MINE IN THE SKY (1938) Gene Autry
12. STAGE TO CHINO (1940) George O'Brien
13. KING OF THE COWBOYS (1943) Roy Rogers
14. DON'T FENCE ME IN (1945) Roy Rogers
15. CORONER CREEK (1948) Randolph Scott
16. HELLFIRE (1949) William Elliott
17. TRAIL OF ROBIN HOOD (1950) Roy Rogers
18. SADDLE TRAMP (1950) Joel McCrea
19. RIDE THE MAN DOWN (1952) Rod Cameron
20. A DAY OF FURY (1956) Dale Robertson

and, a few 'lost' silents, which would be high on my agenda:

1. THE MOON RIDERS (1920-Universal serial) Art Acord
2. CODE OF THE WEST (1925) Owen Moore, Constance Bennett
3. SUNDOWN (1924) Bessie Love, Roy Stewart
4. JESSE JAMES (1927) Fred Thomson, Nora Lane
5. WANDERER OF THE WASTELAND (1924) Jack Holt (early Technicolor)
6. THE GOLDEN PRINCESS (1925) Betty Bronson

(correction by moderator on implicit request of OP - CA)

Last edited by a moderator:

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Agree with many already cited...Just a few off the top of my head...

Dark Command (1940) Raoul Walsh, w/ Claire Trevor, John Wayne, Walter Pidgeon, Roy Rogers, Gabby Hayes...more Roy Rogers on Blu would be great, any and all...

Colorado Territory (1948) Raoul Walsh w/ Joel McCrea, Virginia Mayo, Dorothy Malone.

Along The Great Divide (1951) Raoul Walsh w/ Kirk Douglass, Virginia Mayo, John Agar, Walter Brennan...

Devil's Doorway (1950) Anthony Mann w/ Robert Taylor, Paula Raymond, Louis Calhern...

Westward The Women (1951) William Wellman w/ Robert Taylor, Denice Darcel, John McIntire, Hope Emerson...

The Lone Ranger (1956) and The Lone Ranger And The Lost City Of Gold (1958) Stuart Heisler, Lesley Selander w/ Clayton Moore, Jay Silverheels...

Will Penny (1967) Tom Gries w/ Charlton Heston, Joan Hackett, Donald Pleasence, Ben Johnson, Slim Pickens, Anthony Zerbe, Bruce Dern, Lee Majors...

And many more...

Last edited:

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

Dark Command (1940) Raoul Walsh, w/ Claire Trevor, John Wayne, Walter Pidgeon, Roy Rogers, Gabby Hayes...more Roy Rogers on Blu would be great, any and all...

Colorado Territory (1948) Raoul Walsh w/ Joel McCrea, Virginia Mayo, Dorothy Malone.

Along The Great Divide (1951) Raoul Walsh w/ Kirk Douglass, Virginia Mayo, John Agar, Walter Brennan...

Devil's Doorway (1950) Anthony Mann w/ Robert Taylor, Paula Raymond, Louis Calhern...

Westward The Women (1951) William Wellman w/ Robert Taylor, Denice Darcel, John McIntire, Hope Emerson...

The Lone Ranger (1956) and The Lone Ranger And The Lost City Of Gold (1958) Stuart Heisler, Lesley Selander w/ Clayton Moore, Jay Silverheels...

Will Penny (1967) Tom Gries w/ Charlton Heston, Joan Hackett, Donald Pleasence, Ben Johnson, Slim Pickens, Anthony Zerbe, Bruce Dern, Lee Majors...

And many more...
Dark Command was released on Blu-ray by Olive.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
There must be thousands of westerns, & westerns are the films I get the biggest kick out of owning. A few wanted titles off the top of my head:

The Phantom Empire (1935) serial
Zorro's Fighting Legion (1938) serial
They Died With Their Boots On (1941)
3 Godfathers (1948)
The Big Sky (1952)
MacKenna's Gold (1969) - Come on Sony!*
Pat Garrett And Billy The Kid (1973) - Surely it must happen. Surely.

*I have the French release, but it's an old transfer with unremovable subs. Sony seems to have been a bit quiet on catalogue releases lately. Twilight Time used to release a lot of new Sony transfers, but now they're gone, no other company seems to release them. I do hope that Sony are still doing great work on their back catalogue.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin

And many more...

Agree with all these, Randall.

I believe Colorado Territory is being released tomorrow on Blu-ray as disc 2 of the High Sierra set by Criterion.

Last edited:

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
Eh, I knew I typed up my list too fast. Just noticed I mixed up the title on that great 1931 Buck Jones western, which is "DESERT VENGEANCE," not "Border Vengeance." Seems too late for me to edit it. Sure would love a good print of that one, with its gritty atmosphere, its 'real' ghost-town location, and violent, near-apocalyptic finale. All I've ever encountered of it printwise are muddy, dupey tape-transfers of 1950s-vintage 16mm tv-syndication prints.

(changed it for you - CA)

Last edited by a moderator:

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
There must be thousands of westerns, & westerns are the films I get the biggest kick out of owning. A few wanted titles off the top of my head:

The Phantom Empire (1935) serial
Zorro's Fighting Legion (1938) serial
They Died With Their Boots On (1941)
3 Godfathers (1948)
The Big Sky (1952)
MacKenna's Gold (1969) - Come on Sony!*
Pat Garrett And Billy The Kid (1973) - Surely it must happen. Surely.

*I have the French release, but it's an old transfer with unremovable subs. Sony seems to have been a bit quiet on catalogue releases lately. Twilight Time used to release a lot of new Sony transfers, but now they're gone, no other company seems to release them. I do hope that Sony are still doing great work on their back catalogue.
Didn't Twilight time get taken over? I seem to remember something about that when the press release was dropped about the closing of TT.
Also Ilove the crazy and weird serial The Phantom Empire - a cross between Buck Rogers and your favorite singing cowboy, righting wrongs and saving the ranch!! I have the DVD set but an upgrade to BR would be a wonderful thing to behold!! Nice List by the way!!!

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Eh, I knew I typed up my list too fast. Just noticed I mixed up the title on that great 1931 Buck Jones western, which is "DESERT VENGEANCE," not "Border Vengeance." Seems too late for me to edit it. Sure would love a good print of that one, with its gritty atmosphere, its 'real' ghost-town location, and violent, near-apocalyptic finale. All I've ever encountered of it printwise are muddy, dupey tape-transfers of 1950s-vintage 16mm tv-syndication prints.
Thanks for the update, ther's alway the one you forget until after you leave, like a grocery list, LOL!!! It's sad that companies, like Alpha Video, that only use whatever copy of the films they can and drop them directly on to DVD. The problem is these are just a finger above a burned copy, and shows little to no appreciation of the films that are public domain or not.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Agree with all these, Randall.

I believe Colorado Territory is being released tomorrow on Blu-ray as disc 2 of the High Sierra set by Criterion.

Thanks, some real nice additions. Both the Clayton Moore/Jay Silverheels in HD would be amazing!

Interdimensional

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ed
I'd like to get The Battle at Apache Pass. It's part of an informal trilogy of films in which Jeff Chandler portrays Cochise. Kino already released Broken Arrow and Taza, Son of Cochise. I liked them a lot.

I second The Last Wagon.

McKenna's Gold (1968) Gregory Peck and an allstar cast in this almost John Ford-esque epic western. It was truly made for the wide screen, with several "3D effect" scenes.
There is a French BR release and it not bad, but you'd think that Sony would step up and do a better job with their own property?

Curious what you mean about "3D effect" scenes in McKenna's Gold.

I would definitely like to see a great many of the actual 3-D Westerns of the 1950s remastered.

Most notably
The Charge at Feather River (Guy Madison)
Hondo (John Wayne)
Fort Ti (George Montgomery)
The Stranger Wore a Gun (Randolph Scott)
The Moonlighter (Barbara Stanwyck, Fred McMurray)
The Bounty Hunter (Randolph Scott)
Southwest Passage (John Ireland, Joanne Dru)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks